1955 Ford C600 Cabover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Score!

I scored a flatbed for Buford yesterday. I was planning on building a bed but I found this one on Craigs List. It is 8 feet long and I need it to be 11 feet long. I am going to add 3' to the front and rather than try to match the wood, I am going to floor the extension with diamond plate. [;)

It has new Red Oak boards, all new bolts with double nuts, new lights, a new backup alarm. It also has a headache rack with it. I'm not gonna use the rack but it is a lot of metal I can use. The bed is really nice and I got it for 150 bucks! AND.....it will save me a bunch of time. I have a friend with a rollback. We will get it next week.:cool:

Lynn

Attachments

• 101_6895.jpg
    101_6895.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 101_6896.jpg
    101_6896.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 49
Yeppy...

Thanks, Bob W, I'm happy.:D

Thanks Ray. I've not priced everything but I'm going....I'm curious just how much it would cost.;)

Lynn

Flatbed.

Yeah thanks, Dirtyrat. I got the bed home today.

I'm even happier with it than when i bought it. It is really well built and everything except the frame is new.

As I said in a previous post, I need to extend it 3 feet. I got a headache rack with it. I plan on laying it down and attaching the rack to the front of the bed to make it 11 feet long. (That's what I need for my wheelbase.) I'm gonna floor that part with diamond plate so I won't have to try to match the wood.[;)

I have been doing some body work for the last week and a half. I also painted my wheels.

I know we like fotos so here are some better ones.:D

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 31
The bed looks great Lynn and the diamond plate idea will work well I think.....solve your length problem without looking like it's eleven feet long. The wheels turned out nice........too bad you couldn't find some wide ones though :p

[P[P[P

Still here.....

I got my tires mounted and on Buford. I think they are big enough. LOL.:D:D

Also I had to repaint the dash and steering wheel. Didn't turn out well the first time.....looks better now.:cool:

I'm moving my radiator up 4 inches so the bottom hose neck will not be so close to the torsion bar. While I have it out, I am mounting my electric fans to the radiator. The double fans are from an 06 GTO, given to me by a friend(thanks RawRods). Got another buddy coming Thursday to help me finish plumbing the engine and hopefully get it running. Moving right along......[;)

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 72
Nope......

Thanks Pugs, Old Ladys Mad and Bob W for the comments.

Well, Buford ain't runnin. Another forum member, Old Ladys Mad, came over to help me on Thursday. We ran some of the wiring but not enough to start it. We ran all the trunk lines except the dash wiring over and down the right kick panel. I should get some more done this week.

I had to replace a gear in my Port-a-band......That killed a day but I needed to get it fixed. I mount it vertically on the end of my workbench and it is great for making small cuts

Sorry guys....no pics. Haven't done enough to take pics.:mad::(

Maybe someday.....

Okay....here's the deal! I was planning on using the electric fans, as I stated before but,,,,, I figured if they ever failed, they would be very expensive to replace. (They are from an 06 GTO.) So I wanted to use my clutch fan but since I got Buford so low, the radiator was nowhere close to the fan. (.....well, the frame and motor aren't low, just the cab). So since I was moving the radiator up, I decided to move it up far enough to position it in front of the clutch fan. I got plenty of room to go up the way the hood is made. I bought new stock radiator hoses and used them to put the radiator in it's stock position (like it was in the donor van).

I'll still have to mount my original radiator support down low (without the radiator) because all my front end sheet metal mounts to that support.

You can see in the attached photos how low the cab is in relation to the E150 frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 40
Pretty cool, huh?

I really hate to lay upside down under a dash and try to see a fuse panel. I decided to use the ashtray location to mount my mini-fuse panel. Too dang far away from the driver to use as an ashtray anyway.:cool:

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 49
Nice use of the ashtray Lynn! [cl Great minds think alike ;) My Willys has two glove boxes, one in the regular place and one directly in front of the steering wheel.......I plan to put my fuses in the one in front of the steering wheel.

[P[P[P

Yeppie...

Thanks Ray. It's just a lot easier on this old man to plan ahead. :D

BTW, I got the mini-fuse panel and it doesn't take much space. You probably know but they now make fuses that light up when they are blown!.... What'll they think of next??? [S[S

Lynn

I'm with ya on the blown fuse thing. Good idea on placement. I'll steal (use) your idea if ya don't mind on my next projects.

Latest posts

Back