'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rustoleum / tractor paint sure is tempting.....

Amen Brother. Is that what you're going to do with yours?

I've been down the show quality paint job and the leave it rusty look job.
If it had patina paint all over, I'd leave it.
If it had exposed metal I'd paint it (the whole vehicle)
I just wouldn't do the great paint job, with all the maintenance that goes along with it.
my2cents-300x236.jpg

That's 2 cents worth of good thinking right there.

I like the sounds of your paint scheme. When mine gets paint, it'll be for some protection but shiny doesn't enter the equation...:D

I like the idea of semi gloss and never wax.

That's going to be a nice color combo POPS.
I need to make up my mind as my go to guy for paint keeps threatening to quit and if he goes, so does my special pricing.:eek:
He was telling me last week that he had to mix a gallon of Dark Blue paint for a fiberglass boat restoration and it was $500 for just the paint and the reducer.:eek::eek::eek:
And people wonder why some people like to use Rustoleum....:)
Torchie
ps. I might just take you up on the trade of a room for paint and body work.;)

I'm seriously considering hitting the whole thing with self etching green primer
and driving it for a year of so. That way I can get all the bugs and surprises
straightened out and then paint it. That will also give me a chance to gather up some money to do it.

Torchie, Let me know when you're coming and I'll have the maid change the sheets on your bed. We might not get much body and paint work done but I can guarantee we can find some mischief to get into. That would be a hoot,
two old farts living the dream.

Attachments

• IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Looking Good

my thoughts on paint tend to be cheaper is better. I have a gal. of black and green O.D. flat less than $40 ea. if i ever get around to painting the hole thing. Your bed is coming out great (is that also torchie's bed waiting for new sheets[S)

Pops, go www.paintforcars.com . They have "house" colors,{standard colors they keep in stock, not house as in a house you live in colors:rolleyes:} and are available in lacquer, enamel, and urethane. I have used their enamel on a couple of projects and it works pretty good. I would advise using their clear over it to make it last longer without as much effort to keep it looking good. I used the sunshine yellow enamel with the clear enamel over it on the Maverick I built, it still looked great 4 years later when I got rid of it, and it had sat out in the sun a lot.

my thoughts on paint tend to be cheaper is better. I have a gal. of black and green O.D. flat less than $40 ea. if i ever get around to painting the hole thing. Your bed is coming out great (is that also torchie's bed waiting for new sheets[S)

Thanks Soltz.
I thought I was getting close but the list just goes on....
No I'd let the guy sleep in the house.

Pops, go www.paintforcars.com . They have "house" colors,{standard colors they keep in stock, not house as in a house you live in colors:rolleyes:} and are available in lacquer, enamel, and urethane. I have used their enamel on a couple of projects and it works pretty good. I would advise using their clear over it to make it last longer without as much effort to keep it looking good. I used the sunshine yellow enamel with the clear enamel over it on the Maverick I built, it still looked great 4 years later when I got rid of it, and it had sat out in the sun a lot.

Thanks Bama, I'll check them out.

Amen Brother. Is that what you're going to do with yours?

I hate the idea of spending a bunch on materials and then doing a driveway quality paint job. I also hate the idea of spraying oil based paint and then having to strip down to bare metal to spray better paint.

I guess I will make a decision when I see how nice the next one turns out. If the metal turns out straight it will probably get "cheap" automotive paint.

I hate the idea of spending a bunch on materials and then doing a driveway quality paint job. I also hate the idea of spraying oil based paint and then having to strip down to bare metal to spray better paint.

I guess I will make a decision when I see how nice the next one turns out. If the metal turns out straight it will probably get "cheap" automotive paint.

Too many choices for sure. I know it's going to get paint I just don't know when.

I got my dual exhaust pipes run and all I had to buy was muffler, hangers and clamps. Don't ever throw anything away.

Got my fuel tank yesterday and got started on that phase. I'm leaving room for a battery and some storage on the right side. That's why the tank is not centered. I plan on covering it with aluminum tread plate.
I also need to find some thing to put between the hold down straps and the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 34
Pop's it's all coming together.....

whatever you decide on the finish you want....I'm sure will be darn nice....so make yourself happy....:D shiny, flat, satin, rust or whatever....you happy, we'll all get over it..:eek:..LOL...

I use neoprene for fuel tank straps and radiator supports. I get it at a local hardware store, but Graingers has it as well.

Have you been pricing paint? I got major sticker shock at the jobbers around here. I can get House of Kolor BC/CC (from Smart Shopper) for less than name brand low end paint. Still pricey though.

whatever you decide on the finish you want....I'm sure will be darn nice....so make yourself happy....:D shiny, flat, satin, rust or whatever....you happy, we'll all get over it..:eek:..LOL...

The problem I have is what makes me happy one day to the next is never the same. So I'm not rushing into anything.

Yep....I know what ya mean....

The problem I have is what makes me happy one day to the next is never the same. So I'm not rushing into anything.

guess that is why things are never finished...even when you first thought they were.... :D...(wait...did that make sense??)

I use neoprene for fuel tank straps and radiator supports. I get it at a local hardware store, but Graingers has it as well.

Have you been pricing paint? I got major sticker shock at the jobbers around here. I can get House of Kolor BC/CC (from Smart Shopper) for less than name brand low end paint. Still pricey though.

Do you buy the neoprene in a roll or sheet or what? That's what I need. Thanks.

The price of paint is ridiculous. The best I've found is at NAPA. He quoted a base/clearcoat for 1.5 gallons with hardener for $260. That's what I'll use when I get to that point. I thought I'd be there by now but the knee screwed up my plans.

A local industrial hardware store carries rolls that are 36" or 48" wide (can't remember which) in 1/8" and 1/4" thick. They sell it by the running foot. It's pretty cheap.

I have been talking the Sherwin Williams which is supposed to be the same as NAPA's brand. They're quoting me $650+ for a gallon of their lowest end (Dimension) bc/cc, reducer and activator. Sounds like NAPA has a different pricing system.

I believe i'll go with Rustoleum:) You shouldn't have to take out a second mortgage to paint a vehicle. However your truck is so nice I'd go with a quality paint;)

Everything looks great!!..

I say just drive it.. You can paint it later!

I believe i'll go with Rustoleum:) You shouldn't have to take out a second mortgage to paint a vehicle. However your truck is so nice I'd go with a quality paint;)

I just remembered why I used tractor paint for the jeep
I think the whole thing cost fifty bucks.

Latest posts

Back