'47 Dodge shop truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some work done on my 408. Yes I'm slow.
Been working on my heads, should get them ready to go on this week. I'm doing doing a gasket match, clean up and polish on the ports.

Got a funeral to go to in Farmington NM tomorrow and a grandson's football game Thursday in Sunray Tx. So I'm only going to get to work on this 2 days this week. Good thing I don't have a dead line to meet or miss in my case.

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 25
That's some great lookin parts [cl [dr [P :cool:

Getting them stacked together slowly but surely.

Yeah getting older isn't for wimps....lol...nice job on the motor...should be a runner.....:D

Thanks Sarge. Don't know why I thought I had to spend all this money. But that's another benefit of retirement. You can do what ever you want to.

How's the rehab going? Hope you're healing up well.

Progress.....

I got the heads smoothed up a little, valve stem seals installed and springs installed. Painted and installed the right side head and roller rockers.

My damper, front crank pulley and distributor showed up Saturday while we were gone so I can finish this puppy up this week. Getting close.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 17
Progress.....

Finished getting this thing all put together today. Except for the fact that I didn't order a dip stick with the new pan. That would be a handy thing to have when I go to pour oil in it. DUH!

I'm thinking about putting it on a dyno and breaking it in and tuning it to get it dialed in. The last engine I had dyno'd was about 15 years ago. I have no idea what it costs now days. Don't know if I can afford that.

I may just throw a transmission and torque converter I have on it and run it on a stand.

I'll have to pull the cab and front end to shoe horn it in place. I'm going to have a problem with the header on the left side and the steering shaft wanting to occupy the same space.

It should be even more fun to drive this little truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 31
When I think about pulling the cab, I cringe when I think about the wiring. I forgot where you put the fuse panel. Did you think far enough ahead to have connectors so you can unplug it?

I don't remember seeing where those headers came from. The left one has that interesting rear tube on the rear, probably to clear something. I still don't know anything about Mopar engines. Do the cast manifolds that are in the truck fit this engine?

When I think about pulling the cab, I cringe when I think about the wiring. I forgot where you put the fuse panel. Did you think far enough ahead to have connectors so you can unplug it?

I don't remember seeing where those headers came from. The left one has that interesting rear tube on the rear, probably to clear something. I still don't know anything about Mopar engines. Do the cast manifolds that are in the truck fit this engine?

I installed the wiring harness using junction blocks so I can unhook wiring pretty easily. In my mind I think I can have the cab off in a couple of hours. Time will tell.

The headers are made to go into the same space as a set of cast manifolds on a '98 to 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 pickup. I hope I can figure out something to clear my steering shaft on the left side. If not my plan B is to use the cast manifolds I'm running on the '47 now. The engine is the same block as what I have in it, just different innerds.

I installed the wiring harness using junction blocks so I can unhook wiring pretty easily. In my mind I think I can have the cab off in a couple of hours. Time will tell.

The headers are made to go into the same space as a set of cast manifolds on a '98 to 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 pickup. I hope I can figure out something to clear my steering shaft on the left side. If not my plan B is to use the cast manifolds I'm running on the '47 now. The engine is the same block as what I have in it, just different innerds.

Good planning on the wiring. I always think about that, but don't end up doing it.

Since you're always looking for new project you could always build your own headers. I have built 3 sets and I think it's kind of fun. I thought the cast manifolds on this truck looked cool; they'd probably flow about the same as the headers that are on the engine without the heat related problems.

Headers are cool lookin. If it's not all out performance I need or the engine is not exposed then, I don't hesitate to use cast manifolds.

Thanks guys. After about an hour of measuring and head scratching
Cast manifolds are going to be reused. I don't thing 8-10 hp is worth the headaches. It's just too tight when you figure in the starter, steering shaft and
narrow front end.

We woke up in Poncha Springs,Colorado this morning headed to Estes Park.
I don't know why I don't live in Colorado.

I went to the u-pull it yard and got a alternator and a power steering pump for $35.00 so I can start and run this engine before installing it. Now I've got a fully dressed engine!

Then I decided I'd build an engine run stand/dolly. Here's the first trial fit.
I'm going to make it so when it's not being used for an engine I can stick a steel table top on it for another place to pile crap on.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg