Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads011.jpg

Bought a SFI harmonic balancer and flexplate. Went to a swap meet and found these heads. They are GM replacement Bow Tie heads. Usually used on dirt modifieds, which is where these came from. They have been acid ported and have 2.05 intakes. One bare head from Summit is $380. I got the pair for 3 hondos. They're not as good as a nice set of AFR's but good for the money.

FiatEngineIn001.jpg

Finally got the 377 inch sbc & the 700R4 in the frame. The heads came with monster springs designed for a big roller cam. Just received some more sensible springs but they don't fit the keepers quite right. Waiting for rocker studs and guide plates. The compression calculates at 10.3 to 1 so I'll be into expensive gas.

Love that grey colour, just looks all business.

Brings to mind the kind of colour that big industrial machines are often painted or something...

FiatEngineIn001.jpg

Finally got the 377 inch sbc & the 700R4 in the frame. The heads came with monster springs designed for a big roller cam. Just received some more sensible springs but they don't fit the keepers quite right. Waiting for rocker studs and guide plates. The compression calculates at 10.3 to 1 so I'll be into expensive gas.

Sounds like you just need to stick a big roller cam in that motor....

HambReassemble006.jpg

Picked up a new 24" driveshaft Friday. The passenger side wheel was sitting with a little too much camber so after an hour of measuring I found my error. Since I didn't build any adjustment into the front end I'll have to cut the tabs off that hold the upper a-arm and remake that area, This time it will be welded in the proper location.

Yeah, jammerspeed, the power to weight should make this a pretty fun ride.

Thanks, Wendle. Sometimes I just have to get away from black for a chassis.

Whew!

Wow Bob!
I don't know where I have been to miss this build. Outstanding work. As has been said before I was itching all over by the time I got to the end of your build. As you said I don't like body work either because I'm too old and too tired. Congratulations for sticking to it. Beautiful! I love this site because we get to see what great innovative and knowledgeable craftsman like yourself can accomplish. I now know something about fiberglass work. Thanks for the build. Great job and have fun at the strip and getting there too. I will stay tuned. Steve

FiatEngine008.jpg

Got the heads assembled and installed. My Harland Sharp rockers won't clear the valve springs, which are 1.525" in diameter. Luckily I had a set of ProForm rockers and they seem to fit okay.
Also completed the fuel line to the Holley carb, shimmed the water pump pulley for correct alignment, managed to fit the alternator on the lower left of the engine with a low buck Speedway bracket, and made up a lower radiator hose, which has to go under the crossmember.
The body could be going back on this pig next week.

Flipper, sorry no money in the budget for a big roller cam. Would be fun though.

agdeuce, thanks for the complimentary remarks. I sure hope it rides, handles and performs well or it will become an expensive piece of back garage filler.

FiatPaint005.jpg

Back in the 60's I helped a friend run a C/Gas Willys. At the U.S. Nationals we came up against Hill & Zartman's Willys, The "Filthy '40. That Willys had a primer paint scheme that I have somewhat duplicated on the Fiat. Pork Zartman could really shift a 4 speed. He died about a year ago. The Filthy 40 impressed me so much I wanted to pay a bit of tribute in this way.

I'm surprised no one else thought to mention yet that this tiny car should "go like stink" when it's done...:D

Hey Earthman, I wonder if the orbs in the previous pic are a visit from the fella the car's paintjob is tribute to? Perhaps, someone smiles down in happiness for being remembered.:)

Cool car, Bob. Always enjoy seeing what you're up to.

Regards,
Shea:)

Reunited!

BodyOn001.jpg

Finally, the "skunk" body made it back on to the chassis. Still lots of work left. It will be close getting it done for Back to the Fifties the third week of June.

FiatSparkplug007.jpg

Slowly, I've been putting all the pieces together. The angle plugs heads were a not in the original design and have now caused a clearance problem, as you can see. Fortunately it is a secondary brace so losing a little strength shouldn't hurt.

Thank you for the kind comments fellas.

E-Man, the headlight are just simple hot rod lights from Speedway Motors.

Looking great Bob, it's really coming together..that should be like driving a 400hp go-kart when you get it finished:D[cl[cl

Milkshake005.jpg

I missed the GSTA car show in April. Now, I'm missing the Back to the Fifties extravangaza this weekend. It's not for lack of effort though. The interior is almost complete. It could be pretty hot and loud inside this thing. I guess that's part of the overall experience.
I did fire it up and the 377 sounds pretty nasty with open headers.

Couple more weeks...

Yes, zz, lots of "doh" moments. I also find myself standing in the garage, frozen in one place trying to remember what I was going to do next. Gettin' old is he!! but it beats the alternative.

Latest posts

Back