'50 GMC Daily Driver

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008_1007Misc0004.jpg

This should be the stance after I get the wider rear end and 4" lowering blocks installed. I'm fighting the desire to take 4" out of the top.

2008_10130009.jpg

I went to the last swap meet of the year Sunday and picked up these bucket seats (power driver's seat), new S-10 rear shocks, steering intermediate shaft, power brake assembly, gas pedal and cable and power steering pump with correct brackets for a short water pump (not shown) all for $63. Am I a big spender, or what?

2008_10130010.jpg

Welded taps on the spring plates (which I had made last week) for the bottom shock mount. See the plate sitting on the box crossmember. Made a crossmember for the top shock mount out of 1" X 3" X.125 box tubing with 1/4" tabs sculpted to fit. There is a gusset under each tab. The shocks sit at the same angle as in a S10.

Darn you, Todd! I had completely forgotton about your offer. I've got spare doors for door tops too. I 'spose I should pick it up "just in case".

I went to the last swap meet of the year Sunday and picked up these bucket seats (power driver's seat), new S-10 rear shocks, steering intermediate shaft, power brake assembly, gas pedal and cable and power steering pump with correct brackets for a short water pump (not shown) all for $63. Am I a big spender, or what?

Good score Bob. Don't you just love swap meets!

Wow! I can't believe I just stumbled across this thread for the first time.

That's some really quick progress. You also know it's good when just reading about what's being done is getting me fired up to get out there into my garage and working on my projects.

Also living in MN I can tell you that once the leaves started to change a few weeks ago I was already practically calling it "winter".:D
Unlike you- once winter does really get here I'll put be putting the F100 into storage and the '39 will be sitting in a garage that is too crowded and too cold to visit after freezing my butt off working on customer cars all day at the shop. I'll mostly be hibernating building all my next modifications only in my head until around March (hopefully) when the snow starts to recede.

Looks like you were the one buying everything up at the Roadsters (I presume) swap this weekend. I got there at 6:05 am with my flashlight and when I arrived there were already guys coming out carrying things!

I'm anxiously looking forward to more of your updates.
Keep up the good work!

Jay

A couple friends and I meet for breakfast as Denny's at 8:00 before going to swap meets. So we are late arrivals. Another couple friends are avid sellers, so I give them a few items to take along. They are in line at 4:30AM. The kind of stuff I need doesn't sell fast. Since I'd rather be building a car than driving, or showing it, winter doesn't bother me too much. My house and garage have 1 foot thick styrofoam walls so I stay pretty comfortable.
Yep, working on customer cars all day like you do no doubt takes away some enthusiasm to work on you own at night. I hope to see your rides and meet you next summer.

2008_10230002.jpg

I've been working on the truck every day but not much worth showing. The seats, shifter, brake pedal/master cyl/booster, gas pedal/throttle cable are installed. A while back I set the front tin in place but it wouldn't line up very well. A couple of my Wed. lunch buddies came over and suggested I put the doors on the cab to see if the cab was jacked out of shape by the guy who installed the floor and patch panels. One of the attractions of buying this cab was that the rust repair was already done. The right door went on good. The left door came up about 3/4" shy of reaching the rear door post. Since the door had probably not shrunk, it meant that the opening was too big. I cut the cowl tin off, cut the hinge post free of the rocker and the inner kick panel and moved it back. Now the door fits the opening but the patient needs a lot of rewelding and a new, full replacement left cowl panel.:(

Well, that looks like fun :D. Better to find out now though and at least you have the skills to make the repair. Nice work as usual from you Bob W.

I'm with Gastrick at least you figured it out now. As I start painting I am in constant fear of finding something I missed. Looks like you're getting good progress, I'm keeping an eye on this as my next project is a '51 chev.

Keep the pic's coming.
Sean

Since 50Ford asked, here's an update. No pics though.:(
I finallly finished the cowl patch panel installation. Lots of fooling around to get it on right. I hope it's right. The fenders fit the cowl nicely. However, the front of the hood does not set right between the fenders in front. Tomorrow I'll move the core support a bit and hope that will solve the misalignment problem.:confused:
Picked up a roller cam, 1988 305 Chevy engine for $100. It will need to be bored. The heads look great; just a standard valve grind should do it.
Tonight I got a '68 Camaro gas tank for $30, from Craigslist. My truck building guru in Illinois uses these tanks in all his AD truck builds.
My neighbor picked up a '40 Ford Coupe and I have been helping him with it. It was built in the late 70's and has an outdated suspension setup and some structural rust in the body, floor and subframe. I spent 3 hours cutting the Pacer front end out if it. I'll need to rebuild the frame from the firewall forward before installing the Heidts Mustang II front end I advised him to get. I might even get paid for working on it.:D

Latest posts

Back