Affordable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize some people don't have the time or talent to fabricate parts or build a car from scratch and that's okay. But don't spend 35 or 40 K on a build and call it a budget build.

Up here almost every one I have met in the car hobby in the last 30 years are investment guys. The whole car hobby has become a cesspool of greed and I have given up ever getting a 20s or 30s body at what I consider a decent price. Any thing under $1000.00 is a total basket case not good enough for lawn art. I bought my 67 Valiant for a grand mint original paint running and safety checked. That gives me $$$$ left over to make it what I want a early low rider with some traditional kustom touches. The car should be done for under 2 grand.

A budget is a budget. It's the amount of money someone has alotted for a build whether it be $1000 or $100,000. Some people just have a higher limit than others.

I'm one of the others. :( Heck, even if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd have a hard time spending it.

I think it all depends where you live I have seen real good projects go for under $500.00 but they are not in the rust belt. The guys not in the rust belt dont understand how much of a premium a decent body goes for you need to double or triple the price for shipping.

I'm one of the others. :( Heck, even if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd have a hard time spending it.

"I'm really good at barely getting by"

Poverty is one of the few things I've mastered in my life (That and a chainsaw).. I'm not gonna quit living that way just cause I've got money.

It really ain't about the stuff ya get--its the journey ya take to get it.

I have a buddy that went over to the dark side last week and bought a C6 Vette.. I ain't got nothing to talk to him about any more. I just smile and act nice when he talks about it. He bought a car with no soul- no personality--might as well be describing a rock.

PA41

PA41;186423I have a buddy that went over to the dark side last week and bought a C6 Vette.. I ain't got nothing to talk to him about any more. I just smile and act nice when he talks about it. He bought a car with no soul- no personality--might as well be describing a rock.PA41[/QUOTE said:
Drive one sometime. They sure do have Spirit! :cool:

I used to follow the whole Street Rod thing for years. It got so expensive I gave up ever even trying to follow it. Those guys buying and building those things...not in my league thats for sure. I race a bomber class at the local oval track and have a blast doing it (cost me about $1000.00 to build it). I often wonder if these guys really enjoy spending that much money. I mean the stuff that see around here is all shiney and when they show them they all have those do not touch signs on them. How much fun can that be??? I'll never own one...I likem ratty and rusty...
just my 2 cents

Mikec

I have found the higher the limit the higher the attitude. I like the lower limits

I disagree ....... I sunk a lot of money into my Studie because I wanted a top dollar custom, that didn't make me better than the next guy and I don't think I'm the exception to the rule, nor do I protray that one up attitude either.

I don't begrudge people for having a lot of money and be able to buy what they want. Just don't call a 29,000 dollar car a budget build.

I don't begrudge people for having a lot of money and be able to buy what they want. Just don't call a 29,000 dollar car a budget build.

A budget is a budget. It's the amount of money someone has alotted for a build whether it be $1000 or $100,000. Some people just have a higher limit than other.

So true Dean, a budget is just that, it's governed by your income, whether it be 5 or 6 figures.

I also get where everyone associates Budget Build to a low dollar build, because over the years that's the language that was engraved into our heads. However, I budgeted X amount of dollars to the customization of my car and even though it's close to 6 figures, I can honestly say I budgeted for it.

Last edited:
I disagree ....... I sunk a lot of money into my Studie because I wanted a top dollar custom, that didn't make me better than the next guy and I don't think I'm the exception to the rule, nor do I protray that bullet how can you disagre with what my perception of my one up attitude either.

bullet how can you disagree with my perception. Its my perception there are sum that are good people but in the Ottawa car hobby I have found there are allot of old car snobs.

So true Dean, a budget is just that, it's governed by your income, whether it be 5 or 6 figures.

I also get where everyone associates Budget Build to a low dollar build, because over the years that's the language that was engraved into our heads. However, I budgeted X amount of dollars to the customzation of my car and even though it's close to 6 figures, I can honestly say I budgeted for it.

A budget is a budget I suppose no matter what the dollar amount. The OP did say that the magazine said it was an "affordable" build which in my mind means something the average Joe could build. I think realistically that is about 10k for most people over a period of time.

I am not the average Joe. I made 11,000 last year. My budget build is a thousand bucks :D

bullet how can you disagree with my perception. Its my perception
there are sum that are good people but in the Ottawa car hobby I have found there are allot of old car snobs.

