'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using one of the Mr Gasket 12s pumps, same thing as the Purolater pump. It's a small cube pump, very little noise, don't even have to use a regulator with it. Mine is mounted on a 1/8" thick aluminum bracket that is mounted to a cross member solidly, no rubber on it anywhere, but your results might vary...

Caleb and I will probably get in trouble for being gone all the time for a while.
There's a road with no traffic south of us that ends at a ranch in the foot hills
where I let him drive. He loves it.
The joys of growing up in the wild west. I was behind the wheel at 10 for the couple miles to the real road.

You're a good grand I-R-POPS.

Let me add my congratulations to the pile POPS.
[cl [cl [cl
Torchie

Thanks Torchie. It's going to be fun.

Cool video! Lucky grandson gets first drive? Outstanding! :)

Thanks. We have some good times together.

The joys of growing up in the wild west. I was behind the wheel at 10 for the couple miles to the real road.

You're a good grand I-R-POPS.

I try not to play favorites with my grandkids but he has got the hot rod / rat rod bug and like wrenching so he spends a lot of time here. It's a real thrill for me to be able to teach him what he wants to learn. As long as he stays interested I'll enjoy the time with him. The other kids just want to ride once in a while and I'm good with that too. I got gas in the tank and nothing but time to burn.

It had that ZZ TOP feel to it, [cl [P :cool:
Although I didn't think you were coming back :eek:

ZZ is one of my favorites. I couldn't just leave the kid beside the road.
The turn around spots are a long ways apart.

Mechanical [ddd
I've had real good luck with the blue Holley pumps mounted on rubber.
Also you need to put the pressure regulator that comes with it on.
Run a return line from the carb to the tank if you don't already have one installed.

Mechanical obsession is just one of my problems. Thanks for the reply on the fuel pump. I'll look into that.

I'm using one of the Mr Gasket 12s pumps, same thing as the Purolater pump. It's a small cube pump, very little noise, don't even have to use a regulator with it. Mine is mounted on a 1/8" thick aluminum bracket that is mounted to a cross member solidly, no rubber on it anywhere, but your results might vary...

I tried one of those 12S pumps on my TJ jeep but it only ran a little over a year and left me stranded in the woods. Probably just my luck, which tends
to run in the "that sucks" category. How long has yours been in use?
Thanks for the reply.

[cl [cl [clI watched the road vid
Man, that ole truck is the coolest :cool:

Thanks Old Iron. We may try the video thing again with my good camera after I get the rub
and the fuel pump taken care on next week. I'm really looking forward to some seat time this summer.

Pops, there was a run of those pumps a few years back that didn't last very long, some a few days, some a few weeks, some a year or two. I had this one on my lawnmower for three or four years before I put it on the car. The one I had on the Maverick had been on it about 4 years when I got rid of the car and was still going strong. Not saying you'll get the life I've got out of these, but I've been happy with them. I had a Holley blue pump that lasted just over a year and was almost as loud as your Jegs pump. As with anything electric, you never know until it goes bad how long it's gonna last.:eek:

I was hoping someone would have a little more info on fuel pumps so I could learn something new. But here's the knowledge I have accumulated. Accuracy not guaranteed.

Most of the less expensive fuel pumps are vane or turbine pumps. They are loudest at idle. Like any vane pump, they strain against higher pressures caused by lower demand and get loud. A regulator with a return quiets this condition because the pump is never restricted at lower fuel demands.

Some pumps are gear pumps. These are inherently quieter and often (or maybe always) have their own internal pressure relief system. These are more expensive pumps.

I put an Edelbrock Quiet-Flo on the '53. Mounted on the rubber isolators that came with it. Have never heard it when driving even at idle. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1791?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-OCqBRDXmIWvveLE3_cBEiQAZWfImTLIl2iZwXAo9zIdUY0UlNpcNsS_u7Kts9YuzkCFjOwaAgWX8P8HAQ

Neighbor had a Holley - very loud. He swapped it for a Mallory (which I think is a gear pump). I have ridden in his '40 many times and have never heard it.

On the F2stang I had a Holley; it screamed. I changed the mount from the frame to a transmission mount - didn't make any difference. Solution? Bought ear plugs - it was really loud anyway.

[QUOTE=DJ3100

I put an Edelbrock Quiet-Flo on the '53. Mounted on the rubber isolators that came with it. Have never heard it when driving even at idle.

That's the way I was leaning but hadn't heard any bodys real time experience.
Thanks for the input. I just ordered one.

I had just slid the front glass in the frame and threw it in so we could go for the first ride. I got it sealed up in the frame. painted/clear coated and ready for the outer seal when it gets here Monday. Also installed the rear window and license plate.

New front springs will go on tomorrow and Edelbrock Quiet-Flow fuel pump when it gets here.

Then drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 33
Glass prep looks good! That's the topping on the cake tho...that tag! Congrats Pops! Do they not have different tags for vintage stuff in New Mexico or does everything share the same kind out there? We get antique tags for anything over 30 years here and they break the price too quite a bit.

Glass prep looks good! That's the topping on the cake tho...that tag! Congrats Pops! Do they not have different tags for vintage stuff in New Mexico or does everything share the same kind out there? We get antique tags for anything over 30 years here and they break the price too quite a bit.

Thanks Smallfoot.
Yes they do have vintage plates here also. They call them "Horseless Carriage"
But they make you do the title transfer and pay for a regular plate then send your new title, $17.50 and an application form to Santa Fe to get the Vintage plate. It's a 5 year registration for $9.00. Just another way of milking more money out of you. I got it sent in yesterday, we'll see how long it takes to get it back. I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Attachments

• nm-g[1].jpg
    nm-g[1].jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 6
Good job my friend. Now, when would like to come over and help finish mine out. It really aint THAT far. Just kidding. great to see her on the go. [cl

Kool! Man, I hope you enjoy the ride in yours like I do mine....all I can say is YEEHAW!![cl

YEEHAW! is putting it lightly. There's just something about driving something around that you've spent so much planning, time and money on. Especially when the nay sayers have to eat some crow. It was definitely worth it.

I got the front springs replaced today. As usual a 2 or 3 hour job took me
all day and I'm whipped.

It raised the front end 1 1/2". I'm hoping it will settle in a little but it gave me the tire clearance I needed . I love it when a plan comes together, even if I did have to R&R the springs twice to get it right.

So much for overnight shipping on the fuel pump, it won't be here till Wednesday. Patience my _ss I got driving to do!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back