"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The Ghias were not real small cars inside once you got in. Plenty of headroom even for guys like me at 6'1". I'm trying to get the seats just right so there's no problem with entry and exit. That's where the memory buttons on the electric seat comes in. But, the steering wheel has got to go. I'll get a 10" deep dish wheel to bring it out a bit and give me some room for my legs. Later.

Hello. I finally got thru with the 12 hr days(about 28 of 'em) and will try to get back on the build next weekend. There's a bunch of "catch up" to do around here first. I did manage to start it up and let it run a while the other day. Gotta keep the neighbors from thinking I gave it up.:D

I put a little steering wheel so I can get in and out a bit easier. Maybe today I can get something else done. Probably not. The grass is about a foot tall from all the rain we've had the last two weeks. Oil pan gasket on Dads Buick, some TLC on my Toyota, A computer or two to look at, and.............

Attachments

• LW1.jpg
    LW1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
  • LW 3.jpg
    LW 3.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 49
I know, Sam. I might not make my 2024 deadline if I don't get busy. I'm trying to come up with some kind of grill. Just haven't run across the right thing yet. I've got the front head lights and parking lights to go but, without the grill, I can't do that. And the heat and humidity seem to make me want to stay inside if I ain't got some other "project" going on. Some day..................:)

Maybe I can get something done now. The good ole boys gave me a layoff again. I'm either not the right race or they don't want someone smarter than them. (maybe both) Looks like it's time to get back on the Ghia.
I did manage to fab up a front bumper of sorts. Mainly to let me know the oil pan is going to drag. I put the bumper just about the same height as the pan. And it will keep the radiator out of harms' way. It's just a hair crooked but who cares?
It will give me something to work off of to make some kind of grill. Then it's making a brace for the steering shaft. I'm running out of good scrap metal again. Time to go scouting around. Later.

Attachments

• Front Bumper.jpg
    Front Bumper.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Front Bumper 2.jpg
    Front Bumper 2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 89
OK. Here I goes again. After a few thousand ideas on some kind of grill and sheet metal, I decided to move the radiator back to its' original place. I scored a hood from a Ford pickup that will work perfect if I move the radiator and lean it back a little. I had to cut the brace I put in for the shock towers, just to get it in. I can weld that back later. I'm going to put the old style power steering pump back on so there won't have to be a reservoir. Then, cut a notch or two out of the fan shroud and weld the rad support brackets back on.(I'm sure I'll have to make new ones) And remount the tranny cooler. Then, I can cut and mount the hood, make another grill, mount the headlights and turn signals. And that will, no doubt, take another six weeks. And I can't forget to do something with that heavy bumper sticking out front. Ah, another day in paradise. Later.;)

Attachments

• idea # 237,008.jpg
    idea # 237,008.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Idea # 237,009.jpg
    Idea # 237,009.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 76
  • no rad.jpg
    no rad.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Rad moved.jpg
    Rad moved.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 69
Yes sir, it's not as easy as I thought. I may be on to an idea. (again) I've got to rumage up about six feet of 1" box tubing and try it. Maybe able to get the grill and headlights done this year. Only have two months left.:)

That was my thought also. I'd really have to do a boatload of "redo", again, to change out radiators. Sitting in the car, the top of the radiator is down low and not in the view at all. I've come up with a front clip, slightly bent, from a Ford pickup and I'm working on using pieces to fab a grill and hood. I have a good plan but, making it work right may be a chore. I just need to take my time and look ahead to the next step before cutting stuff up. I've ruined quite a few things because they wound up not fitting in with the overall plan. Hopefully, this time things will work. (if I can manage to measure and cut right.)Later.

Here's another try. I cut the headlight mounts out of a core support and used a brace off my wheel barrel to mount them. (it was almost the right size) The grill, what's left of it, will mount above the lights and will have a flat panel above it and back to the front of the hood. Looks like a good spot to put my 55 Pontiac hood ornament. The tranny cooler will fit between the grill and radiator. The hood will come down about three inches in front of the radiator and will meet up at the same level as the grill. I'll cut the fenders to fit to about eight inches above the headers and back to the "firewall", maybe six inches in from the outside. At least, that's the plan. Later.

Attachments

• support.jpg
    support.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 51
  • headlights.jpg
    headlights.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1016121057.jpg
    1016121057.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 47
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 50
  • with grill.jpg
    with grill.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 152
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 64
  • cooler spot.jpg
    cooler spot.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 48
This might give you some ideas - a tube grille. I definitely would ditch the light surrounds - way too bulky. Infact, I would get away from the square lights. Hot rods have round headlights IMO.
100_0253.jpg

Much better round....

This might give you some ideas - a tube grille. I definitely would ditch the light surrounds - way too bulky. Infact, I would get away from the square lights. Hot rods have round headlights IMO.
100_0253.jpg

I believe that is / was a very good choice..... [cl

I'm with you on the headlights Sam. Just one minor problem with that. I don't have any round ones except for an old pair of tractor lights that are too small and are only single beam. I've got to use what's available. I can always change things up if I run across a couple of big ones. Ain't nothin' a band saw and welder won't fix. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back