I have found the higher the limit the higher the attitude. I like the lower limits

I disagree ....... I sunk a lot of money into my Studie because I wanted a top dollar custom, that didn't make me better than the next guy and I don't think I'm the exception to the rule, nor do I protray that one up attitude either.

I understand where the perception comes from, I disagreed with your initial blanket statement ( which lumped all high dollar cars into the same catagory ) the higher the amount the higher the attitude. You did not mention in your initial statement, and I quote,
there are sum that are good people but in the Ottawa car hobby I have found there are allot of old car snobs.
, or I would not have made a comment at all.

The higher the amount the higher the attitude, that's not me, as I stated in my disagreement to THAT statement. Yes there are plenty of higher than thou attitude owners out there, but I find more so that they are a minority when it comes to the true hobby car enthusiasts

I didn't make my statement to start a peeing match, only to say that higher dollar car owners are not always OLD CAR SNOBS, just the opposite in my case. I come for & to support all the car owners & builders, whether it be a LOW DOLLAR build you built it yourself or a HIGH DOLLAR car a shop built for you, whether it be a ratrod, a traditional, a cookie cutter / tupperware hotrod, billet custom, streetrod, muscle car, or a stocker, it makes no difference to me, I love them all.

The term budget build, is governed by ones income, as stated previously, not by what the magazines have so long now imprinted on our brains as a budget / low dollar build. If you're going to call a low dollar car, a budget / affordable build, than call it what it is, a low dollar build and leave out the words BUDGET / AFFORDABLE from LOW DOLLAR, it's an oxymoron. At least that's now I see it.

Last edited:
Knew this post would generate some discussion. Nice to hear peoples different perspectives. We're mincing words though. Still stand by my belief that the sum of $29,000. and the words affordable do not belong in the same sentence.
Wonder what a 6 figure rat rod would look like?[;)

Knew this post would generate some discussion. Nice to hear peoples different perspectives. We're mincing words though. Still stand by my belief that the sum of $29,000. and the words affordable do not belong in the same sentence.
Wonder what a 6 figure rat rod would look like?[;)

Again, depends on your (as in everyones) definition of affordable.

6 figure Rat Rod would have fake patina on it! :eek:

Again, depends on your (as in everyones) definition of affordable.

6 figure Rat Rod would have fake patina on it! :eek:
I was just thinking the same thing. LOL

Again, budget & affordability has nothing to do with how many zeros behind a number, it all depends on your income and what you can afford or not afford.

Even though I made good money when employed and now receiving a decent pension, I can't afford this, but my buddy Keith can, he's a commercial pilot, this is his toy, it's within HIS budget.

reno08_t6_64_T4740.jpg

Last edited:
I understand where the perception comes from, I disagreed with your initial blanket statement ( which lumped all high dollar cars into the same catagory ) the higher the amount the higher the attitude. You did not mention in your initial statement, and I quote, , or I would not have made a comment at all.

The higher the amount the higher the attitude, that's not me, as I stated in my disagreement to THAT statement. Yes there are plenty of higher than thou attitude owners out there, but I find more so that they are a minority when it comes to the true hobby car enthusiasts

I didn't make my statement to start a peeing match, only to say that higher dollar car owners are not always OLD CAR SNOBS, just the opposite in my case. I come for & to support all the car owners & builders, whether it be a LOW DOLLAR build you built it yourself or a HIGH DOLLAR car a shop built for you, whether it be a ratrod, a traditional, a cookie cutter / tupperware hotrod, billet custom, streetrod, muscle car, or a stocker, it makes no difference to me, I love them all.

The term budget build, is governed by ones income, as stated previously, not by what the magazines have so long now imprinted on our brains as a budget / low dollar build. If you're going to call a low dollar car, a budget / affordable build, than call it what it is, a low dollar build and leave out the words BUDGET / AFFORDABLE from LOW DOLLAR, it's an oxymoron. At least that's now I see it.
........................................................................................................
The first word of my statement was (I).

Alright Bullet, are you just trying to make me feel bad? Hey, here's a picture of something else I'll never afford.:)

Attachments

• Mercedes-Benz_SLR_McLaren_AMI.jpg
    Mercedes-Benz_SLR_McLaren_AMI.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back