68 f100 ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't had much time to do a lot on it. Went to Pull-a-Part to look for a drive shaft and slip yoke for the C6. No luck there. I did get the tranny rebuilt and put back on the motor. And now it's dropped back in the truck. Did a little work to the rear body. I filled in the big hole in the back and filled the bottom. Put a layer of bondo over it, it still needs finished though. Bought some front turn signals. Now I'm trying to get a garden going and build a chicken coop. So I will be busy with that for a few days probably. Then back to the hot rod. I really don't want to buy a new slip yoke or drive shaft, so if any body has one.....PM :D

OK... Here goes. Getting back on the horse with this thing. Took a break getting spring chores done. Can't wait any more. I've done a little more work on it not much. I'll get some pic.s up soon. [P Back to my radiator issues. I have come up with a few ideas.

1 Put a Ford 8n radiator in front. Radiator size is 17 x 15"3/8. I have an empty space up there anyway. I think it will fit in where I have the grille. I might have to move it some. I think it would be easier than running everything to the back. But will it cool enough? It and the motor will be exposed so that should help. And an electric fan could be put in if necessary, although I wouldn't want one up front exposed.

2 Put the radiator in back. The one I have is to big. I found some radiators on e-Bay that will fit. Space is 27x16. And at 16 the radiator will be about 6" to the ground, same as truck body. I did find some smaller ones at only 21.5 x 13.25, that would work. Which aren't much bigger than the 8N radiator. But they will have more volume; also because of the extra hose running to the back. And they are aluminum racing radiators, so I would think they would cool better. It will be enclosed under the bed though. If I do it that way I will vent the tailgate, if necessary, and put in a fan if necessary. But then it will mounted lower than the water neck on the motor. I have seen some water necks with radiator caps in them but can't find one to fit the Ford 390. Anyone know where I could find one? Or should I have a separate fill tank with a radiator cap?

I need to make a decision on this so I can make a purchase and move on. Not my strong suit. Always afraid of making the wrong decision. It seems like just putting the radiator in front would be easier. But is it big enough for the motor? I think so, but I don't know so. Putting it under the bed seems like it would be cool. (no pun intended) ;) But is it just over complicating it? Would the koolness factor be worth it? Or just lost.
All comments welcomed and appreciated.

very cool build, I like seeing something different. Even some of the other roadster trucks posted in this thread have some cool ideas even if one does not like everything about them,still makes me think and thats good!

Hit the junkyard.

Some late models have the radiator cap in the upper hose (seperate piece that connects to rad hose on each side).

I think 70's-80's jaguars had this set up that was made out of steel...so it can be modified.

I am pretty sure this one is a jag unit. (dad scrounged it when I wasn't there).

HPIM0243.jpg

Also, some cars had surge tanks with radiator caps on them. Go to the junkyard with an open mind, and just see what you can find.

I saw a copper one from a Mercedes a few weeks ago on e-Bay. I wish I had bought it now. Almost did even though I wasn't sure yet what to do with it. It looked cool. Summit has an inline filler neck. $40 But the biggest I can find is 1 1/2. My upper neck is 1 3/4. They do sell a new water neck that is 1 1/2. But I think I can find a cheaper solution. Trying to find a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 connection hose. Needs to be very short 4" or 5", unless I change the water neck outlet around again. My dad has already cut up and changed the flow direction thinking he was going to run the hoses to the back. If I add a filler neck in there it will be cutting it close with available room going around headers and alternator. The 1 1/2 that Summit sells goes straight out which would work.

Looking and researching this stuff is fun. But I sure am ready to get it on the road. If I had something else cool to drive I don't think I would be so anxious about getting it done. My wife doesn't understand either when I tell her this is part of working on the hot rod. If she comes home and I'm not covered in garage mess she thinks I didn't do anything all day.

