51 F1 Rat Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finished product.

Attachments

• scan0073.jpg
    scan0073.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 93
  • scan0074.jpg
    scan0074.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
  • scan0075.jpg
    scan0075.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 28
Shortly after this a friend of mine calls me up one day and says " Hey how would you like a really good deal on a 66 big block Chevelle". I should have hung up on him. :D Anyway, long story short Dad and I bought the car thinking we could finish it up and make a few bucks on the side. Hmmm, $35000 later this is what we got. It has an LS6 454 punch 30 over M21 4 speed, 12 bolt posi 3.73 gears. Man it goes like a stund hormone.:cool:

Attachments

• DSCF0149.jpg
    DSCF0149.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0150.jpg
    DSCF0150.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010738.JPG
    P1010738.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 47
So now you may be asking what's up with the truck. Well all things are even now, back is healed, Ex dealt with, and now it's back on the truck. It is now sitting in my dad's shop ready and waiting. I am starting back at it this spring and it will see the road again by next summer. I will be giving you guys regular updates as we progress, but for now here are a few more pics of how it stands right now. These where taken the day the truck came out of storage and back into the light on it's way to dad's shop.

Attachments

• DSCF0089.jpg
    DSCF0089.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0090.jpg
    DSCF0090.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0091.jpg
    DSCF0091.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0092.jpg
    DSCF0092.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 117
Game On !

Well it's been a long time since I've done anything new on the truck. That all changes today. I am officially back on my project full steam ahead. I was originally going to finish this truck up at my dad's and had planned on getting at it this past spring, but as you can see that didn't happen. I now have the truck at my buddies shop where I did most of the work on my Chevelle.

I have been collecting parts along the way though. Where I work we have a bunch of old parts cars that have collected over the years. From them I have pilferred quite a bit of stuff. Starting with a set of power windows from the back doors of a early 80's 190 Benz. These units are very compact and easy to use on a conversion like this. I've also snagged a set of door latches and strikers from a 69 Buick LeSabre. The wiring harness that I'm using came from an early 80's Chev pickup also from our back lot, as well as the hood latch and some of the rad support.

Two weekends ago my dad and I attended the Barrie Flea Market. Barrie is North of Toronto, and they have this Flea Market ( Which is geared to automotive interests) twice and year for three days at a time. It's is held on a 100 acre farm and there is litterally everything there. If you can't find it you didn't walk far enough. lol. We where there to sell off the remaining left overs from our 66 Chevelle project and to do some shopping for the truck. I found a 9" Ford rear with the perfect width for 125 bucks. A rad from an earlier camaro that is the perfect size, and mint condition for 60 bucks. Now this is where things get really interesting. I have been concidering using some kind of car quarter panels for box sides for a while now. I've had a few ideas of what I wanted. Well at the market I came across a pair of 58 Buick quarter panels including all the stainless and chrome. They have such a cool shape that I just had to have them. I was able to scoop them for 150 bucks. The Chevelle parts left us with $1500.00 after paying for the weekend so I'm still money well ahead.

Now at work for the last couple days I've been thinking about what I could used to make a cover deck and tailgate for the box. I'd been looking over the stuff we had out back when it dawned on me that I still had the front clip from the 69 LeSabre at the side of our shop. Soooo, now the hood is going to be turned backwards and narrowed. The fenders are going to donate the edge that matches the hood and be grafted onto the 58 quartes to provide and edge to build a seal track from and the front bumper is going to get cut up to become the tail gait and bumperettes for the quarters below the tail lights. Confused yet..... yeah me to but trust me this will all work out. Sorry I didn't get any picks of the quarters before they got put away till I need them, but picks will be flowing regularly now that I'm back at it.

Man, I have a lot of work to do this winter......... I love it.:D

On the subject of the box sides. I did find some pix that illistrate what I have in mind. The first one is a box made from what looks like 57 Ford Ranchero quarters. The next two are what the 58 Buick quarters look like so you can get the idea of what I'm up to.

Attachments

• Img_2661-vi.jpg
    Img_2661-vi.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 58bu1.jpg
    58bu1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 58bu2.jpg
    58bu2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 57
That should be a real different but sharp looking bed. Now if you could stumble on a 58 buick trunk lid, that would make it that much simpler.

Just to add ...

I'm sure you've seen the work of " PLOWBOY " ... his work usually gets national attention ... If Not ? ... here's some inspiration ( although it doesn't appear , to me , you need any. )

Those vehicle's names as given by the builder "Plowboy" in order of posted photographs are below if you want to search for the builds on the hamb.

1. Sea Hag

2. Space Truck

3. Lunar Lander

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement guys. I really do love doing this stuff and enjoy sharing and getting ideas from what others are doing. My head is always rolling with the next project or idea, and to be back at this one after such a long time feels very good. Also thank you for the heads up on PLOWBOY. I hadn't seen the first truck you posted Captian Moron, but I have seen the last two. I think those are great rods.
Gastrick, I will be sure to check out those posts on the hamb. This kind of input is why I love it here. :D:D

Just a little update here. I went after work and put in a couple of hours making patterns for patch panels on the truck. As the lower 1 foot of the truck is pretty much gone I have a fair bit of panel work to do before the floor can go back in. I'll try to get a few pics up by the end of the week. I have to borrow my sisters digital camera as mine isn't up to the task anymore.

