'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to look real good. The profile reminds me a lot of Dave's Scout. This is going to be a cool little truck. Looking forward to further progress.

Thanks snopro. Going topless would be fun and cool. I have a couple topless hot rods so this one doesn't need that feature. I want it to be weather tight and if the top, back panel and door tops were removable it gets to be quite difficult to seal it all up for early spring and late fall driving in frozen Minnesota.

I completely understand. Here in AB a topless car has a pretty short season, but I still like the look and may one day own one. I have a closed cab truck that's well sealed and insulated and has a great heater for a reason!

I haven't seen all your rides, I would love to see what else you have...

The experts on RRR have shown proper bodywork techniques. Now it is my turn to explain how a complete hack gets the job done. I put 10 coats of bondo on and sand almost all of it off after every coat. Got no feel for the process. Once it is primed I coat the whole surface with spot putty. I use it like high build primer in a tube. It is lacquer so it dries fast and is very easy to sand. Not a two part system so there's no rush applying it. Then I DA it off and the bulk of the deep scratches are filled. Good enough for a rough Rover. It is now sanded and ready for paint. (pic is before sanding) Tomorrow it goes back where it belongs.

A Sad Day

Standing in the middle of this picture is Al Tschida. Al was a friend from right after high school. A local legend in drag racing, Al was very competitive on the national level in the C/Gas class for several years. The Willys in the background is a recreation of his most well known gasser, completed about 3 years ago. Boy did we have fun at the Indy Nationals back in the late 60's and early 70's. Al went on to run a funny car called the Cheetah and did quite well for a low budget operation. He ran an auto parts store and automotive machine shop. He did all my engine machine work, untill he was no longer able, about a year and a half ago.

Al died last night.

Sorry Bob, I know that feeling all to well also. I always try to recall this saying to help, "A friend remembered is never really lost"

Hope it helps you too.

Sorry about your buddy. The older we get the more friends we lose. All we can do is keep them in our memories.

My condolences Bob! It is a reminder to take time to smell the roses. Nobody gets off this old ball of mud alive...

My condolences Bob! It is a reminder to take time to smell the roses. Nobody gets off this old ball of mud alive...
What he said. ^^^
... the roses, and the smokin' rubber. :D

Raise a pint to a life well lived. Sounds like your friend Al led a "life well lived". We can't ask for much more that that.

Sorry for you loss.

Sorry to hear that Bob...Unfortunately the only guarantee in life is you won't get out alive. Morn not your friends passing but instead cherish the good times you had together...

Very hard to lose a friend.....

My sincere condolences to you and to his family....sounds like a cool guy with a ton of history....RIP...

Thank you everyone for the condolences regarding my friend Al. The service was Friday and there were hundreds of guys from our old drag racing days there. It would have been great fun, except our pal was missing. The best therapy for me was to go home and work in the garage.

I finally finished contouring the roof and, horray, no more sanding. To seal the drip rail I used self leveling urethane sealer (grey in the pic). I hope it sticks to aluminum and steel as well as it sticks to concrete.

The door window frames are steel and wrapped in thin aluminum. Since I chopped the top 2" I had to peel the aluminum off and cut and weld the steel frame. Then I had them sandblasted. Now the vertical pieces of aluminum wrap were too tall and the top horizontal piece was too short. I reordered how the pieces overlap and was able to reuse the wraps by trimming. No need to add length to the top piece.

Latest posts

Back