Chassis Build: 34 Ford PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELpolacko

Larry came to me a while back, he found a very clean 34 PU cab and bits for cheap, problem was it was for a multi-ton truck, so no frame. We hashed it out for a bit and I encouraged him to find an original frame which he did! Crusty but still usable. Larry collected parts for a while and we got started on the chassis build a few weeks back.

Frame as delivered:

Knocking the frame rails straight again and beating the rusty out of it:

Clamped it square to the table and removed the really beat front crossmemer and installed an NOS unit Larry found:

Bit of mock up and head scratching, the stock center had to go to make room for the one compromise, the T5. Old MorDrop axle, split 35-36 front bones, rebuilt 35 rear and a flattend out 35 rear spring crossmember.

Dr Marvelus did a bit of minimal boxing to shore up the crusty frame:

Then I went to town building a new center X support that would locate the rear bones and transmission.

Frame assembly and some more mockups before we can do the steering and pedals. Pretty typical stuff, so here's the pictures:

I enlarged the holes for the engine mounts, couldn't find the correct units even though I paid extra to get the right ones. Sometimes you have to admit defeat. Notice how far off to the left the spring U-bolt holes are. I had to enlarge them to the right to get the spring clamp in. Now I know why this was NOS... :

Engine and trans assembly was "interesting" and required a full day of scrounging the correct parts to make it all work:

Safety hubs installed"

Rear end buttoned up, spring assembled and clamped together. It's a roller!:

Working on a 32 Ford frame right now, but next week the cab and front fenders go on. See ya then!

Hi ELp. Keep up the nice work.
I'm just putting a T-5 in a '36 Ford so you're making me rehash recent memories. Your way of doing things is nice, whereas I chose to install mine after the truck was finished and test driven. My way is much more disgusting.
Keep on tinkering.

Nice work... I really like that crossmember set up...

I am currently restoring the chassis for this:

As soon as I have some progress shots on it, I will post a build thread on it too. Once it's a roller I will get back on the fenders and cab installation on this 34.

Steve, good for you for sharing your skills.
If you looked thru other builds here I bet you'd choke on the words
wanting to come out.
But maybe with your quality as a example someone else will try harder.

pay attention, this guy builds stuff right !

Leo, I have browsed a few posts. I'm willing to live and let live.

If someone needs help, I would be glad to do so. I will be posting more as soon as we get back on this project. Right now I'm wrapping up some mail order stuff so the projects are on hold this week.

I recognize the name! I've used your MII drawings on many occasions. Very nice work indeed and you will be an inspiration to all of us here. Our next build will be something similar so we will be watching closely.

Latest posts

Back