Anyone watch Pickers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've got some friends like that. The Son is good friends with my Sons, and in his Moms garage they have a Mustang 2 + 2 fastback, a 64 1/2 convertible, several other old cars, and a 32 Ford 5 window coupe body leaning against a wall. I've tried for years to buy either the 2 + 2 or the 32 body but they won't even discuss it. This has been going on for 20 or more years and the Mom keeps saying she is saving it for the one Brother, but he hasn't touched them in all this time.

I'm not trying to steal them at some lowball price, but they won't even consider it, and they are getting worse every day because of the dirt floor in that section of the added on garage. They even have a forklift in there, for God knows what reason, and it is also rusting away. What will happen is the Mom will die some day and the scrap guys will come and get it all.

I don't get it.

Don

My Mom isn't a hoarder but years of living in one place created quite an accumulation of stuff. We removed a lot to make the condo presentable for sale. Over the holidays it sold and I had 4 days to empty the place. What a pain in the butt that was!

It did prompt me to start decluttering my house. Been hauling hundreds of books and household items to the Goodwill. Don't know when I'll get to the un-needed car parts.:D

One time I took my Sons into our shop and waved my arm at all the parts hanging up and sitting on shelves and said "Someday guys, this will be ALL yours!" They said to me "You better never die, Dad!" :D:D They've made me promise to get rid of most of it before that happens. :D

Don

I agree,i think the reason they don't but alot of cars is that they have no way to get them home and they take up alot of room.So that means a towing service that costs money and cuts into profit.I did see one episode recently where they bought an old bullet nose studebaker,but another one where they left a hudson convertible that had been sitting in a shed for 40 years or something like that.I think they probably know what they can turn around quickly.They tend to supply decorating companies,etc more than specific collectors.On a funny note they are always mentioning "restoration hardware" in their ads.I thought it was some made up name and low and behold i go to the mall in the city(i don't do malls or cities if i can help it) and low and behold there is a store called restoration hardware.I went in and holy cow yuppies are morons if they will pay those prices for some of that stuff.I saw a table made of 1 inch square bar(about 50.00 worth)and 10 pieces of old barn wood for a top-2400.00$!!! I gotta start making tables.I would love to go to some of the places they go and grab some old signs and maybe a gas pump or two for my shop.There are still a few places like that around me that i've had a chance to look through.Some people give it away,some won't sell it to you if you had a million dollars.I guess it depends if you have room and money.I know if i was a millionaire i'd be driving around buying old cars,bringing them home,keeping some and parting others out just to save them.I'd probably need a new wife though cause i don't think she'd go for my plan,better win big so i can give her half!!

Pickers

When the show 1st started it was interesting but its turned into to much staged bullcrap,almost as stupid as that Pawn shop show in Detroit.There is a new reality show coming out in Feb. about Swapmeets and car corrals at swapmeets,and thank goodness its about the real swapmeets,not a bunch of gold-chainers telling everybody how they built their 32 Ford and they don"t know the difference between a phillips or regular screwdriver.I saw some of the film crew at a couple of shows and RatRods were in the mix too.Should be interesting show,anything has to be better than seeing Chip Foose screw up peoples cars.:cool:

Now THERE is a show I can't stand, the Detroit Hard Core Pawn one. That Daughter is a real B****, so much so that I can't turn off the trailers they run for the show fast enough. What a phoney baloney bunch of idiots. :mad:

Don

I'm gifted,I can close out the two tits on American Pickers and concentrate on the people they visitwho I like a lot.
Hard core pawn is the biggest crock of fake reality crap my eyes have ever had to witness,oh apart from operation repo and Dog the bounty hunting pleb with a scary wife and wannabe swat kids.

I still like to watch pickers but it is totally staged. I mean how stupid are we supposed to be , when they are first going into some one's place the camera is already inside. I also agree you have to kind of block out the 2 dorks to enjoy the show.

