'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah buddy!!!

Today was a good day. My grandson and I got the drive shaft installed and the front windshield in the frame and installed.

He was all pumped when he got to pull it out of the shop under its own power.

Life is good when you're rolling down the road!

... and you get to share it with the new generation! Way cool truck Pops. [cl

Nice going. I have never had a first test drive make it around the block, much less 40 miles. Everything looks just right it must be working just right as well.[cl

You probably know the trick of using a baseball bat or pipe to lever against the tire and roll the fender lip out. Might give you enough clearance. The stance is great as it is.

Wow, I'll never complain about Holley fuel pumps being loud again.

Your grandson will remember that the rest of his life. Good move letting him drive it first.

Nice going. I have never had a first test drive make it around the block, much less 40 miles. Everything looks just right it must be working just right as well.[cl

You probably know the trick of using a baseball bat or pipe to lever against the tire and roll the fender lip out. Might give you enough clearance. The stance is great as it is.

There's essentially very little lip on the fenders on these old trucks, I don't think that will solve the problem.

Hang an outboard motor on the tailgate to camouflage the fuel pump noise....

Congratulations on the un-dramatic first drive.

There's essentially very little lip on the fenders on these old trucks, I don't think that will solve the problem.

This technique actually re-forms the whole fender, it's not to bend the lip. I moved the edge of the 3100 out about 1" (which still didn't give me enough room). But, the Chevy fenders were a lot flatter. These probably won't move as much. I had to loosen the brackets that hold the fenders then make extensions for them.

Sounds like the bed is acting as a amplifier for the fuel pump. May need to mount it on the frame or a crossmember on some kind of rubber mount to kill the noise. My Mr Gasket pump, you can just barely hear it when you turn the key on, then the exhaust covers it when it's running.

Congrats Pops! [cl Good to see it moving under it's own power for the first time. Now you get to sort out all the little bugs a new build brings. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the interest in my project. It's nice when a plan comes together.

I had so much fun yesterday that I broke down and added it to the insurance, got the title transfer done, put gas in it and drove it 150 miles. I'm almost afraid to talk about it for fear of jinxing my luck but... it performed flawlessly
other than an occasional tire rub and that loud fuel pump.

The pump is mounted on the frame rail and I used 1/2'' neoprene trying to isolate it. I'm usually happy with what I buy from Jegs but this thing sucks.
Some one tell me what pump is the most quiet.

I also bought new front coil springs this afternoon. I should have put new ones in when I rebuilt the front end but I didn't. I think that will cure my
tire rub. If not, I can go with a narrower wheel and tire on the front. We'll see.

Caleb and I will probably get in trouble for being gone all the time for a while.
There's a road with no traffic south of us that ends at a ranch in the foot hills
where I let him drive. He loves it.

Mechanical [ddd
I've had real good luck with the blue Holley pumps mounted on rubber.
Also you need to put the pressure regulator that comes with it on.
Run a return line from the carb to the tank if you don't already have one installed.

Latest posts

Back