'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frame is coming along great Bob. Have you ever considered getting one of those cheap horizontal/vertical bandsaws? $300 bucks, lots of time saved (and mess) especially on dimensional tubing like that - I use mine for everything, cutting brackets, trimming sheetmetal pieces & many things it wasn't designed to cut - probably the most used tool in my garage next to the welder and right angle grinder. I freehand cut things with it in the vertical position probably more than clamped in the vise....

X2 ZZrodder. Although after 17 years of use my Craftsman unit no longer cuts straight as all of the guide rollers are plumb wore out! [cl

Yes, thanks Bonehead. I've scoured the 'net for hot rod Rovers and didn't find that one. Mine won't be as cool and it won't be slammed. Haven't decided on how "fine" to finish the body. Also, I'm retaining the "too tall" half cab. It might need a hair cut but not til after it is running and driving.

I have some inspiration for you...
You can drag race one...
or road race one...
and one with a 1/2 cab...
Another with a chopped 1/2 cab if you can ignore the hippie stuff...
and a rear shot of the road race one...

Attachments

• rover 2.jpg
    rover 2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 109
  • rover 5.jpg
    rover 5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 108
  • rover 4.jpg
    rover 4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 113
  • rover 3.jpg
    rover 3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 111
  • rover 1.jpg
    rover 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 106

Thanks for all the pics of cool Rovers.
Today I managed to get the outriggers installed that hold the cowl in place.

The cowl mount bolts are pretty funky in that they run through a sleeve in the outrigger and the A pillar horizontally. There's no room for misalignment. I bolted the outriggers to the cowl, dropped the whole works over the frame, squared everything up and welded.

Last edited:

I went up in the garage attic and grabbed these ladder bars and spring mounts that I bought off Craigslist a year ago. Thinking I need to incorporate some rubber or urethane bushings somewhere in them to reduce transmitting road shock.

One of my lunch buddies, a young feller nicknamed Titus was going to scrap this S-10 rear end. I said, "Stop! boy, what do you think you're going? That's a perfectly good rear end." So he gave it to me and I gave him 20 bucks. Had a hard time digging it out of the pile and unsticking it from the frozen ground today. But I got it in place and determined it has a 3.42 gear, which is just what I wanted.
I'll be angling the ladder bars in as shown. And the fake coil overs will be outside the frame but mounted lower than shown.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding a better tool for cutting steel. Problem is, I'm old and I keep thinking the current build will be my last build. No point in tooling up and not using the equipment. On the other hand, I keep knocking 'em out. Got one more planned after the Rover. Then, I have a number of refinements to make to the existing rolling stock.
Made some simple motor mounts today. This ain't no show car so no need to do a bunch of hole drilling or scroll work.
Made them out of 1 1/2" by 2" .120" wall rectangular tubing with a 1/4" by 1 1/4" gusset.

Latest posts

Back