35 IH AKA Project "Riff Raff" build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking project, powerplant! It's given me many ideas!
I just finished my A & P school a few weeks ago. I'll be doing my Writtens/Orals/Practicals pretty soon, but I don't think/know if I'll be going into the industry. The training was well worth it, though!

I enjoyed all of the Aluminum work we did. I shot a lot of rivets... enough to know what kind of time and patience it takes to make something look GOOD. So I can really appreciate your work! (As well as MOST of the fabber's on this site!)

I'll probably make some seats for my Rod. I'll definitely be looking at yours for ideas!

I look forward to seeing the final product!
-Andrew

Great looking project, powerplant! It's given me many ideas!
I just finished my A & P school a few weeks ago. I'll be doing my Writtens/Orals/Practicals pretty soon, but I don't think/know if I'll be going into the industry. The training was well worth it, though!

I enjoyed all of the Aluminum work we did. I shot a lot of rivets... enough to know what kind of time and patience it takes to make something look GOOD. So I can really appreciate your work! (As well as MOST of the fabber's on this site!)

I'll probably make some seats for my Rod. I'll definitely be looking at yours for ideas!

I look forward to seeing the final product!
-Andrew

A & P certs are a real big certificate Andrew. Not many people in the general public can claim to be worthy of such a sheep skin as that. Your A & P cert is just the same as a bachlors degree, it covers nearly everything an aeronautical engineer would have had to learn. Plus some!
With such a certificate, you can go nearly anywhere you want and at least start out at over $50K. I would think about what you have for a future.
I recieved my certs back in the early 80's and never looked back.:D

Maximo

A & P certs are a real big certificate Andrew. Not many people in the general public can claim to be worthy of such a sheep skin as that. Your A & P cert is just the same as a bachlors degree, it covers nearly everything an aeronautical engineer would have had to learn. Plus some!
With such a certificate, you can go nearly anywhere you want and at least start out at over $50K. I would think about what you have for a future.
I recieved my certs back in the early 80's and never looked back.:D

Maximo

I am in the same boat.... never went into the industry but I have made decent money anyway because of the A&P cert I hold. Quite a few employers hold A&P's in high standards. It has made a better life for me I know.

Yeah! I actually scheduled my Writtens for this Friday/Monday/Tuesday! I should be certified by late next week. Probably going to start looking for jobs pretty soon!

Oh and hey I meant to ask... on those bomber seats, what size(thickness) material did you use? And what was it? 3003, 5052, 6061?

I'm gonna build some. You've inspired me! :D haha...

Oh and hey I meant to ask... on those bomber seats, what size(thickness) material did you use? And what was it? 3003, 5052, 6061?

I'm gonna build some. You've inspired me! :D haha...

I just went to my local steel supplier and asked for cheep aluminum. I am not sure what it is exactly. I do know that it is about .080 thickness though.

here is a few pics of my IH
built in 05
R Mac

That's the one... I knew when I ran across it that I would have to build a similar chassis to yours. I even considered buying some of your rails to get me started but I am just too much of a tightwad. I love the stacks and considered it with mine but I didn't want to copy everything you came up with. I check your webpage from time to time to see what you are building, everything I see is top notch. I am supprised nobody has bought the one you had on ebay awhile ago. I should stop down sometime, I know you are located somewhere in IA.

Not much done in terms of working on the beast however Xmas brought about a Lathe that I spent the better part of 3 weeks cleaning, painting & getting things the way they need to be. The first order of business was to make a set of dimple dies for the seats I have been turning out. That will be the day if I were to spend $500 for a set of dies when I can make them myself.... heck.... it's as if I almost paid for the lathe already. My wife doesn't look at it that way though. Sure makes the seats look better.

Attachments

• 100_3545.jpg
    100_3545.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_3541.jpg
    100_3541.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_3547.jpg
    100_3547.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_3543.jpg
    100_3543.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 79
This is BAADDDDD. I finally got a chance to read this all the way through. Awesome seats, great chop, cool chassis. You got it going on. Love it. Thanks for the pictures.

Look for some updates soon. I am about ready to get it out of the corner of the garage and try to get it on the road before too long. Still have the whole brake system to complete, electrical to run and some other odds and ends. May not be too exciting but I will keep updating.

My major accomplishment over the winter was getting a title and plates for it. Now I just need to get to work!!

Finally some updates... Just trying to get it on the road at this point, nothing too exciting. Started working on the brake pedal & master cylinder mount. Also started in on the electrical, using the harness from the Chevy truck (I know trying to re-use a old electrical harness is asking for problems but I am a tightwad and I don't see anything wrong with it so what the heck). I even used the blinker switch which took some messing with but I will work for now.

Attachments

• Picture 234.jpg
    Picture 234.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 233.jpg
    Picture 233.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 232.jpg
    Picture 232.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 235.jpg
    Picture 235.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 63
More done: I almost have the wiring done, I need some large gauge primary wire and to hook up some sort of switch to my brake pedal and that should be about it. Got my front friction shocks started, I just need to attach them to the suspension. Mounted the battery & gas tank, added some gussets to the hoop on the rear axle. One of my favorites.. the high/low beam kick switch... it's been awhile since I had one of those. Oh yea.. and a horn also. I extended the steering shaft, due to the long arm exiting the cab the steering was way too fast. Adding a little to the arm at the wheel did the trick (I think). I started the brake lines but didn't get any further than the front. Some more time on brake lines and a fuel line... couple more odds and ends and I should be on the road before too long. I have decided not to paint the frame this year as I just want to drive it. This winter I plan on tearing it down and finishing it some here and there.

Oh yea... the wire nuts were just temporary to help me get the wires routed, I have since cleaned it up.

Attachments

• Picture 300.jpg
    Picture 300.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 304.jpg
    Picture 304.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 303.jpg
    Picture 303.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 302.jpg
    Picture 302.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 301.jpg
    Picture 301.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
More pics

Attachments

• Picture 305.jpg
    Picture 305.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 306.jpg
    Picture 306.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 307.jpg
    Picture 307.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 308.jpg
    Picture 308.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 46
i had missed some of the updates in the last few months, but have to say the fab work is truly inspiring-keep up the good work, i'm sure you'll be proud of it when you pull out on the road in it!:cool::D

thanks for sharing...

More done. The brakes are complete including emergency brake. Electrical is done. Ran the hard tubing for the fuel but I still need some hose and hose clamps to finish it up. I still need to mount the seats and belts, install windshield glass, attach the friction shocks in front, put a new seal on the transmission pan and I should be able to drive it. I am guessing my next update will be in the form of a video if I can figure out how to host it on here. Besides that it is just a bunch of tinkering here and there. I am guessing 2 weeks if I am lucky.

Well... the moment we've all been waiting for (well some of us anyway)...

Got enough done to get it on the road. Window glass, exhaust ran under the cab, emergency brake in, front suspension hooked up, seatbelts in. I am probably forgetting some stuff but you get the idea. Still some tweaking to do, the transmission doesn't shift right, the rear suspension still isn't quite right either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZCRfvqNnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYsD5dKn60Y

Latest posts

Back