Yeah, I like the show, but the two guys are dorky as hell. One of their phrases that makes me cringe is "yeah, I'll pop on that.." GAWD I hate that phrase...[S

TV

The show,since being a reality show would be alot better if they would show more of the real people telling them to get the hell off their property and maybe kick the Frank dude in the ass as hes running for the van.And that daughter on hardcore pawn I ain"t never hit a woman but sllapping that bitch would be just the right thing to do.About the only thing on Speed channel I really like to watch is Pass-Time.Pinks was good when it started now all you see is a bunch of idiot helpers on the show and why the hell doesn"t the Rich guy ever race a car? Best episode was when the busted his ass on the crotch rocket.[cl

Yeah, I agree.. I think it was pretty freaking funny the old dude that lost it on them. They don't show those much, and I also think they should show more of that. [cl

One thing about that show - those guys really don't know much about cars. I saw one recently where they got all fired up about a 65 or so fairlane that hadn't run in many years and basically needed a totaly resto. Looked like a $2k car to me, but they paid some ungodly price for it thinking they were going to be able to hose it off and sell it for $18k.

Uh....[S

Same with that Pawn Star show, which is another good one. Those guys really shouldn't buy cars, tend to pay way too much for crappy cars.

i too believe they pay 2 much for the cars,but the fairlane was a factory 4 speed car with a hot motor,would have loved to had that car for what they bought it 4

I'm gifted,I can close out the two tits on American Pickers and concentrate on the people they visitwho I like a lot.
Hard core pawn is the biggest crock of fake reality crap my eyes have ever had to witness,oh apart from operation repo and Dog the bounty hunting pleb with a scary wife and wannabe swat kids.

TV has really taken a 180 turn from the old days. Actually a pretty bright move on the part of the producers if you think about it. They used to have to spend all this money paying professional actors, script writers, set builders, etc to do a show. Now they find some "interesting" everyday Joe in some strange profession, prop a camera crew in his home or business, and simply watch them make fools of themselves.

What shows started this all........American Hot Rod and American Chopper? We car and bike lovers tuned in because we thought we might get a glimpse into the real world of professiona car and bike building. What we got was Hollywood drama and more balloon rides, wrestling matches, goofs and silly stuff than we bargained for. So now we are stuck with shows like Real wifes of Bumshoe Idaho, Dog the Preacher Bounty Guy, and Pawn Shops that have experts on every artifact ever made at their disposal to call in on a moments notice. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see where these show take TV. Probably in 5 years we will be watching some guy go to work at his office and just sitting in front of his computer all day, or some housewife doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen. Ah, give me shows like Johnny Carson and the Dean Martin Show any day!!!!!! :D

Don

Actually

I think the one that started the "Reality TV" craze was "Real World" on MTV. I think it was the first, and was a big hit (I hear). Then, I think the Jesse James documentary several years ago that spawned into a series about his shop, then Moster Garage started the facination about bike building, then American Hot Rod, and American Chopper came on on the heals of that. Then, the documentary (I cant remember the name of it) that kicked off the series "Deadliest Catch" started the "occupational" reality show on dangerouse "manly" jobs, then Axe men, Swamp Loggers, yadda yadda yadda.. Just a huge barrel roll of reality shows with similar themes, and starting new themes based on the heals of those.. Kinda like thermal runaway. We're probably never see a show based on the sewing room at a seemstress shop. Well, at least I hope not.. [S

Personally, I would love TV to go back to sitcoms, and variety shows. I used to love those old Carol Bernette shows & Honeymooners.

My Mom isn't a hoarder but years of living in one place created quite an accumulation of stuff. We removed a lot to make the condo presentable for sale. Over the holidays it sold and I had 4 days to empty the place. What a pain in the butt that was!

It did prompt me to start decluttering my house. Been hauling hundreds of books and household items to the Goodwill. Don't know when I'll get to the un-needed car parts.:D

Bob, I have a golden rule that I started when I lost 98 lbs back in '97 (divorced a mean little woman). If I don't use something after 6 months, I get rid of it one way or the other. Now, that does not apply to bike and car parts. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back