9in Rear End..............errr, huh?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

ok Im looking for a locker, I know what to look for on the ID tags. SOO I found one "3L00" was on the ID tag and the gear ratio did calculate out with turning and counting, but here is my question..............

when I turned the pinion input to start counting rotation, only one hub turned[S you coud feel the other side kinda want to turn, but it didnt..... is that normal, shouldnt BOTH axles have turned?

From everything I have read the "L" in the ID tag means its a locker, meaning BOTH axels are powered, and should turn. well I passed on this 9in, for the main reason that both axles didnt turn, but the other was it was a 3:00.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
if i am not badly mistaken, those ford's used a clutch-type limited slip differential...could be the clutches were worn out, i think:eek:

There are lots of different limited slips, posis, and lockers. They all act different. You may need another person to spin the other side. With spools and lockers, if you turn the yolk, or either wheel, all the others turn (forward) too. Alot of times the other wheel will turn backwards and you can't stop it. An open axle, will only turn the wheel you are turning.
It does sound like yours was open.

If it was a locker both axles should turn. You didn't mention price but the 3.00 gears are rare these days, u should buy it for the gears. Ford also made what was called a "Traction Lock" clutch type posi that can be rebuilt. I don't know what the "tag" code would be for the trc loc.

The "L" stands for limited slip, which is most likely a Tracloc, commonly used in Fords. They are a clutch type unit, are rebuildable, and available in 28 or 31 splines. The 3.00 gear isn't bad for a driver up to 4000# with a tire up to 28" tall, a non overdrive trans, most stockish V8s and cruising at 70mph... as long as you aren't trying to set the world on fire. It was a common gear in mid size cars like a Torino or Mustang with a small block, and 1/2 ton trucks with 302, 351, 360, and some 390 and 460 engines.

It will tend to act like you mentioned if worn, or brakes are hanging up on one side. With everything in good working order, and both wheels off the ground, spin the yoke and both axles should turn the same direction, and open diff axles will spin opposite directions.

A true locker is a lot less common, and more likely to be found in a 4wd truck, as well as lower gears, since a lot of the more serious guys will install a Detroit locker, Lock-Rite or other aftermarket diffs for wheelin hard.

Latest posts

Back