31 Ford AA frame question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

Does anyone have the dimensions of A 31 AA frame? I already have them for the 31 A. I just found out my 31 used to be a dump truck in it's former life. I understand the frame is shortened on these for operating the dump box. (I gave the PTO and winch to my cousin) I'm also led to believe the AA frame is stronger that the regular A frame is. I know the front axle is. I already picked up a 31 A axle and a set of 40 Ford spindles. I want to put a regular pickup box on it. I have some frame pieces laying around, so if I need to extend it some, I can do that. Thanks in advance.

Hey there. I may end up at the garage tomorrow. I will try and get a measurement of my '29AA frame. I would imagine they are the same other than what changes may have been made for the dump. It is supposed to be a bit stronger. The front horns are supposed to be the same and then they beef up towards the rear. Supposedly. Mine is a boat. lol. It is as long, if not longer than the '56 nomad sitting next to it.

Thanks Towb3, If you can, get a measurement from inside to inside rear frame rail just past where the humptie is for the diffy. I need to know because the springs have been removed and the diffy housing welded to the bottom of the frame. It still sets up with 10:00x20s on it. Actually, I would like a 6" box for the back. I may have to end up making one.

I'd love to see a pic of your Nomad. I love the tri 5s. So much that a friend and I formed the Mid Fla Classic Chevy Club in Kissimmee Fla.

I have already pulled all that out. I think I still remember the general area where it was. I think I remember which holes are for the rivets for the spring cross member in the back. I will get that measurement from inside edge to inside edge. There are a couple pictures of the nomad in it here. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12764 .Also, I think the third picture shows the rear. I was thinking you were talking where that cross member was. I will get a few measurements for you and inform you through that picture.

I wish I would have talked to you before my September Florida trip. I stayed in Orlando and wouldn't have minded coming out and checking some stuff out. The "friend" kept me pretty tied up with stuff to do though.

check this thread out of my 56/55 hybrid nomad. It's pretty cool. My Brother in law smashed my 56 nose for me, so I went with my 55 parts car nose.

This is what I have left to work with. Notice the stop light on the back of the cab? You can see where I need the measurements. I have to square the frame up somehow, that's why I need all the measurements I can get. I also heard somewhere that the frame rails are paralleled and not tapered?

DSCN2853.jpg

The back stuff is stripped off as well as the winch

DSCN2849.jpg

DSCN2848.jpg

I'm defiantly keeping the bumper

DSCN2847.jpg

Hrmmmm. I think we may both have something a lil different. Mine do taper out wards. I totally slipped tonight also. We got in the middle of all kinds of silly things. Let me dig around and see what I can find on here. I think I have some measurements on here somewhere. SOrry about that.

I have this on the AA, might help. I left things on the large side so you can read the measurements. Scaled down to the book size and they get a bit small.

Attachments

• AA Cab and chassis.jpg
    AA Cab and chassis.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 25
  • AA Frame.jpg
    AA Frame.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 24
  • AA Text.jpg
    AA Text.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 15
Beautiful. Thanks Sniper. It's just what these tired old eyes needed. Question though, Are the measurements made from bolt hole to bolt hole across the frame? Looking at the picture, one gets that impression. I won't take the cab off until I get all the measurements I can get and compare them with these.

Most are C/L to C/L body mount hole measurements, but if you take a look at the very ends, it gives the outside measurements of the frame. The frame has a taper from front to back. If you need or want the drawings for the pick-ups I have them as well, or if anyone wants them for that matter. Just give me a shout.

Thanks again Sniper. You have been a great help. I believe I already have them. I can't remember where I got them, could have been off here, not for sure. Got to love this site. No one gets in your chit if you want to use a kitchen chair for a drivers seat.

Man, sniper, that is awesome. Sorry I couldn't be of more help old dude

No problem towb3. If anyone needs help and if I can, I'll help. Anyone need any info on the 240-280Z cars? I got a ton of mod info stuff.

I have a 1932 AAB. I know you have never heard of one, but it was made from November to the end on 1931 it would of been a BB if it was made a few days later according to the vin. number. I will have to go out and measure again, but I think at the rear of my frame the rails are 38'' wide and they only get about 2'' narrower just behind the cab. my frame rails are in the back are about 6'' tall and about 8'' under and behind the cab, so the frame is a lot different then an A or B rig. that looks like a great start. I love the commercial rigs. do you have a built thread yet? I would like to have that dump box too.

Latest posts

Back