'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's magic!
Duct tape on the back for the poser shot to see if I liked it. I do!
When I cut the thicker one I'll plug weld from the back.

Plug weld from the back, dah:eek: i'll have to do that to the long flames, i just welded it where it over lapped the mount [S
i should have ask like O.I. did but i was in a hurry [cl

Tailgate latches and cables

I didn't want the old swingin chains so this is what I came up with.
$12 for the latches and $18 for the cables. Nothing showing on the outside of the bed and no rattles. I still want to put covers over the latch springs and then some more of that finish welding.

It's cold and raining here today and my old bones are aching so I QUIT!
I'm sure it'll still be there next week when I get back to it.

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3287.jpg
    IMG_3287.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 43
My aunts coming next week from Lexington, you can catch a ride with her.
It would be a heck of a trip tho. She talks nonstop and is 88 yrs old and drives all over the country.

I'd enjoy talking to you.

I think i'll have to pass on the road with your aunt! However you could have her bring the bed back with her on a trailer, I promise i'll bring the bed back after I test fit it on my 37 Dodge:rolleyes:

I'm sure it'll still be there next week when I get back to it.[/QUOTE]

NEXT WEEK, ......NEXT WEEK.......we can't wait till next week!!!!!!
really nice work on the bed Pops.....(it's ok if you take a break)

I like the latches. I've seen them slipped into the top tube of the tail gate too for a clean look. [P

I'm with you - hate the rattling chains. Nice solution.

With another roll pin sticking out of one side and a slot in the bracket you could 1/4 turn the latches to hold them open. Might be easier to close the gate one hand at a time.

That bed is really nice work.

I think i'll have to pass on the road with your aunt! However you could have her bring the bed back with her on a trailer, I promise i'll bring the bed back after I test fit it on my 37 Dodge:rolleyes:

She said "I don't do trailers." Sorry Bruno. If you want it you're going to have to come and get I guess.

Thanks guys.

I like the latches. I've seen them slipped into the top tube of the tail gate too for a clean look. [P

I thought about that but I took the easy way out.

Looking great Pops! [cl Whats the plan for the bed floor?

Probably hinged aluminum tread plate with lockable storage underneath.

[cl[cl[cl on the bed. When does it find a home[S

After I get it in primer stage.

I'm sure it'll still be there next week when I get back to it.

NEXT WEEK, ......NEXT WEEK.......we can't wait till next week!!!!!!
really nice work on the bed Pops.....(it's ok if you take a break)[/QUOTE]

Just as I thought it was right where I left it and still needs finishing.

I'm with you - hate the rattling chains. Nice solution.

With another roll pin sticking out of one side and a slot in the bracket you could 1/4 turn the latches to hold them open. Might be easier to close the gate one hand at a time.

That bed is really nice work.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.
The latches are made to do just that. That's one thing I liked about them.

I got part of the finish welding done this morning before I ran out of gas for
the mig welder. It's always something that stops progresss.

I also got one of the covers made for the latches. I think it looks a lot better.

Attachments

• IMG_5837.jpg
    IMG_5837.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5840.jpg
    IMG_5840.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 49
I missed the part where the latch stays open - nice. I was thinking a tube that just covered the spring. What you did is way better!

The part about something always stopping progress is SO true. Welding gas, hardware, stuff that doesn't fit, not enough stuff and, of course, new body parts. It takes a lot of dedication to get one done.

It was straining my brain trying to figure out the bed height in relation to the running boards and cab. I decided I wasn't smart enough to do that so I thought I had better just put it all together and bolt everything in its place.
Finally had to admit I couldn't get a nearly seventy year old truck completely square and called it good.

Now I feel like I need to get it to the driving state and go for a ride before taking it apart for paint. A little wiring, brakes and a drive shaft is all it would take.

Attachments

• IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Sounds like a plan!

It was straining my brain trying to figure out the bed height in relation to the running boards and cab. I decided I wasn't smart enough to do that so I thought I had better just put it all together and bolt everything in its place. Finally had to admit I couldn't get a nearly seventy year old truck completely square and called it good.

Now I feel like I need to get it to the driving state and go for a ride before taking it apart for paint. A little wiring, brakes and a drive shaft is all it would take.

Yeah, you may not want to paint it at all after you find out how FUN it is. ;)

Oh yeah, snazzy! You're gonna find it hard to stay out of it if you get it running before done, done, done...

Latest posts

Back