"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much done lately. Went looking at how to keep the body in one secure place. The original pan mounts will work except for the right hand front. The post with the door hinges is not connected to the rocker panel any more. 30+ years sitting in the dirt might have helped that. I think a three foot piece of 1" angle, under the rocker panel will hold that and some 1½" square tubing welded to the frame and bolted to the sheet metal inside, should hold that corner. Maybe a sheet metal patch on the outside,too. Everything from the bottom hinge on up, is in good solid shape. If I had a spare $899.00 I could get a new channel assembly to replace the rusted one. I kind of like the rust, at that price. That's all. Note: the square tubing that's used with the wood clamp is just to help hold the corner in place. Also, most joints and welds are just tacked to hold them until the whole thing is dis-assembled, cleaned up, and welded out.

Attachments

• corner 1.jpg
    corner 1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 68
  • corner 2.jpg
    corner 2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2 bottom right.jpg
    2 bottom right.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 70
It's been a while but, I got a little forward movement done. I borrowed a MIG welder and managed to stick the headers together. Someone else is going to have to weld them out. I just can't get the hang of it. Voltage, gas pressure and wire speed adjustments. Plus, I can't see what I'm doing with the hood on. Even with a cheater. The headers fit fairly good. (for a boilermaker anyway) They both stick outward about an inch more than planned but, I'm not cutting any thing now. It'll just have to work as is. I think I can move the side pipes out a bit and a heat shield will cover the rest of the mess up. That's all for now.

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 163
  • headers 1.jpg
    headers 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 140
  • headers 2.jpg
    headers 2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 132
  • headers 3.jpg
    headers 3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 133
Got it all tacked now. I'd forgot the flanges and 45s. Sounds good like this but, I'm probably going to weld a long piece of 3" on the street hookup reducer and slide it inside the 4" side pipe. I figure on putting a bunch of 1" holes all over the 3" and a cap on the very end. It should quiet it down a little and maybe not create a lot of back pressure. It's not going to matter anyway.

Attachments

• sidepipes 1.jpg
    sidepipes 1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 190
  • sidepipes.jpg
    sidepipes.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 187
I've been absent a while. I had to go do the "W",(work), thing for a few weeks. Besides catching up on all the honeydos, I finally got the headers welded out and mounted. I found out that the metal has to be perfectly clean,(sandblasted) and there can't be any wind blowing around. I managed to make the welder "sing" to me. About time. I've got maybe two good welds and the rest are mud dobber welds. But, nothing seems to leak.
I made an adapter to hook the cable from the Olds shifter, onto the C-6 tranny. It works too.
Then mounted the tranny cooler. I've got to get some steel tubing to finish hooking it up.
Still looking for just the right sheet metal for the front end. Then turn it around and start on the rear end. It's got to go back to the drawing board.
That's all for now.

Attachments

• 1119111630.jpg
    1119111630.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 1211111506a.jpg
    1211111506a.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 1212111137.jpg
    1212111137.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1215111702.jpg
    1215111702.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 74
Like the pipes. That radiator looks big out front - gonna be hard to cover it up. If i would have known you were trying to weld outside, I would have mentioned the wind/gas problem - that's what flux core is for.

Any ideas at all how you are going to sheet the front end? Did you have any of the original front metal? Are you going for open wheel? How much wider is your track width front to back? Keeping the original back track width?

Sam, live and learn I guess. I was told not to try and weld in the wind but I never thought they meant ANY wind or breeze. Oh well, I know now. Yeah,the radiator is kind of big hanging out there but I think maybe a large tractor grill or something like that, will work. I would like to leave it open wheeled but have the hood and some sides to at least cover the engine down to the headers. I've got a good picture in my head and I'll just have to wait till I run across the right place and time. No hurry. I probably won't have the $$ when I do find it. The original front metal would be nice but it was crushed pretty bad on one side so I junked it. Another boo-boo.
The front and rear track are real close. From brake backing plate to plate, inside is the same, front and back. The track will change a little with the wheels and tires. I'd like to keep the rear tires inside the fenders. If not, I can put some flares on it on make something. At one point, I thought about a one ton Toyota or Datson rear with duallys. Who knows, if somebody gives me one, it might happen. That's all. Thanks.

