68 f100 ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK OK OK I just thought of another question. The radiator is mounted in the back, standing up straight. The hoses run under the truck to the motor. Will I have a problem with air being trapped in the upper part of the radiator? There is no cap. Can I bleed the air out by loosening a hose, and then not have to worry about air being trapped up there after it's running? If it's holding air then it's not cooling the water. I know guys run radiators in the back. Just having trouble wrapping my brain around all of it.
It will end up lower than the expansion tank. So the expansion tank will be the highest point. So it would stand to reason that it will fill before the tank. But with the hoses running up to the radiator and then back down to go to the motor could I have a problem with an air cavity?
It seems that if I fill everything and allow the air to escape from the top radiator hose while filling I will eliminate some of it. Then once the motor is running and starts flowing coolant. I can just top it off at the expansion tank. Like I normally would. Minus loosening the top radiator hose part.
Do I need to still put an in line radiator cap by the radiator to allow air to escape closer to the radiator? Seems like the easiest solution. Or will the one at the expansion tank be enough? Maybe I should just add a second expansion tank in the back under the bed by the radiator?
OK I feel like I'm talking in circles now.:confused:[S

Great project!

I'd put a 1/8" or 1/4" pipe bung in the top of the tank on the hose side of the rad or maybe in both Rad tanks. Use a plug to seal it up after you bleed the air.

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!! This thing is the $hit man!! I have been waitin for someone to beat me to the punch in cuttin up some later model tin to make a rod out of!! This project is just BADA$$!! [cl[cldr[dr[P

I've also seen vehicles that fill from the hoses. They have pressure caps & everything that are basically spliced into the upper hose. You could add one of those for burping.

Last edited:
Very Kool !! A couple years ago in StreetRodder Thom taylor did a bunch of renderings of "trucksters" using 'late model' pickups, I've often done some mental surfing on the subject, it's great to see someone take up the challenge and get it done !! It's gonna be a slick ride. There's lotsa raw material out there and with the right mods like you've done they can look good.
I've been working on my own altered cab rod based on a 55 Chev pu body.

Radiator is mounted. Only mounts from the bottom. I may add a support to the top to keep it a little more stable. It makes me worry. I think I should put an in line radiator cap by it still. And I put some straps on the gas tank. They will keep it from flying out. But it still rocks back and forth. When I put the bed in I am thinking it should go around the tank. The tank will be stabilized by the bed.

9-1.jpg

14.jpg

And here's the expansion tank. I will strip it of paint so you will see the brass, or paint it silver to match the aluminum look of the other components. Is it me or does it look funny up there? Maybe I should just put an in line radiator cap up front too? I thought it would be kinda kool. Just not sure now. I know things look different in person than they do in pic.s.
Man I am terrible with making decisions.

13.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

This build is looking great! Back on page 4, the chevy, does anybody know anything about the steering setup? I like the idea for relocating the tiller, but it looks like it would steer backwards....Is this one of a kind, or has anyone done this kind of setup before?........

Looks cool without a distributor and all those ugly wires. Maybe you could move that out back by the radiator? Never mind.

I agree, an older rad cap would look better.

Looks cool without a distributor and all those ugly wires. Maybe you could move that out back by the radiator? Never mind.

I agree, an older rad cap would look better.

HA HA HA
Yes I do have the distributor wires etc. Just not in yet. I start to put them sometimes. But I have an order to my madness and am just not ready for them yet.

i love these kinda builds.....

at least im not the only one.......

i have been plannin a biuld like this for a while.....

love the chop and the bed.........not so much on the grill but its still cool.

Great project!

I'd put a 1/8" or 1/4" pipe bung in the top of the tank on the hose side of the rad or maybe in both Rad tanks. Use a plug to seal it up after you bleed the air.

Yep-second DJ3100's motion. My wife's Accord (yes, a HONDA) has a fitting on the top of the intake manifold, looks just like a brake bleeder screw, to bleed air out of the cooling system. The intake manifold on her car is higher than the rad cap, just like your radiator is higher than your overflow tank and fill cap. A fitting will work really slick, just crack it open and keep pouring in the coolant til you get a steady stream out of that fitting-BOOM, you're done!:D

Your truck's looking really awesome, BTW. Thanks for sharing your pics!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

So here's the latest. Moved the radiator up front. Changed the grill to fit it nicely hidden away. The old location in the back will house a trunk hidden under the bed, possibly to hold the battery and a cooler, for you know, Cool Aid and stuff. Axle is welded up, needs bolted back together. The drive shaft you see leaning on it is from the '61. It will be cut down to fit this now. The wheels and tires are also from the '61, 295 50's. So they are as big as they look. They look pretty ridiculous on there. [dr I think they look better here than on the '61. I do want to get it on the ground to see what it looks like with them down low.
Stripped the paint off the radiator holding tank and polished it up. The brown paint on the back is just rust primer I whipped on with a rag to keep all the welds and bare metal from rusting up. Just playing more than anything. Of course the headers are bolted up now. Starter is in.
No money, wife, kids, heat and me not staying off Craigslist "'61 project" have slowed progress a little. I'm actually thinking of selling the '61 now and getting something that doesn't need so much work cause I want this done so bad and don't really have the time and money to play with both. But I really wanted something to drive RIGHT NOW and go to the cruise in etc. with. Yes I want my cake AND I want to eat eat it too.;)
4.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

OK so everyone probably thought i disappeared from the face of the earth or something. I have barely touched the truck since last on here. Life happens. I just got an e-mail from a Cartech guy about my truck though. Apparently he is getting together a lighthearted book together about rat rods and the future of them. Seeing as how vintage steel is disappearing. He would like my truck to be the final chapter. Showing where the future of ratting may be going. This means it needs to be "finished" by May at the latest. At least enough that it looks like it is done and drivable. So now I have a new goal. Actually that was pretty much my new goal anyway. But now I have more reason to do so. Any one who wants to help or hang out is welcome. Saturday is pretty much my only day to work on it. Not that I have been. But I may start putting in some Sundays and evenings. If I can motivate myself enough. If I get through this summer and it's not done, I think I may have to just give it away. Because I will hate even knowing it's out there, not done.

Latest posts

Back