'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angles seem to match well. Of course this will make the curves of my trunk all messed up, but I figure it'll be easier to work on the trunk lid than the body.

Tomorrow I weld!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0342a.jpg
    IMGP0342a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMGP0343a.jpg
    IMGP0343a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 253
Wow wow wow Sam, this thing just keeps getting better and better. There are so many subtle mods involved with this chop that no one but us folks here will ever know about......Dick Dean is definitely smiling down and Bill Hines should be bowing down to you before it's over:D
You really should consider changing your name to "Sam_ No Fear"....I would:cool:

WoW Sam (no) fear ! you are doing an amazing job....i hate welding sheet metal b/c i always get i na hurry and wind up w/warpage ....my hats off to you for patience and "tenacity" ......looking good[cl[cl

and gastrick that pic is one cool car-it does remind me of sams to some degree.....:cool::cool:

Cool pic Gas! Wonder what the front looks like? Those are Caddy front fenders so I wonder if that's what it started life as. Rear fenders look more like early 50's. Flares on all and bubble skirts! WAY above my level!

Time to go [;). Hopefully I have a few progress pics later.

Thanks for the boost fellas!

Got a little bit done, then I decided I was tired of being cold for the day. Got one of the door posts moved and tacked in. I cut it right below the drip edge.

attachment.php

And the rear section welded up - except for right at the trunk lip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0350A.jpg
    IMGP0350A.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMGP0352A.jpg
    IMGP0352A.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 200
Forgot to mention how I did the center posts. Aligning them with the uncut door so the edge was straight, tack, then made a cut at the belt line and folded the whole thing inward.

Seems most people move the B-pillar by cutting above the drip edge, but I made the cuts below the drip edge. Maybe a little more work breaking it apart and welding on the inside, but I didn't didn't want to mess with the roof and drip edge.

Next will be the doors...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0354a.jpg
    IMGP0354a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 210
I can't believe how well this is working out, to be honest I thought you were messing up a nice car but you have made a really cool car into a one of a kind cool car!

Thanks TI, I appreciate a compliment from a real car builder. I'm just a hack, but I'm getting better. But keep in mind, it's still a 4door.

Got going on the doors. Also did the drip rails.

Decided to do the rear door first. Started by making cuts on the backside at the belt line and leaning the window frame in.
attachment.php

Then cuts to lean the rear part forward to match the curve of the door frame.
attachment.php

Attach the split top pieces aligned to the lower sections...
attachment.php

Align the two sections to each other...
attachment.php

Add a splice, and done!
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0436a.jpg
    IMGP0436a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMGP0442b.jpg
    IMGP0442b.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMGP0444b.jpg
    IMGP0444b.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMGP0445b.jpg
    IMGP0445b.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMGP0450b.jpg
    IMGP0450b.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 179
Next the front. basically did it the same way. Hope to finish it up tomorrow and move on to the other side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I decided not to weld up the doors and climb through the windows.

Attachments

• IMGP0455b.jpg
    IMGP0455b.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMGP0454b.jpg
    IMGP0454b.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMGP0457b.jpg
    IMGP0457b.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 181
it may be a 4 door, but that thing is gonna be long and low..it's gonna be the coolest more door on anybodies block..awesome work and vision

Latest posts

Back