Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Bob, A 65 year old with a hockey stick sounds like a bunch of guys having a good time. I played football for 6 years in jr & senior High School, When I graduated and went to college my football career ended, those boys at that level are real serious about the game. :eek:

Hot rod is looking great. It will be fine for a few street runs if you can go easy on the peddle, A problem most drag racers have. ;) Sounds like we might see a few driveway tests soon. [cl[cl

Was PM'ing FrenchTownFlyer the other day and he got back from his winter place in Florida a week ago. They had just got some of the same white stuff at his home in southern MI that he had went to FL to get away from. The weather has been a little different this year as we have already got a years rainfall in the first 4 months. No complaints as our fire season is only 6 months away. :rolleyes:

One problem I had with the hockey experience was both leagues were 21 and older. Tough to keep up at 65. But I loved every minute of it.

Yesterday was very nice, sunny day. I was able take a short drive in the Fiat. Today, not so nice.

The floor is in permanently except for the toe boards. The MSD and Cheetah shifter are installed. Now sorting out the wiring. That will be completed tomorrow.

I have a roof insert made from my ill-fated Jeep project. Problem is the roll cage sticks slightly above the roof line. Probably have to make some bubbles.

Attachments

• interior 001.jpg
    interior 001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
  • interior 002.jpg
    interior 002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 43
  • interior 003.jpg
    interior 003.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 41
  • interior 004.jpg
    interior 004.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 40
That sure looks sweet Bob, great build that we all can enjoy. That foot box area has twice the room I had in the SDRA dragster and you don't have to have a powerglide between your legs. :eek:
Lots of BBC racket real soon. [cl Stay safe and healthy.

After a bit of tweaking I got the toe boards installed. After a bit of tweaking I got the gas pedal, throttle linkage, return springs and bracket installed. With no tweaking I got the above the dash panel and windshield installed.
The header mufflers I bought a while back had 3 1/2" flanges. The headers have 3", so I had to cut off the large flanges and weld on smaller ones. They'll go on tomorrow along with very short tail pipes and turn downs.
I've got Carhart canvas material for seat upholstery. Have to get some foam and maybe just stable the fabric in place.
It could make noise any time now.
A weird thing is happening here. I have for the most part enjoyed building the car. But I have little interest in getting it running and driving or racing it.

Attachments

• variety 001.jpg
    variety 001.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 44
  • variety 003.jpg
    variety 003.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 43
  • variety 002.jpg
    variety 002.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 45
  • variety 004.jpg
    variety 004.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 44
Bob you got me worried.....
First the "tweaking" then the loss of interest in doing what you do?
Do we need to have an intervention at your place?
I hope it's just a temporary mental lull.
:eek::eek:[S[S:eek::eek:

All looks real sweet, Bob. You know the answer to your remark Buddy! Your a builder*** Always will be *** Put her on the selling block and move on to the roadster :):):)

Me on the other hand would have to drive & race it, as it would have taken me years to build what you did in months. Some may not agree and that's fine but I know where you are coming from. Theirs always the FM dragster. Remember that 82 year old shoe, that could be you. :D:D:D

Normally while building a car I daydream about driving or racing it. I have no such feelings with this car. I like old pokey hot rods and slow nostalgia drag cars.
The problem is my brother gave me the engine and many other parts. A close friend sold a lot of other parts to me at below rock bottom prices. So if I sell the car do I owe them some money? Or am I relegated to keeping it forever because of their generosity?

I made a mistake, The floor is in but there is under the car work to do (pic 1). I don't do well under cars. A form of vertigo affects me. Not fun. Mufflers and hooking up the shifter cable are next. I hope I don't barf.

Honestly, I'd rather be driving this (pic 2) or this (pic 3), now that the weather finally is warming up. But, both need attention and the Bantam is taking all my time.

