'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMM, makes an adhesive designed for float planes that get a puncture in their aluminum floats. it comes in caulking gun sized tubes and can be found at high end boat dealers, it will even dry and bond 2 aluminum panels together under water.

wish I could remember Part Number.

Luvin' this little hot rod!!!!!!!!

I would go with the autobody adhesive over riveting. In honesty if the surface is clean and well clamped you'll be a better and longer lasting hold out of the adhesive than rivets.

Been working on the box for quite a while now. Had a problem with the rear tires fitting. Too close to the inside of the box and with spacers too wide. So I had to open up the cutouts and widen the tubs (in primer) I did the bodywork on the box sides, using a fair amount of Bondo and have them in primer. The top rails and corner braces are galvanized steel. I used primer for aluminum and galvanized steel to coat the inside of the box and the steel parts.

I opted to rivet the new rear panels in place. The corner pieces were quite bent up and required a lot of straightening.

Builder's note: This project is being built as a driver, not a restoration or a show car. If any of you see it in person you will see what I mean.:D

Last edited:

Yeah, rodddguy 1, I'll take rivets for $2.00 instead of panel bond for $75 or more with the gun. I'm satisfied with the look.
These led tail lights are intended for '39 Chevys. They are flush mount so they work here too and fit the mounting location well. I was excited to see what they would look like so even though today was a no car work, babysit the grandkids day, I did sneak out to the garage to install them.

The bezels are heavy cast pieces with nice chrome. I got the lights at Back to the 50's last summer from Rodworx.

LOVE the lights, LOVE the rivets.

first hood scoop I had on my 57 Chevy was home made with it seemed like a billion rivets, love that raw race car nature of rivets and Luium!!!!!!!!!!!

Still plugging away on the Rover. As you can see the back of the cab is setting in place and in primer. The inside of the bed, the gas tank and the other sheet metal pieces that go back there are painted flat black. I got a front sway bar from Chassis Engineering and made nut plates and mounts for it today. Also got lighter front springs from Speedway and installed one tonight. The box is finally bolted in and the seat riser is in place. Lots left to do but it is taking shape.

I sanded on the roof cap for a day and a half and thought I had it in final form. For those who have not back tracked through the thread, the original roof was aluminum and had a very high crown to it. I wanted a flatter, more modern look so I made this roof cap with foam core and fiberglass and retained the steel mounting flange from the original roof cap. It looked okay sitting on saw horses but now that it is in place I see some contour problems. So more Bondo and sanding to come.
Also working on mounting the windshield frame. When I chopped the top 2 1/2" I didn't lengthen the roof from front to back. As a result I lost some roof overhand at the top of the windshield. The holes don't line up. Also might have to add a visor to improve the appearance. Time will tell...
Thank you to everyone who is following this thread and adding comments.

I sanded on the roof cap for a day and a half and thought I had it in final form. For those who have not back tracked through the thread, the original roof was aluminum and had a very high crown to it. I wanted a flatter, more modern look so I made this roof cap with foam core and fiberglass and retained the steel mounting flange from the original roof cap. It looked okay sitting on saw horses but now that it is in place I see some contour problems. So more Bondo and sanding to come.
Also working on mounting the windshield frame. When I chopped the top 2 1/2" I didn't lengthen the roof from front to back. As a result I lost some roof overhand at the top of the windshield. The holes don't line up. Also might have to add a visor to improve the appearance. Time will tell...
Thank you to everyone who is following this thread and adding comments.

Looking good! Keep up the great work!

I still want a topless one like this...

36281b3a64c9d5643ae9cb004a47c622.jpg

Thanks snopro. Going topless would be fun and cool. I have a couple topless hot rods so this one doesn't need that feature. I want it to be weather tight and if the top, back panel and door tops were removable it gets to be quite difficult to seal it all up for early spring and late fall driving in frozen Minnesota.

Latest posts

Back