'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam I don't know if you realize it but you have a natural ability in metal working, some people never get it and some it takes decades. Knowing what it takes to make the metal move and lay the way you want it is a rare skill.

BTW, the rear slope is perfect.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Kinda wish I coulda done this stuff 20 years ago.

This trunk area has been the trickiest of all so far. So many compound curves. But I think I got it nailed together. Just need to do the corners now and then weld it all up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0504a.jpg
    IMGP0504a.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Got the back end done - the trunk and the tail light section. I'm going to round the lower trunk corners sometime, but I'm not too worried about it now since the bottom 4" of will be gone next winter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0517a.jpg
    IMGP0517a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMGP0518a.jpg
    IMGP0518a.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMGP0520a.jpg
    IMGP0520a.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Boy, that's a real nice quilt you've sewn together there !!
Seriously, it's shaping up nicely - I guess you'll have to a similar job with the inside panel of the trunk lid ? I see much quality time with the welder and grinder in your future.........[;)

He is planning on finishing up the chop. Then next winter, doing a 4" section(which I believe is taking 4" out of the body between the bottom and the glass). Don`t hold me to that though......

-Johnson

I didn't know I had any technique. [S:D

He is planning on finishing up the chop. Then next winter, doing a 4" section(which I believe is taking 4" out of the body between the bottom and the glass). Don`t hold me to that though......

-Johnson

That's right.

And of course, thanks for taking a look! I probably won't have much to update for awhile. A lot of loose ends to tie up.

Wow Sam! just checked out your build for the first time. I will have to look at it a couple more times to let it all soak in. Wow, nice work.

Thanks BRC.

nice work on the trunk. i want to be that good one day i guess ill just keep practing

I've been doing metal work all of 3 years and it is all documented in my two builds on RRR. My welding isn't that good, but I've become really good at grinding. :)

I regulated my airbags so they don't want to hop. After discussing it with one of our mechanics I decided to try inserting a washer under the sleeve in the hose fittings. After I welded up the holes and drilled 3/32 holes through that, it narrowed them up enough so it raises and lowers at a comfortable rate.

BUT, the big news is I cut my windshield using my wife's ring saw. It's like a 360 degree directional scroll saw for stained glass. Took about 20-30 minutes to cut one side, but I can probably do the other side in 10-15 minutes no that I know what I'm doing. It does have a 4" crack since I cut real close to a rock chip that had cracks forming already. I wonder if you could get it to work on curved glass....

attachment.php

Ring saw with the cover off. It only has a 5-1/2" throat though.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0544a.jpg
    IMGP0544a.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMGP0548a.jpg
    IMGP0548a.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 196

Latest posts

Back