46 Chevy 1.5 ton to laying frame!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's got a real menacing look to it, LOVIN' IT !! One can only imagine what the econbox drivers will think when they see it coming up in the rearview mirror !

probably something along the lines of "OH #(%!! wth is that - it looks like it wants to eat me -- i better get over NOW"

Thanks for the words everyone!

Took it down and got it weighed today. She weighed 2730lbs.
Still needs glass, passanger seat and grille support rods.

Weighs more than i thought. But i made the frame stout for a big block someday so i'd rather it be heavier than needed than a bent/broken frame!

Still was a little bummed it came in that heavy though.

Thanks for the words everyone!

Took it down and got it weighed today. She weighed 2730lbs.
Still needs glass, passanger seat and grille support rods.

Weighs more than i thought. But i made the frame stout for a big block someday so i'd rather it be heavier than needed than a bent/broken frame!

Still was a little bummed it came in that heavy though.

That's cuz it's made from real steel ! :cool: If you consider that the " sporty " new Challengers and Camaros weigh around 4000 lbs dry, you are still driving a light machine.[cl[cl

Finally got around to making my air cleaner. Just some pics of it in the process.

Made it out of cardboard first so it was easy to change.

2939137990032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

2585589600032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

2838647910032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

Made a base plate out that mounted under a small air filter.

2242626940032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

Bent the rest with a couple peices of angle iron.

2103185740032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

Cut out some areas and welded it the base plate.

2050344330032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

2833375270032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

I put some expanded aluminum(from a screen door) in the cut outs of the steel. I put some sleeves in the back so the alum could just be slide in since once it was welded together i knew it would be impossible to get to any bolts i put back there.
Then used some steel and bolts to hold the alum in.

2586228390032092443S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the words everyone! It came out just like i wanted really, and thats a rarity! :D

Gotta replace or stiffen up the little air cleaner lid. Its not stout enough to deal with the wind pushing up on the scoop.

How did you cut that thin metal? Use a torch or a grinder cut off wheel?

The top is all one piece 20 gauge, i just bent it. Cut the overall shape with a grinder cut off wheel.
The bottom peice is 16 gauge.

The cut outs in the metal i did roughly with a grinder first, then finished cutting the corners with a little dremel cut off wheel. Time consuming project but i like it. The cutouts where mainly for me not wanting to actually shove air in the engine. The freebie carb is already a bit big for my little engine.

You didn’t an amazing job on this [cl wonder what your Grandfather would think :)

Excellent work and in only 11 months, holy crap! [cl[cl[cl

Guess I need to get off the computer and get to work. :eek:

You didn’t an amazing job on this [cl wonder what your Grandfather would think :)

Excellent work and in only 11 months, holy crap! [cl[cl[cl

Guess I need to get off the computer and get to work. :eek:

I think he'd like it. Not exactly what he thought it would become i'm sure. Hell in 1946 when they bought it they used the truck as a tractor to plow the fields along with its normal truck duties. Seemed crazy when i was told that but i guess it was fairly common thing to do when you were poor.

And in all fairness the first three months i worked on it i was unemployeed, so i got alot of time in on it then.

We had a professional photographer here last Saturday to take engagement pictures so i had him take some of the truck so i'd have some decent pics of it.
Still waiting to get them sent to me. Will post them asap.

Ass a side note, bat pee permanently etches itself into paint!! Nothing i've used(that i think won't eat paint) will get it off. Luckily this is slightly less than show quality paint! :D:D:D:D

Latest posts

Back