Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FiatRevs002.jpg

To answer the questions about how it performs, I don't know... So far I've put about a mile and a half on it. I can say you don't need to step on the gas much to get it rolling. First to second shift is nice but it won't go into third and I've had it up to about 40MPH. (700R4)

The rear shocks are way too stiff so today I made a new upper mount and tipped them about 30 degrees. Still too stiff. Been looking at racing shocks. They are rated for stiffness by a numerical system.

ANY EX-OVAL TRACK RACERS OUT THERE THAT CAN ADVISE ME ABOUT THE CALIBRATION SYSTEM? I'M THINKING OF USING THE SOFTEST SHOCKS WHICH ARE 1-1. PM ME WITH ADVICE. IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

FiatRevs003.jpg

Another problem that needed immediate attention was the noise created by the Holley electric fuel pump. Seems like the whole aluminum interior was affected by it. I remembered that I saved some rubber isolators from a treadmill I scrapped a few years ago. See the blue thing in the pic. The two isolators made a huge difference.

I'll continue debugging the thing by taking short rides and making modifications. Next is I think the aluminum rockers are touching the valve spring retainers. Like Gilda Radner said on Saturday Night Live, "It's always something".

Last edited:
StudieShow019.jpg

Took it to a show today about 25 miles from home. Longest drive to date, all on county highways.
Here's my impressions:
1. It rides quite well for being small and light weight.
2. Acceleration is not a problem.
3. On a 90 degree day an aluminum interior is quite uncomfortable.
4. In order to have some leg room, and there is barely enough, I had to push the engine forward as much as possible. That threw the balance off as the car is nose heavy. Not a problem for normal driving but it won't be good for Autocross, which was one of my objectives.
5. I didn't hang around the car so I don't know how much attention it got. Not very much I suspect. There's only a small number of people that understand what I have built.

My conclusion is it was really fun to build but I don't think I'll drive it a lot, nor very far.

Well, I think you did an awesome job, never mind the people that don't get it - we all know what it takes to scratch build a kool car starting with just a fiberglas shell. [cl[cl
Sooo, nose heavy, plenty of power, hmmm, sounds like a recipe for frying the tires and doing donuts to me !! :D:cool:

4. In order to have some leg room, and there is barely enough, I had to push the engine forward as much as possible. That threw the balance off as the car is nose heavy. Not a problem for normal driving but it won't be good for Autocross, which was one of my objectives.

With the whole motor well behind the spindles, I don't understand how it can be all that nose heavy.

What is it doing (or not doing)?

With the whole motor well behind the spindles, I don't understand how it can be all that nose heavy.

What is it doing (or not doing)?

Bob you really need to "scale" the car to see where it is as far as weights (F / R bias as well as corner weights) It might be a product of tire selection that is throwing it off. Might need to get more tread on the ground up front. If it is close to a 50/50 but you have twice the traction on the rear it will still under steer under power.

Wow! What a great car and build. Did you ever work all the bugs out and race the car? Have you scaled the car? Unbelievable for what you started with!

After an almost one year slumber I dragged it out of the back garage and pulled the engine. I had a starter problem right from the first day. Noticed missing teeth on the flexplate ring gear so that has to be replaced. The starter was only engaging about half way when fully extended. I removed a spacer from the starter and put a new flexplate on it and it looks good. Also, it never ran right. I have Bowties GM raised port heads and was concerned there was a mismatch between the heads and the intake manifold.. It appears that was not the problem. Now looking at the ignition system and carburation. I'm gonna get rid of that obnoxiously loud Holley fuel pump and put a Carter in-line pump on it. Hoping to put some miles on it after it cools off around here.

I put it back together. Starter problem solved! Rebuilt the carb and timed it carefully. It still runs ragged. So I got PO's and pulled the heads and will pull the cam too. I'll put some "camel back" heads on it and a mild Crane cam in it that I have in the back garage.

The tire on the left is what Is on the Fiat regularly. On the right we have a 16 1/2" Hoosier Pro Street Radial. I'm thinking the little ones are too little but maybe the big one is too big. Any opinions?

Back