'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your doing a great job You should try a 2dr next time a lot less work...

This is one of the reasons why I think this is such an awesome project. Anyone can chop a 2-door Model T or A (except maybe me). Don't see many 40s 4-doors!

Really looking forward to that first shot of it rolled outside! [P[P

I don't think the extra 2 doors added much more work compared to the slope back. 2 Or 4 door, it seems that is where the difficulties lie.

I have just never liked dealing with the monotony of window opening you have to do each one twice once on the body and once for the garnish molding and some times a third the outer window trim.

I guess its all in what you feel comfortable with. The main skin has always been easier for me I kinda like the challenge of the slopes, had a friend (no longer with use) that loved the windows and doors, I loved the main roofs worked out good made the choppes go fast. Now looking at doing one by my self 49 Fleetline just wont seam the same.

I did learn early on to cut the glass first and form the window opening to the glass on curved windows, Stainless trim can be welded and filled with silver solid and chromed for the shiny look, or welded and filled with led and painted lot cheaper and quicker

Still a great looking job[cl

I wasn't having much luck with the silver solder so just went ahead and filled the stainless with the MIG. I coulda got it perfect that way, but I want to drive this car someday soon, not brag about it ten years from now. :p

silver solder require a good flux to make it stick
I have brazed them with brass, MiG and tiged them. either process works if it use on a rat rod ,

The last on I did I brazed it filled it with rosin core soldier and painted it semi gloss blacked looked pretty good car was a root beer color.

With it getting so expensive to chrome any more I see me doing this more and more. I see Monochrome cars coming back in fad also. The spray on chrome looks good but it is not that cheep eather

sam_fear If you would send me the links on the choppes you found I am always open to new ideals and ways of chopping cars and trucks.

[email protected]

Well, well, well... time for a real update.

I took several days trying to get the windshield in. Stainless with rubber seal around opening and thick the thick glass gasket held in with the inside garnish. All of it had to be cut down and fit. PITA! Then I found I needed to have the dash in place before the garnish. So that meant working the dash too.

I also fabbed up a quick gas pedal - quick and not pretty so no pics. Also did a bunch of little things along the way.

I had to make a new center bar from one side of 1/8" square stock. This is the stainless center bar I also had to shorten. I'm think I'm getting better at stainless.

attachment.php

The whole thing in place. Eventually I'll have new glass made, but for now I want to make sure it rides with out stress cracking somehow.

attachment.php

And the dash and garnish. Massey Furguson grey and satin flat black from the local tractor supply. (And a little bit of Rat Rod Red.)
Notice the rare distributor in the glovebox option.

attachment.php

Got it fired up and drove it onto the street so I could clean up my garage some... so that means outdoor pics. YAY!

These are at about 'cruise' height...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0574a.jpg
    IMGP0574a.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMGP0579a.jpg
    IMGP0579a.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMGP0583a.jpg
    IMGP0583a.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMGP0606a.jpg
    IMGP0606a.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMGP0605a.jpg
    IMGP0605a.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 230
And one more of a bum standing next to it aired out for height comparison.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0620A.jpg
    IMGP0620A.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 395
Man that looks Awesome... Really nice work

I really like the pic with your truck in the background...

Outstanding!!! I love this car!!!

...fix the headlight.

:D Lights and wiring are next. I tried to flag down a scrapper with a smashed cab on his trailer the other day - The junk yards just don't have anything old enough to have round lights. I may have to buy new! :(

No offense, but i'm blown away! From the beginning it looked interesting and nearly impossible to do part time, in a garage. Now it looks way better than I ever imagined. And it didn't take 10 years. I can't believe you got the glass to fit (I never could get the glass in the '53 Chevy -had to get a pro and the pro broke the F-2 windshield on the first try).

Truely AMAZING.

Why do you call yourself "Fear?" i'm not seeing any of that here!:cool:

You've got a bit of that Hetfield look going there, sorta.;)

Funny, I thought this thing wouldn't look "right" with the roof cut. Turns out it looks bang on.

Keep up the good work, Sam.[;)[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back