All I've gotten done, in a couple of months, is put some 16" rims and tires on. The local junk man owed me for a little work and brought me two rims, as requested. I just forgot to request they should be the same style rims. One has a one inch inward offset and the other a four inch offset. Oh well, at least I've got something to go on for rear end placement. The old skinny tires weren't making it.
My significant other has been confined to the bed since before Christmas, with some pretty serious back malfunctions. I've been staying close by in case she needs something. I'll get back to workin' on it some day. Got a little job coming up next month so that'll help with the cash flow. #or lack of#. Yall keep up the good work.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 68
I managed to get a little done. I made an air filter housing out of two old flywheels that were hanging around. A little work but cheap. And I started on a cover for the framework inside around the booster. All the old computers I've been collecting are paying off a little. Some of 'em have good sheet metal. I may put some quarter inch plywood over all the metal but then again...
I have to go workin' for a couple of weeks so not much is going to get done again. That's all.

Attachments

• 0211121735.jpg
    0211121735.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 0223121713.jpg
    0223121713.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 0223121712.jpg
    0223121712.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 58
  • 0223121711a.jpg
    0223121711a.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 0211121737.jpg
    0211121737.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks to Compaq computer co., I had enough metal to get this much done. I'm going to make a removable top for it with drink holders and maybe put my oil pressure and temp gauge right above the shifter. My two week job turned out to be eight days. Now, it's too nasty outside to do anything. Just the way I like it. :D That's all.

Attachments

• 0308121300.jpg
    0308121300.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 41
  • 0308121301.jpg
    0308121301.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 39
Mr Creative Person ~:0)

Your creativity on this project is brilliant! - what great fun U R having ~:0)

Really enjoy Ur solutions - especially the ever popular air cleaner - bewdy! ~;0) VivaChas! [;)

Thanks Viva. I'm thinking it might be being without funds seems to make the brain work differently.

I got a little more done today. A piano hinge and some trim around the edges and maybe a little paint. I'm trying to make this stuff keeping in mind I've got to work on all this stuff later on. I don't want to have to take the whole thing apart to get to one item. I see a few screw-ups already but I'll work around them or re-do if necessary. Later.

Hey Sam, I know it ain't the best looking thing around but I'd hate to have any particular item take all the glory. Gotta keep it all looking the same. :D

And I've discovered that I've got to find a small, deeper, steering wheel. I can't get in and out. And that's without a floorboard!!:eek:

Attachments

• 03111219111.jpg
    03111219111.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 03111219151.jpg
    03111219151.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 42
Almost got this little project done. A couple of supports inside the house and come up with a method to hold the top in place with a quick dis-connect so I can get to the master cylinder when the time comes. And I discovered the belt cover, off an old Snapper tractor, will fit perfectly between the seats. And I can mount a console/armrest on it. That's all.

Attachments

• 0312121903a.jpg
    0312121903a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 0312121424a.jpg
    0312121424a.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 47
I dug the other seat out and set it in for measurements before coming up with something for an armrest between the seats. I did manage to stick some sheet metal on the "firewall" to help close the gaps. (more computer stuff) They look out of place right now but, after they rust up and change colors, they'll fit right in. :D

And thanks for the comments. I need all the help I can get.

Attachments

• 0321121521a.jpg
    0321121521a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 0321121750a.jpg
    0321121750a.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 0321121751a.jpg
    0321121751a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 72
I just read the entire build and i think you are doing a great creative job and on a budget. Sidepipes are a personal favorite of mine since my high school days in the 70's.

From the pic's...

Kinda gives it a space ship vibe.......looks bigger from that shot than the others...but doesn't look bad....[cl

Latest posts

Back