46 Chevy 1.5 ton to laying frame!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great build. What seats are those? What is the wheelbase?

The seat is out of a 1989 GMC/Izuzu garbage truck. [S:D Its perfect. thin, black, adjustable, back tilts.. etc.. that is the drivers side. The passanger side is a mini bench seat. So i'll either have to find another drives seat.. or cut down the passanger one. Another freebie. [cl A friend of mine bought the truck without the garbage crusher back end on it and he's not going to use the cab. Just wanted the chassis and turbo diesel in it so he could mount his 1952 White semi body on it.

I've not located the rear axle yet exactly. Will be using a triangulated 4 link. But should be in the 104 to 106 inch range.

Really nice build. Kinda partial to what your building. Like what you have done with the grill. Keep up the good work and when you park it hope some lil kid dont shoot it up or stomp on the roof. LOL

Really nice build. Kinda partial to what your building. Like what you have done with the grill. Keep up the good work and when you park it hope some lil kid dont shoot it up or stomp on the roof. LOL

Yah we'll see how it works out. I may cut off a little of the front of the hood to mount on top of the grille so the back is flush. And to cover up the top of the radiator etc... I think it will be good. Its there, its free and its original so i'm pretty set on using it if i can.

LOL.... all that shooting and busting windows sure was fun at the time. Finding that was like hitting the lottery at that age. :D

Love the look but I hope you're short, leg room will be at a minimum. Very clean job on that ind. front people should take notes. Kool ride.

Love the look but I hope you're short, leg room will be at a minimum. Very clean job on that ind. front people should take notes. Kool ride.

I'm not short or small at 6'2" and 240. But with my thin seat i seem to have enough leg room to make it work so far.

Excuse the stupid pose in the pic... the old lady was taking pictures and joking said... give me your Billy Bad Ass pose... so i did. :D

But it gives a reference to the height and size of the cab with me standing beside it.

That is an old pic during wood frame mock up. Didn't use that frame build and the front end is out there alot farther too in that pic.

2894187760032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
That photo really puts some scale on the build.

Got any photos of the suicide door build? Looks like you did a great job on those too.

That photo really puts some scale on the build.

Got any photos of the suicide door build? Looks like you did a great job on those too.

I don't have any unfortunatly. I did that right after i hurt my knee and was basically imobile. I rode my lawn mower out to the shop and sat on a rolling stool to work on stuff for about 2 weeks till i could stand some. I didn't have my camera with me that day.
I can take some of it completed though. Nothing fancy, just moved the stock hinges to the other side of the door. Its not a very good job on those, but it was free and well worth the work after i priced suicide door hinges! WOW those things are high $$$!! :eek:

Great build. What seats are those? What is the wheelbase?

Heres some info and pics of the seat.
Out of a 1989 GMC "Forward" truck. This one was a garbage truck but the Forward was used in alot of different platforms i guess. They have a Izuzu engine.. and from what i'm told its actually an Izuzu truck and some are badged as such instead of using the GMC name.

Info:

Overall height 36"
seat thickness from bottom of rail to top of seat: 7"
Back thickness 4" at widest and 2" at narrowest.
has sliders and the back tilts.
overall pad width(where you sit) 19"

2180632990032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

2755682060032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any unfortunatly. I did that right after i hurt my knee and was basically imobile. I rode my lawn mower out to the shop and sat on a rolling stool to work on stuff for about 2 weeks till i could stand some. I didn't have my camera with me that day.
I can take some of it completed though. Nothing fancy, just moved the stock hinges to the other side of the door. Its not a very good job on those, but it was free and well worth the work after i priced suicide door hinges! WOW those things are high $$$!! :eek:

I had dismissed suiciding the doors until I saw this. I'm going to have to give it some more thought. Yours just looks right.

Thanks for the info on the seat. Most seats are too wide at the bottm and too thick at the back where they hit the back of the cab. Those look like a good choice.

Its really funny, there are three things I (normally) hate in a rat. Chopped tops, petina, and z'd frames. That being said, I cant take my eyes off this truck. It looks amazing. Following the build daily and waiting for more.

I had dismissed suiciding the doors until I saw this. I'm going to have to give it some more thought. Yours just looks right.

Thanks for the info on the seat. Most seats are too wide at the bottm and too thick at the back where they hit the back of the cab. Those look like a good choice.

I forgot to add the bottom seat width. I just edited that post. They are 19" wide.
Thanks for the kind words, its a great motivation!

Latest posts

Back