1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think that this is bad you should try getting repro sheet metal parts to line up.:eek: :D
Your wagon is the same age as I am and nothing fits right on me any more either.;)
Lots of stretching and flexing since the day that wagon was first put together. Once it it is done you will be the only one that notices all the little things.
I had a friend that used to sell everything that he bought and redid because he just couldn't get over the fact that nothing turned out as good as he wanted it too. And his work was meticulous.
From what I can see. You are doing great......[cl
Torchie
X2^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think your work looks great too [cl
We are our own worst critiques [S
We know where the flaws and mis-alignments are and even the ones covered up that no one else in the world will ever see.
Have you ever shown someone something you've done and stood right there and pointed out these anomalies as I have :p
The growth on the duck's bill is a harmless anomaly :)
Harmless is the key word. We all get so caught up in something being perfect and drive our selves crazy over something that in the long run only matters to us.
I know that the only person we really have to satisfy is our self.
I'd like to point out the one I think is the most talented person on this forum, zzrodder, I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut he has things on every build that he's not satisfied with but, also knows, these are not Riddler award winning rides either.
I respect the quality of work you strive for.
It impresses me how good your craftsmanship is and I feel honored to be apart of this forum because of it.
Roll on with your build, I love what you've done with the wagon [cl :cool:

Thanks guys. I have a relatively short memory, I'll forget it's not perfect once I'm done with this part of the project.

The springs are getting pretty easy to remove - they're off again. The back of the hood was not going down when closed, but I could push it down. Has to be slop in the hinges - right?

So I'm rebuilding the hinge pivots. Pics tomorrow.

It's been awhile since I've adjusted hinges but, don't they pivot at the point where they bolt to the firewall to take care of the back edge of the hood being held down?

Thanks guys. I have a relatively short memory, I'll forget it's not perfect once I'm done with this part of the project.

The springs are getting pretty easy to remove - they're off again. The back of the hood was not going down when closed, but I could push it down. Has to be slop in the hinges - right?

So I'm rebuilding the hinge pivots. Pics tomorrow.

This may not apply to your year wagon DJ but on earlier Fords you had to raise the hinge to lower the hood.. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it.[S
Torchie

It's been awhile since I've adjusted hinges but, don't they pivot at the point where they bolt to the firewall to take care of the back edge of the hood being held down?

This may not apply to your year wagon DJ but on earlier Fords you had to raise the hinge to lower the hood.. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it.[S
Torchie

Thanks for this input. I was firmly convinced I could adjust the hinge on the firewall to get the back down. The hinges started all the way down. I did the front up, back down. Back up, front down. Both up. At some point it fits pretty well, but only if I push the back of the hood down.

Here's the problem after I drilled the head off the rivet. The slop translates to about 1/4" at the rear of the hood.

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 23
hood hinges

The fix for the worn out linkage holes.
IMG_1760.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I put the link in the vise on the milling machine and located the unworn part of the hole. Then I welded it and waited for it to cool. Back in the vise I used an end mill the make the new hole.

IMG_1766.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1767.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1/2" Clevis pins were cut, drilled and tapped.

IMG_1770.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The plan changed to include flanged oil-light, bronze bushings. I had to open up the 1/2" holes I made with the end mill to 5/8". Truss head 5/16 screws were assembled with red Locktite. The male posts were pressed in originally, so I tack welded them.

IMG_1768.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The hinges work much better and the slop is gone. They are back in the car, but the hood isn't bolted on, yet.

Patience is kinda like hard headedness, It's worth it in the end.
Nice job.

I think I'm bumping against the patience limiter. This hinge issue has taken 4 days. I think I have been working on fitting the hood for most of 2 months.

On the upside - I think the hood will be on for the last time today!??

I usually climb that wall with a day off fishing...atleast get somewhere quiet and do something else. Your mind will still be on your project but you won't be getting physically tired too. Probably correct some issues right there in your mind so that when you go back to the project, you follow thru with your plans...[P

Painted

Last week I finally got the front sheet metal as good as it's going to be. The photo shows the hood biased to the driver's side, but it's floppy. A small tug to the passenger side evens up the gaps.
IMG_1776.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The doors line up pretty well with the fenders.

IMG_1777.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It took 2 days to mask everything, then one day was cloudy and cold. Finally Wednesday was sunny and everything was ready to go. I put a couple space heaters in the booth and with the help of the sun got the booth up to 75 degrees. Sprayed sealer (2 coats), base (3 coats) on Wednesday. Thursday I fixed the runs I had created the sealer and shot some more base. Then it got 4 coats of clear. It's still in the "booth" so I haven't seen it in the sunlight. There is some orange peel and some junk in the clear, but nothing that can't be fixed. I'm pretty happy with it. I'd be ecstatic if I didn't have 15 or 20 more parts that need to be painted before I'm done.
IMG_1784.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1785.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[clThat color is super [cl
Congrats on the prep work to get it to this point [;)
The runs are the coolness dripping off the ole Ford :cool:

Looks great. All your hard work is paying off.[cl [cl [cl
Are the any rubber hood bumpers that fit into the inner top edge of the front fenders on that car?. If there are and they are not yet in place they may help with your hood alignment. If not you could fab some up. Nobody would ever notice them with the hood closed.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back