Well guys I'm sorry there isn't any update pics yet as there really is not much to show. I have been making panels to replace the rotted away sections of my cab, and have also been working on rebuilding my 9" rear end. However I have some sad news to report. The Chevelle that my dad and I spend 1 1/2 yrs on burned up in a fire in my dads shop on Tuesday night. Not only did we lose the car, but dad lost everything in his shop as well. There are three things that are good about this though. 1) nobody died, so we live to build again. 2) Dad and I will always have the memories of working together as we built this car. 3) We were well insured.

It is very unfortunate though that such a beautiful piece of history had to go up in smoke. However, There are a few things that I have learned along my way in this life. Don't fall in love with them for they will never love you back. lol. Enjoy the build, enjoy the ride, include your family, and make friends along the way. This is what's really important.

Goodbye Chellie

Attachments

• DSCF0150.jpg
    DSCF0150.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hate to hear of a loss, esp. a total loss. A friend of mine is a retired mechanic for GMC. Their shop burned, But, most of the hand tools survived, though blacked, he went on to use them for years, his roll around was burned to a crisp. Sorry to hear about it, and good luck on the rebuild.

Man thats a shame about the Chevelle and the shop . the project looking great

Awesome buid!

Love the step by step build pics!
I always forget to take pics till its too late and done.You have been through alot while building your truck,but glad to hear you have a great mindset to move on and not let the bad stuff get you down.You are right about the main things that you had no deaths and you can move foreward!
The good Lord has had his hand on you!Keep up the awesome work,post lotsa pics and tell your Dad it's OK to be a picture ham!You obviously have learned alot from him! GO DAD!!!
Tim

I'mmmmm Baaaaaccckkkk !

Alrighty then, game on. It's been far to long since I've posted, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been anything constructive being done. As a lot of you know there have been a few bumps along the way on this build. The lasted being the fire that destroyed the Chevelle. That issue has now been delt with in full and the insurance company was really good to us. Payed in full with no problems what so ever. So a little plug for ING insurance. They are great in my books.

The truck is now sitting in my buddies shop where I did most of the work on the chevelle. I'll put up some new pics tonight.

I've also been buying and building some new tools with some of the money from the insurance. Along with various hand tools I've picked up a bead roller, and shrinker/stretchers from Eastwood. Also bought a 5' break from a local producer here. Built by a 85 yr old retired engineer who said he does them to have a reason to wake up on the right side of the sod every morning.:rolleyes:

Ok so here are a couple picks of the new diggs.

Attachments

• DSCF6221.JPG
    DSCF6221.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF6222.JPG
    DSCF6222.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 132
Tools

I've been working on a stand for my new Shrinker and Stretcher tools. These things are soooooo cool. :D I can't believe I never bought a set before this. I think it was over at the H.A.M.B. where I saw a picture of a stand similar to what I've built. I liked what he had but thought I could improve a little on it. So here is what I've come up with. It still needs a little finishing and paint, but I think it's gonna work great. I will also be adding a set of wheels to it to make it easier to move around the shop.

Attachments

• Shrinker- Stretcher 016.jpg
    Shrinker- Stretcher 016.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Shrinker- Stretcher 015.jpg
    Shrinker- Stretcher 015.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Shrinker- Stretcher 010.jpg
    Shrinker- Stretcher 010.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Shrinker- Stretcher 005.jpg
    Shrinker- Stretcher 005.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Shrinker- Stretcher 002.jpg
    Shrinker- Stretcher 002.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Im glad no one was injured in the fire.That sure was one sharp Chevelle,at least you'll have the memories to remember,that right there means a lot.The Truck is looking great and glad to here about the tools,should make the truck come together that much quicker.

Thanks guys, it's good to be moving forward again.

Hey Gastrick, thanks for that link. I couldn't remember where I'd seen that for sure. Now that I see it again there really is quite a bit of difference in our designs. It's funny what the mind remembers about stuff. :rolleyes:

Some of the guys have been asking me for some more detailed shots of how I did up my axel mounting brackets, so here they are. On the original Ford F1 axel they are set up with parrallel springs mounted with two U bolts each. With my setup I had to trim off the outter rear bolt tab that is cast into the axel to give me enough clearance to keep the rear steering. I'm not a big fan of having the steering link out front. However the three remaining bolt holes are pleanty strong enough to hold this setup in place. Have a look, I think the pics will be pretty self explainitory, but if anyone has any further questions I'll be glad to help as much as I can.

Attachments

• DSCF6223.JPG
    DSCF6223.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF6224.JPG
    DSCF6224.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF6227.JPG
    DSCF6227.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF6228.JPG
    DSCF6228.JPG