First Project continued... 37Ford/46International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure glad i found this site, just getin ready to start on my 47 kb-2 truck. Your photo's sure help a lot to get a feel step by step how things should go. Gonna build close to your stance too so love the help. Lookin forward to more progress updates.

Glad I could be of assistance, FARMER.

Here is how I'm mounting this grill. I welded tabs (not pictured) at the tops to mount to the top of the radiator frame. I may scoot them up to lower the grill some. It came out a little too high. Good thing I only tacked everything this time.

1-5.jpg

7-5.jpg

I got my supports threaded and mounted.

10-3.jpg

9-4.jpg

Smoothed out my mounts.
8-5.jpg

My baby hangin' out.
4-5.jpg

Let me know what you think about the grill. Is it mounted too high. I thikn it is a bit. I want to lower the top and rake it more by pullling the front out some. I can't go down much because of the tie rod.

3-5.jpg

5-5.jpg

Here's a side view. The grill is a lot taller than normal and needs to be raked a little more. Just my opinion and I'm no expert so let me know what ya'll think.

6-5.jpg

It's a matter of personal preference of course, but I think you are on the right track with your grill height. In, my opinion, it shouldn't be higher than the cowl. I would drop it down until it was at cowl level or slightly below it.

Definetly should be a little lower in my opinion but lookin great, I love the looks of the grill and your simple builds.

Lowered the grill and it looks much better. Started the grill shell... man whata b^*$%! It came together okay, but now I need to figure out the best way to mount it. I wanted to just use bolts but I will need to make a lip on the inside of the sides because the sides don't sit flat. The top is setting flat so I can bolt it, but I'll have to make that lip. I could weld the shell on it since the whole grill comes off, but it would be harder to get to the bolts to take it on and off. I may cut a circle in the top to have access to the radiator cap and get a cool cap or I can keep it covered. Hopefully ( and I think they won't) the points of the shell won't interfere with the way I want to run my exhaust.

Here is the grill lowered.
grillLowered_front.jpg

grillLowered_side.jpg

Shell was in 4 pieces. I started with the right 2, then the left top, then the left side.

1-6.jpg

2-6.jpg

got the grill shell mounted. I was going to have the bolts on the top exposed and got the idea to use those spike I bought instead of a regular bolt head. I'm getting a lot better at welding, but I really need to study more and practice more on the really thin stuff. I still have a hard time keeping it from warping. Some more grinding and touching up and the grill shell will be done.

1-7.jpg

2-7.jpg

3-7.jpg

4-7.jpg

Cleaned up my tail lights/ blinkers... Bought some stuff to convert them to the 1157 double element bulbs (I'm just going to solder them in).

1-11.jpg

2-11.jpg

3-9.jpg

4-9.jpg

Just read through the build!
I'm also curious where it's at now. It's been a month or so it seems.

Oh, and you may have already said it, but I'll ask anyway.
Who makes the rear trailing arm you used? I only assume it's manu'd with the finish it has on it...

Thanks for your interests, friends. I had to put a halt to the progress for a minute. I have been laid off from two of my three jobs and the third job (my pinstriping and airbrushing) just isn't consistent enough for a living so I'm looking for work right now. No $$$ for parts... and I have a new baby on the way.

Life is just kinda crappy right now, and I'm trying to get out of the funk.

The trailing arms are from an S-10 (not factory).

TRUST ME, I WANT TO WORK ON THE TRUCK IN A BAD WAY!!!

Hey, man , good lookin` truck! Don`t get discouraged now, and as far as the "no $$$ for parts" thing, $$$ are tight all over right now. Hang in there, it`ll get better.

Back