What about an expansion tank from a Galaxie? e-Bay has one for $75 with shipping. It mounts direct to the water outlet. Seems like in the open bare bones no engine compartment it might look off. But it's brass, so polished up would look neat maybe. Would it distract from the clean hot rod look? Or add a little something unique and kool?

2-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

Some mock up pic.s

These are the turn signals I bought. Not mounted and laying upside down. But you get the idea.
8.jpg

I think the expansion tank from the Galaxies would be cool up here. A little expensive to me though at $75. But everything is.
4.jpg

I have filled in the rear. Thinking of adding the bumper. I cut it off the front of my old 86 Ford work van. It will need some modding on the ends to look right. But I think it will give it more of a finished look. Rather then just leaving the rolled pan look. Plus I will have somewhere to mount the license plate. When this thing is on the ground my floor jack wont slide under the back with the bottom now filled in. I was thinking of cutting it back out and putting the bumper on hinges so I could flip it up to slide the jack under. What do ya think? I JUST cut the bumper off so it's not together at all. It's in 3 pieces actually. Tried to get it to stay up for a better pic. But wouldn't stay. It's a large bumper. Goes all the way up to where the bottom flat piece rolls back in.Of course I could take some height out of it if needed. Just more cut, grind, weld, again.
2-3.jpg

3.jpg

Gotta say...LOVE DA TRK!! Rolled pan is really Kool, but if your headset on a bumper do a Nerf Bar system. Just my 2 cents but Love Da Trk!!

I think that's the same tank as the one for the Galaxie. Although I wish I had seen it first since it's half as much.:rolleyes:
The bumper looks better than it does in the pic.s. Looks really boxy in the pic.s. I might not use it anyway. Need to do some work to it to see how it would look.
I usually don't like the rolled pan look either. Reminds me of mini trucks too much I guess. I just don't want anyone thinking it's supposed to be part of the mini truckin' crowd I guess.
I was even considering putting a recessed license plate holder in the rolled pan/tailgate. Definitely a mini truck thing to do. If I don't use the bumper I will just screw the plate to the bottom of the rolled pan I guess.
If I come up with a name for the truck. I am thinking of cutting the name into the tailgate. The radiator may need the venting anyway. And it will give some extra detail to the rear end. I think that's why I was considering the bumper in the first place. It looks to plain. To me.[S

I had a brainfart when looking at the bumper for the second time....go ahead and weld it up either cut circles or draw out some slant openings or longated spaces in it. maybe backed with mesh wire and led brake lights?third light? I thinking things up, Plus you can still incorporate a pad for your jack mount.
I'm a teardrop camper and alot of droppers have their jacks welded to the bottom of their frames(?)could a sissor jack be on the bottom and screwed down to lift the trk. Get really slick with hyd drop/jack pad with small onboard tank/pump!! Yea , I know to showtimey. Or unusual. [cl

I was figuring I would probably have to use a scissor jack since a floor jack wont slide under. Welding one in place is a neat idea. Wouldn't have to worry about storage for it then. Which storage is at a premium on this thing. Thanks for the ideas.[cl

Here is the new radiator. 21.5" x 12.5" Pretty small. I hope with the extra hose running to the back it will be big enough. I am going to vent the "tailgate" with some kind of design. And might go ahead and get a fan as well for the radiator. I might wait to see if I need it. But I'm pretty sure I will.
I also got the Ford expansion tank. Curious to see how all this comes together. I'll be hitting the garage tomorrow. I got the turn signals mounted. Put the starter on. Put the nuts on the motor mounts. Did some gas tank work. Hope to get it (the gas tank) finished tomorrow.

radiator.jpg

I also did some cutting on the bumper. Got a little mock up done and tacked on the truck. Just not sure I'm digging it. Took it off, but then later showed it the old man. He thought it wasn't bad. I might throw it back on and get some more opinions from the RRR community. At this point I just want the thing on the road. I got to stop playing with body mods and crap and get er done. I can do that stuff later.

Latest posts

Back