'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks super Sam. Very nice. Are you going to have any issues to deal with ref windows rolling up with the frames leaned in?

We'll see how bad it is when I get there, but I hope I can get away with putting spacers on the bottom of the window tracks, etc. to bring them out far enough and make 'em work. If that doesn't work, I'll cut and re-weld the inner door panels to match if need be - or whatever it takes.

Kinda concerned with the vent windows (which I intend to keep) since they are crank operated also. I think I can cheat those OK too.

I don`t understand why you guys have been ragging on the four door thing. I usually love them, kind of grown on me since I got my car. And NO ONE can say anything about this car not looking downright mean(not taking offence, just curious).

-Johnson

Not on Sam`s car. Just the whole "it looks great for a four door", which I saw quite a few times as I was going through the thread.

I don`t understand why you guys have been ragging on the four door thing. I usually love them, kind of grown on me since I got my car. And NO ONE can say anything about this car not looking downright mean(not taking offence, just curious).

-Johnson

1st - Thanks for the 'looks mean' comment :).

2nd - ... but it is just a four door. 4 Doors are cool, but 2 doors are cooler. That's how it is.

3rd - Thanks for even checking out my build.

1st - Thanks for the 'looks mean' comment :).

2nd - ... but it is just a four door. 4 Doors are cool, but 2 doors are cooler. That's how it is.

3rd - Thanks for even checking out my build.

Fine.... I guess you`re right. I am just weird and like the proportions better. Oh well, more four doors for me to play with ;)

And as far as checking out your build - watching guys like you work though the problems is as close to working on my build as I can get while I`m waiting for hours at college between classes. I should be thanking you. Plus I might just learn something :p

-Johnson

Hopefully I'll have some photo-worthy updates soon. I'm finishing up the doors right now.I made a quick list of what I need to do to get it on the road - ALOT! I kinda wanna drive it to the TorqueFest....

Got the doors done - for now.

I removed all the temporary bracing and finally have room to move inside again. And I took a bunch of that 1x1 tubing and made a quick welder cart - real quick.

attachment.php

Also ran the cut off wheel up my finger.... oops.

attachment.php

On to more important matters, I made a template for the windshield and used it to check the openings for flatness. The Top middle stuck out too far and after messing with it for a long while I finally climbed up on the roof and sat on it - it did the trick.

attachment.php

And I started on the trunk.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0475a.jpg
    IMGP0475a.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMGP0476a.jpg
    IMGP0476a.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMGP0480a.jpg
    IMGP0480a.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMGP0483a.jpg
    IMGP0483a.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 242
Not being all that familiar with the early Olds I didn't realize they had the six piece trunk lids[S:confused::D

Nice job on the finger:rolleyes:

As always, I'm loving this build[cl[cl
Keep up the good work and lay off the "finger customizing"
[P[P[P

Every spring Ioweigans drain their winter blood and switch to summer blood.

(terrific work on the car, BTW, Sam)

Just so y'all know, it was just a scratch, but was one of those 'Wow, that coulda REALLY sucked!' kinda moments. Get careless for a second...

This trunk thing is gonna be a real trick! I think I've got a plan worked out now. I took a 3" strip horizontally out of the trunk. Then I had to make another sideways cut on the transition between the trunk and fenders and bend them in even farther.

I think I matched the curve of the rest of the car well enough.
attachment.php

The worst part are the sides. Finally figured out I need to add relief cuts and then hammer the sections flatter along the outside edge. Basically I'm pancaking the trunk on the sides.

attachment.php

Still moving forward at least....

Attachments

• IMGP0497a.jpg
    IMGP0497a.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMGP0502a.jpg
    IMGP0502a.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 218
Personally I prefer a nice burn over abrasize wheel cuts - but to each his own, I guess.

The Olds is still looking awesom (the finger - not so much).

Latest posts

Back