"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Drama" maybe isn't quite the right word. How about "headache"? ;)
Today, I got started on the gas pedal and associated stuff. I dug up a good heavy cable from a Volvo, a pedal assembly from a Toyota, I think, and one from an old Cutlass. I'm thinking to cut 'em up and make one good one. Neither fit where I want to put it. Just another day. That's all.

Attachments

• Gas Petal.jpg
    Gas Petal.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 45
Gas pedal done,almost. I have got to find an adapter for the carb to cable. If my remember isn't totally shot, there's one in a drawer out there somewhere. There goes another day looking for that. Well, I've only a few more minor details before she's ready for the road:
1. Finish headers.
2. Make and install floorboard.
2.a. Install seats and belts.
3. All the wiring.
4. Re-do and finish rear suspension.
5. Drive shaft
6. Fuel tank.
7. Headlights.
8. Transmission cooler.
9. Shifter.
10. Completely disassemble. Obtain ¼X3 flat bar and weld to inside of channel iron.
11. Fab and install three crossmembers between frame rails, for strenthening.
12. Re-assemble with what parts I can find from the disassemble procedure.
That's all I can think of now.

Attachments

• GasPedal.jpg
    GasPedal.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Carb1.jpg
    Carb1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 74
Haven't gotten much done this last week. Tha alergies have been kickin my butt. I did get out today and got started on the shifter. '73 Cutlass shifter. I turned the cam plate around so it would work where I want to put it. But, as usual, it's not going to work right. So, I have to put a "jack shaft"(?) on it to put the short a$$ cable in the right place. And the bracket for the tranny end of the cable is hiding somewhere out in the mess. I'll have to make one of them, too. Ain't nothing been easy lately. Oh well, like my Grandpa used to say,"if it was easy, the girl scouts would be doing it for you." :( That's all.

Attachments

• shifter 1.jpg
    shifter 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 47
  • shifter 2.jpg
    shifter 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 44
  • shifter 3.jpg
    shifter 3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 43
  • shifter 4.jpg
    shifter 4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 45
  • shifter 5.jpg
    shifter 5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 44
Another saga! I guess if you had a helper to argue with, then it would be drama. :rolleyes: I don't mind the engineering or the fab work, I hate looking for lost parts/tools and tripping over/getting caught on/getting tangled up in the same things a zillion times.

I've been stuck on the gas pedal too. I guess I'll go your route and fab one together.

...and your Grandpa cracks me up.

Sam, yeah Grandpa was a character. He was still out playing in his shop into his 90s. We had to hide his chain saw when he was 87. He got a pacemaker when he was 86. The docs told him he couldn't be around any electric tools because they would mess up the pacemaker. Well, he hooked his heart monitor up and went through every electric tool he had. Plugged each one in, ran it, and watched the monitor. If it changed, he red tagged that tool and didn't use it anymore. The only ones that didn't pass were old, old ones he never used anyway. He was a design engineer and chief engineer at a big valve company. 50+ years there. He even had a few patents for parts of the brake systems on a steam locomotive. Very smart man. He would have loved this internet age we have now. I still miss him sometimes. Like messing with this rod. I could have had it finished by now.
Anyway, I managed to get the shifter done today. Now, I've got to cut and weld the brackets for where I want to mount it. That's another chapter. That's all.

Attachments

• shift 1.jpg
    shift 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 38
  • shift 2.jpg
    shift 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 30
  • shift 3.jpg
    shift 3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
  • shift 4.jpg
    shift 4.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 27
Junker.....

to me, it looks like you are forging ahead rather nicely... you're much too hard on yourself..... on step at a time and before you know it... you're driving it.... yeah, I think we all miss our grandpa's when they go.... I was 13 when he passed..... he was a pattern maker for GM and could build anything out of wood.... I probably would have liked working with him... he was a great guy....gone too soon... Anyway, keep moving, you'll get there....[cl

I figured out how to mount the shifter and got the top mount fabbed up. I think it's going to work out OK. Sitting in the seat, the shifter is even with the seat when it's in low gear. There will be a console of some sort down there so I'll be able to just rest my hand on it and click the shifter up, to go to second and then drive. I'm going to put an extra tit on the shifter cam so it won't go to neutral without pulling the tee handle on the shifter. I really should have stayed awake during geometry class. It took three tries to get the angles right on the box tubing. For some reason, common sense didn't work. At least for me. That's all.

