Anyone watch Pickers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy watchin it. It amazes me what kinda old stuff is out there. One thing that bothers me though is that I was at a swap meet this past wknd and 1 outta every 3 venders thought they were a picker, man what a bunch of overpriced junk. It was a swap meet not a flee market.

They ought to make a TV show about guys like us buyin old cars........Wait a minute........maybe not[S:confused:

I love the show myself, actually was in Iowa last month and stopped past there shop. The chick whose name escapes me at the moment was really nice. The guys were on the road.

Danielle.

I think the main reason the guys don't buy up old cars is because they don't drive around with a car trailer hooked to the back of the van, which is a necessity with old tin.

By the way...speaking of places with loads of old tin, if any of you are looking for parts or projects...I'm friends with a guy that runs a yard full of old cars...newest ones are late '70s, early '80s...majority of the stuff is '20s-'60s. The yard is very well maintained...no trees or thorn bushes growing all over everything. Oh, and he sells parts too. Here's a link to my photobucket album with pictures from the yard:

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn252/Snake-Man_2008/

The more I watch that show, the more the taller guy really annoys me. He's pretty phoney acting I think. My picking buddy thinks the show is going to ruin it for us but there is so much junk and so little time. We got into a guys place yesterday, he sent us to 2 old family farmsteads and told us we could have anything we find, even loaned us flashlights to go in the basements. We came home with a pickup and trailer load and are going back with a bigger trailer for some horse drawn machinery, whatever I can get off the 35 chevy and the 26 International.

This has had me thinking that we, as a group, should start a show on the history channel for resurrecting old cars and trucks. We can cover the entire country without ever really traveling (since we are from all over) and each of us could get some credit and publicity to help promote our craft and enthusiasm. Each episode could give tips and tricks to finding old tin and restoring it. Just a thought. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet.
The Speed channel could show something like this, but I think they might be trying to change their name to the NASCAR channel. Seems like they only show that topic except when people sleep.

I have never seen this pickers show what channel is it on? and i agree with you on the speed channel I pay for that channel to watch how to auto shows not nascar, check out this wrecking yard

Attachments

• HPIM1943.JPG
    HPIM1943.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 41
I've become a picker of sorts.

A couple years back I had a new furnace installed.
While there the furnace man commented about my '50 Studie and said he knew of one that was disgarded 30+ yrs. earlier but just couldn't remember where. While 2 months later he comes knocking at my door, he remembers where it is.
He gives me directions to the middle of nowhere to a farmhouse where 2 little old spinsters reside. I knock on their door and explain why I'm there and ask about the Studebaker.
They both point to a stand trees back of the house beyond yonder field and say there's a bunch of old cars back there, you can have anything you want it's no good to us.
Long story short ............ I find upwards of 60 - 70 cars and trucks dating back to the 40's and in the middle of the entire group was a '50 Studebaker.
I've been returning year after year slowing picking through axles and motors, and making plans on how to get at a couple cars I'm interested in and out from the middle of the stash.
Sorry I have no pics of the graveyard.

your avatar kicks i want a poster of that as for as pickers a local guy is going to be on the show its set up first good show now prices are going up on junk.RRR is a cool site just came on board

I too have been stuck watching the show, I do think they pass on a lot of stuff. But to each his own, I guess we all have certain things that spark us, but they also have to be aware of what will sale and what will sit. I sure hope to get over to their shop this summer when I head down to see my folks in Vinton.

I liked it, watch it every week...I usually see atleast one car an episode I'd like to have

someone needs to start a show where they just go out looking for old cars, same plot diffrent theme

someone needs to start a show where they just go out looking for old cars, same plot diffrent theme

I mentioned that earlier. We have a great network here and we could cover some major ground without really traveling out of state. Although I'm sure if we did start a show like that prices would go up for other hot rodders. It's one of those things... be greedy and don't tell anyone where these places are or let them get picked to death and have nothing left.

i would nto be able to do what they do for a living... id be broke and my place would look like some of the places they vist

What is sad about the show is that some of the places they visit have old cars and parts that are NEVER going to see the light of day again. The one place where the guy had all the Crosleys had so many old cars sitting in weeds and trees higher than the cars that you couldn't get them out of there if you tried. We all hoard to a a certain degree, but to let it just sit outside and rot away is so pointless.

Don

easy come easy go?

What's more weird

The folks that wont get rid of worthless old junk....
Or the folks that want to get it away from them so bad?

One thing about that show - those guys really don't know much about cars. I saw one recently where they got all fired up about a 65 or so fairlane that hadn't run in many years and basically needed a totaly resto. Looked like a $2k car to me, but they paid some ungodly price for it thinking they were going to be able to hose it off and sell it for $18k.

Uh....[S

Same with that Pawn Star show, which is another good one. Those guys really shouldn't buy cars, tend to pay way too much for crappy cars.

Love the show..

Everytime I watch it I think of my in-laws. As much as I love my bride, her parents are really odd. They are now in their 70's and live on their 300 acres in East Texas, and have been horders since they retired and moved onto their land there. Every time the wife and I go there to visit, we wander around the property and you wouldn't believe all the crap out there on that property. They have out buildings all over the place around the property full of stuff. But, they won't ever sell, or get rid of any of it. Years ago I tried to buy an old coke machine they have in an old barn thats falling down and her Dad wouldn't even hear it. It's not like I wanted him to give it to me, I tried to offer him fair market for it. That was about 15 years ago and now that barn has falling down over all the stuff in it, including the coke machine, and it may not even be restorable now at all.

Not to mention the countless array of John Deer equipment some vintage, some "was" useable rusting into the ground out there, AND a 1964 1/2 Mustang, an split window VW bug and countless other classic cars and trucks. His son even tried to buy the mustang from him several years ago and he wouldn't sell it to his son even. Now that is beyond restoration. I just don't understand the mentality.

Anyway, my inlaws place would be a pickers dream, but they might very well get shot for even approaching them.

Latest posts

Back