Attachments

• delima 001.jpg
    delima 001.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • delima 002.jpg
    delima 002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 33
  • delima 003.jpg
    delima 003.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 33
Have run into the same problem on a couple of the aluminum boats I built Bob, For some reason I just couldn't feel the love for them and as soon as they were done they went down the road.
My father was do it yourself guy all his life, one he hit his 70's he had the same problem he just couldn't work under his car, made him dizzy and not feel right.

[P[P

Last edited:
It's a kind of claustrophobia. I used to be able to crawl all under my house to do plumbing repairs, run wires, etc. Now, I get scared stiff to go under there, afraid it's going to fall on me, especially if I am jacking it up a bit to level it. Same thing with heights, I worked construction in the 80's, I could walk a 4" wide concrete form, 75' long, 60' in the air. Now I can't hardly get on top of a house without getting light headed.

Something about getting older, maybe we get smarter? :D

Well Bob, that's the problem with gifts, You'll figure out the right plan to make the payback good for all. [S[S[S I don't think you are the type that will store a build in the shop collecting dust, just to say you have one. ;);)

Getting the roadster pickup on the road sounds like the best thing for a nice weather ride. :cool:

As I have tried to be a good friend it would be my pleasure to race the Bantam out here on the coast for you and provide video free of charge.[cl[cl No that won't work as I am not sure I can see a 1/4 mile down the strip these days, well it sounded like fun. Stay safe & well, you will work it out.

I appreciate you very generous offer, Tom. If you can't see a quarter mile you could run the eighth mile. Too bad we can't work that out.

More rework today. The hole in the floor for the shifter cable was too far back so the cable did not reach the lever on the trans. The repositioned cable interfered with the driver's seat mounting bolt. The right muffler was too close to the ladder bar. And so on.

I'll get it. Just ain't got it yet. (Courtesy of Rat Rod Bob Builds on You Tube)

The Chinese Flu is keeping me too close to home. I'm getting on the nerves of the domestic engineer.

Most of us on here have more then a few builds under our belts, like you bob.
I suspect that if we took a poll we would find many that didn't always fall in love with every build.:eek:[ddd And that's ok.:D
I have always been a custom guy but have had a few outright hot rods as well, to fill the need for speed.:D [ddd
At this point in my life I'd just be thrilled to have any thing that was drivable.:D
The gifted and bargain priced parts do somewhat complicate matters when it comes to a sale.
I know that you have done the same for other builders. Have all of them kept those cars or shared in the profits with you?
There is also the "Pay it forward" type of thing. Some one has helped you out so you help some one else out .
That's how I got the NOS fender for my Dodge. Some one i know had a person help them out on a build and instead of asking for money, the person that helped out told my friend to help some one else out when they could.
You will figure it out.
Bantam is looking great.:cool: :cool:
[P [P
Torchie

Thank's Bob, only one 1/8 mile track in Southern CA in the San Diego area, 1/8 mile racing never really got hold out on the coast. You'll work things out, you always do. [;)[P

Go easy on that domestic engineer or shill move your new sleeping area out to the shop, might be OK for the summer but winters are going to be real hard. Dixie was never happier than when I had my shop in WA & the race car to work on.;):)

Speaking of the little woman. She went to Target today and wore one of my grinding masks. After a few minutes she ripped it off. Said her glasses steamed up and she was suffocating.

Went to my you friend Jeff's (Titus) house today to see if his wife, Jenny aka Stitch B*tch would sew some covers on the Bantam seats. I brought the foam and Carhart material. Jenny does award winning interiors and I wasn't sure she would mess with my seats. But, she took pity on me and will do them.

While there I took the attached pics of some of the stuff Jeff has for sale. If anyone is interested let me know.

Attachments

• Jeff cars 001.jpg
    Jeff cars 001.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Jeff cars 002.jpg
    Jeff cars 002.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Jeff cars 003.jpg
    Jeff cars 003.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Jeff cars 004.jpg
    Jeff cars 004.jpg