First timer - 49 Ford Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking good..[cl..hope mine turns out this good.....i'm cutting the top off my 37 chevy pick-up in 2 days[;).....good luck the rest of your build.

Progress has been very slow due to a number of reasons but I am hoping to finish the top this weekend. I chopped 4" but I think I could have went 6" and been OK. :)

Attachments

• side view_edited-1.jpg
    side view_edited-1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 111
  • front view_edited-1.jpg
    front view_edited-1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 103
  • closeup glass_edited-1.jpg
    closeup glass_edited-1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Back_edited-1.jpg
    Back_edited-1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 106
Disclaimer: I have never done this before. If you do it my way I am not responsible. :) I am a stick welder not a wire welder. If it looks like bird droppings I already know. :D

Some thing's I am learning.

Do not be afraid. If you have a welder and something to cut with you can fix just about anything you make a mess of.[;)
48 Fords are turret tops. That means they are shaped like a pyramid with most of the angles off. Just work it out.
There is a lot of great info on this site that will help. :)

I noticed today there was a slight twist in the front of my glass tracks on the doors. To fix this I left the outside of the doors tacked and cut a relief cut on the inside of the door post (fronts) I then took a pipe wrench and put a slight twist in them and re tacked. First two pics show crooked glass track and second two show straight.

I cut 4" out of windshield post. I should have just cut 3 3/4". This would have given me more to play with to close up my gaps. I am still working that out.[S

Attachments

• post 2.jpg
    post 2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 87
  • post 3.jpg
    post 3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 86
  • better widow 2.jpg
    better widow 2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 82
  • better window.jpg
    better window.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 76
Just wanted to post a few pics. Sorry I am still in the boring pics part of this, it will get better with time. It is just always raining these days. :( Here are some more pics of the top. I still have a little ways to go but I am very pleased. The doors open and shut and all the windows look straight. The A/C would not open and close so I cut it out. I am going to repair it and weld it back in. May wait until I finish the dash though. The hole looks to be perfect for getting behind the dash and working. :D My tubing will be in tomorrow for my floors. As soon as I have enough of that in to keep the cab straight I am going to start on my frame. The pics will get better then.[cl

Attachments

• ac vent.jpg
    ac vent.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0460.jpg
    100_0460.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 52
  • vent out.jpg
    vent out.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 52
  • behind dash.jpg
    behind dash.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 50
Top Pics

Attachments

• back glass tacked.jpg
    back glass tacked.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 76
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 73
  • windsheild center.jpg
    windsheild center.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 73
  • left corner.jpg
    left corner.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 78
Looks like it's coming together very well! The chop looks good.

Very interesting doing the doors first. I'm using a similar 302. What's the plan for induction? Stick with the FI?

Looks like it's coming together very well! The chop looks good.

Very interesting doing the doors first. I'm using a similar 302. What's the plan for induction? Stick with the FI?

I have not seen a 5.0 EFI Rat Rod yet but since I have a gt 5.0 w/A9L computer with od trans and do not want to spend more money than I have to.... looks like EFI it is :D

I would check the numbers on those heads of yours, some
exploders "not sure years" have GT-40 heads and they
sell for a pretty penny as a performance up grade
might even be enough to get a carberated set up if you find the right person. Just a thought if you wanted to try to go carb. And you can use the tranny you have with a carb set up.

What part of GA you in?

I would check the numbers on those heads of yours, some
exploders "not sure years" have GT-40 heads and they
sell for a pretty penny as a performance up grade
might even be enough to get a carberated set up if you find the right person. Just a thought if you wanted to try to go carb. And you can use the tranny you have with a carb set up.
What part of GA you in?

Oh yea, I got the good heads and intake. The distributor, wiring harness and computer came from an earlier 5.0. Think I am going to try and make it work :) I am about 10 miles south of Macon. If you live in this area some rat rod buddies of mine put their money together and are putting on a killer show and swap meet in April. Sure to be some good rat rods there. [dr http://www.perryswapmeet.com/

That swap meet looks cool, Ill add that to the calender for sure

Glad to see some one use a ford in a ford for a change[cl and EFI on top of that
your a rebel for sure. lol Are you planning any HP mods to the motor in the build or the near future? If so you might want to make sure you have an obd2
computer it allows for more tuning and is now cheaper to have tuned than obd1.
Sorry if you already know this. I get excited when I see a build powered by a ford,there's so few of us.And btw the chop/truck looks good keep it up.

I see a m112 in your future lol[dr

LOL Anarchy, my "other car" is a 95 GT Mustang 5.0. I have however owned every year Nova (2 - 63's and 2 - 74's) except 66 and 67 LOL Really want a 5.0 2011. [dr

So they are coming out with a new 5.0 awesome is it another mod/ over head cam motor? or a push rod? I really hate the 4.6 well to be honest i hate all over head cam motors, there just so ugly. Anyway I love the 94- 95 stangs I did the m90 sc swap on my 95 3.8 it was fun running/ out running the GT's in my stang club. so sad i sold it.

The ohc mod motors perform alright but aren't very swappable because they're so damn wide and yeah ugly. The 5's EFI system was pretty cool looking. IMHO the 5.0 was probably one of fords best ever motors (I liked the 351 Cleveland too, kinda a cool semi hemi).

Regards,

Rev. D.

Latest posts

Back