Attachments

• Shifter and brace.jpg
    Shifter and brace.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Brace top.jpg
    Brace top.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 42
Well, as usual, I had to do some revisions. I messed up on the measurements on the shifter. The shifter has a 2" throw and the cable needs to travel 2.75". So, I had to re-do the arms on the jackshaft to get what I needed. Doesn't seem like much but, my math skills need a little tuning. Finally got that welded up and accidentally found the bracket that mounts on the tranny. It was hanging on a nail not two foot in front of face, the whole time. I had to cut it up and reweld it to fit the C-6 and it fits good. All that is left for the shifter project is making an adapter bracket for the shift lever on the C-6 to hook the cable end to. That's got to be in the right place too. That will throw the 2.75" cable throw off, if not at the right place. More trial and error. Mostly error probably. But, I'll get it. That's all.

Attachments

• 350.jpg
    350.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 28
  • C6.jpg
    C6.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 30
I'm letting the shift cable rest for a couple of days. I got on the windshield wipers now. Took the whole assembly out to change the motor. I figured the 6volt motor wouldn't last too long. I did manage to find the spare Toyota motor I've been saving just in case. It mounted on the backet without much trouble. I cut a new arm from an old Chevy engine lift bracket. All that's left is a shorter 10-24 bolt with more area with no threads. The threads would eat up the nylon bushings after a little use. Then I can hook it up to a battery and find the "park" position to know where to place the arm. Fairly easy job for a change. That's all.

Attachments

• old wipers.jpg
    old wipers.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 27
  • new wiper.jpg
    new wiper.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 27
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Long bolt.jpg
    Long bolt.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 25
The wipers are almost finished. One more removal to grind a little off one of the arms. It hits right under the windshield every time around. I could probably just let it run a while and it would wear down. But, my luck, I'd get all the wiring done and have to pull it out again. Might as well do it right.
I managed to get the old ignition switch and wiper switch out and "new" ones installed. Figured to get started on the wiring while the front of the car is still under the shed. When I turn it around to work on the rear end, the front will be outside. A little shade is good.
That's all.

Attachments

• under dash.jpg
    under dash.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 40
I got the ignition, starter circuit wired up. The wipers are done and I got started on the light switch wiring. (see pic of dimmer switch) And the electric fan is wired except for the heat sensor. I'm letting the fan run on low speed until the engine hits 180* and then it will switch to high speed. And as an extra safety issue, I'm going to run the fuel pump relay thru an oil pressure switch, to make it cut off without oil pressure being present. (if all the car companies can do it, so can I.)
I've got to find a wiring diagram so I can wire the 120 amp Volvo alternator into the system. That's all for now.

Attachments

• dimmerswitch.jpg
    dimmerswitch.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 45
  • wiring1.jpg
    wiring1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 59
You see all right Sam. The plan is to find the fuse block, the same size as the connector block I've got mounted, and put it there. I've got one somewhere[S or maybe I saw it at my Dads shop. It's got the standard round fuses but, it's got to be better than the VW ceramic fuses. I just got tired of looking for it and put the connector block in so I could go on without loose wires hanging everywhere. Thanks for seeing that. I can tell you've been around.

Looked for fuse block with no luck. Got the light switch back in and wired to the relay. Fabbed up front inside seat mount/crossmember/stiffener. That's all.

Attachments

• crossmemberseatmount.jpg
    crossmemberseatmount.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 31
It seemed odd that you were taking extra steps to protecting your motor, but I couldn't see any fuses. I thought maybe you had something tricky going on.

Until you find a fuse block, since you used blade connectors, you could just use blade fuses temporarily.

I couldn't find my old fuse block so I had to go bum one from the local parts house. I keep their computers going and trade out that for parts. Right now, I owe them about two years computer work. :eek: That'll work itself out. One of the guy's wife is always got her p/c messed up.
I got the fuse block mounted and mostly wired in. I've got an empty space for the fuel pump and one for the turn signals. Anything else is going to get an inline fuse like Sam suggested. And I mounted the fuel regulator on the handy-dandy hinge I found in a Volvo. I'm going to mount a fiberglass "door" on the hinge to cover the inside of the dash. The regulator will just swing down out of the way. That's all.

Attachments

• Fuseblock.jpg
    Fuseblock.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 79
  • regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 67
  • hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back