'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think curved glass would be tricky to support and keep flat at the blade, but I might try it just for fun if I happen upon some curved glass.

I forgot to mention the name of the saw. It's a Taurus II ring saw from Gemini. They run $100+ used and yes the blade is a diamond clad wire hoop. I was afraid I might ruin the blade - they are $30-$90 each.

I want to see some of your wife's stained glass for quarter windows! :cool:

I thought about that - especially when I was kicking around the panel idea. She hasn't messed with the glass for awhile. I think I need to kick start her into it again - it's something she enjoyed.

Well, I cut my other windshield and it took me about 20 minutes, but half that time was because I took a couple inches off using a glass cutter so it would fit on the saw.

I also order a body lead kit from Eastwood.

And I cut and welded the windshield trim. I had never tried welding stainless. So I bought wire, grab a few junk pieces of trim, and practiced a little. The first piece I tried was a mess, spitting, brittle, and well, just a mess.... 30 seconds into it, I realized that piece was aluminum - DOH! Got a piece of stainless next and it went a lot smoother. :eek: Still not the easiest, but it went OK.

I also read where electrical solder can be used like a filler on it - gonna give that a shot eventually.

attachment.php

I now need to cut down the center post trim. That won't require welding, only hammering.

Attachments

• IMGP0553a.jpg
    IMGP0553a.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 247
Awesome work! You body/sheet metal work looks flawless. What you did on the back section of the car is amazing. I could never do anything like that in a million years.

Sam, when I have used body solder, everything in the shop turned to heavy rust overnight. The vapors from the acid in the flux went everywhere. I had never seen anything about that problem and I thought you might be interested. I think just throwing a tarp over everything would solve the problem. Or maybe Eastwood's flux is milder than the old school stuff I got from the Auto body supply.

The Olds is looking very impressive.

Winter is for working on the vehicle, summer is for driving it! Hopefully I'll have some coo; update pics soon....

Lead is Freakin' Awesome!!!!

Sam, when I have used body solder, everything in the shop turned to heavy rust overnight. The vapors from the acid in the flux went everywhere. I had never seen anything about that problem and I thought you might be interested.

Well, hopefully having the doors open will help. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Well, no rust problem. I had the doors open and used a base to neutralize any acid residue. I leaded up both the A-posts. That's about it fer now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0565a.jpg
    IMGP0565a.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 236
...........................................bhaaaahaaa.....haha i would read it......and the cover would defanitly get my attention

Hey Sam, I feel like an idiot! You've been nice enough to comment on my build and I haven't checked on yours since about page three. In my defense, I am not on the computer much. Great job on your car! It takes some big coconuts to jump into a chop like that but you nailed it. I'll definitely be watching your build from now on. Great job man!

Hey Sam, I feel like an idiot! You've been nice enough to comment on my build and I haven't checked on yours since about page three. In my defense, I am not on the computer much. Great job on your car! It takes some big coconuts to jump into a chop like that but you nailed it. I'll definitely be watching your build from now on. Great job man!

Don't sweat it. If you keep up on all the builds you end up a post ho like me. ;) ...and thanks.

Well, I tried the silver solder on the stainless trim - didn't like it. It was hard to stick and didn't look that great polished up. So I decided to try to ruin it with the welder and grinder some more. And I primed the leaded A-pillars. Here's a after and before pic. You can see the ripples in the trim and the posts aren't perfect - good enough for rat work!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0567aa.jpg
    IMGP0567aa.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 215
Your doing a great job You should try a 2dr next time a lot less work, 2 less opening's to do.
This goes to show people that chopping a top is a lot of work more so on a car and a 4dr well you must like welding and getting the lines right is a battle. and the hardest part in not rushing the welding and warping the panels[;)

Kept the photos coming I love seeing others work step by step[cl[cl[cl[cl

Latest posts

Back