First timer - 49 Ford Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much thinking and pondering I cut up a bunch of good steel today (2x3x3/16). With everything laid out and with the radiator centered over the front wheels I will have a 126" wheelbase, about the same as a short bed extra cab Ranger. It's a little long because I am using leafs in the back and want my tire centered when I mount the bed. Already had new leafs, rear end, cal-tracs, etc. for a 63 Fairlane. The Mustang 2 cross member was also built for the Fairlane. The Fairlane had about a 5 degree slant in the front frame so I had to build that into this one. It was made to go under the engine but I like the radiator centered over the tires look. Basically I measured the bottom of the Fairlane and built to that but dropped it 3" in the center. In the picture the yard stick will be the front of the cab and the rear cross member will be just behind the cab. After it's all together I will have a couple of more cross members. I'm new at this so I'm doing more thinking than working :D

Attachments

• 100_0576.JPG
    100_0576.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0575.JPG
    100_0575.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_0578.JPG
    100_0578.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_0577.JPG
    100_0577.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Rear part, Not much to look at but it's square and it's level. Had to use 2x3x3/16 because of the Mustang ll cross member I already had. Burnt it in deep with the stick. Not pretty but it will not break. Plan to add some plates over the welds. Hope to finish the front part tomorrow. [;) [;)

Attachments

• 100_0591_edited-2.jpg
    100_0591_edited-2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_0589_edited-2.jpg
    100_0589_edited-2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 79
Its about time you got some work done. Frame looks great. Your cab also came out killer. If ya want load up the frame and come out and i'll weld er up for ya. Glad to see things are gettin better for ya.

Its about time you got some work done. Frame looks great. Your cab also came out killer. If ya want load up the frame and come out and i'll weld er up for ya. Glad to see things are gettin better for ya.

Thanks a lot Annamel, the back part is completely welded. I should get the front done today. Using the stick is not too bad, just dirty. Takes a lot of, thinking, leveling, squaring, shimming trying to do it off a not so level concrete floor. :D I feel good about it so far though. Maybe all four wheels will touch the ground at the same time :D

Still have a lot of bracing and welding [;) to do but that's it for the weekend. Nice to see a frame in the garage. May sit a chair in it tonight and make motor noise. :D

Attachments

• 100_0595.jpg
    100_0595.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0594.jpg
    100_0594.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 70
Well, like Annamel has said, it has been a hot Georgia summer this year. Not much has been happening with the rat rod. Had a few cool mornings here lately though so it's back on again. :) For the most part the frame is all welded up. Got to add some fish plates and cross members. Front suspension is welded in. Could bolt on the coil overs and arms and make a roller out of it. I decided to put everything on the rear end and square it off first before tacking it in place. Just can't find my U-bolt nuts. :D Set the engine and transmission in so I can mock up some cross members. I am stick welding everything (7018's) so I like being able to roll the frame over and over to weld flat. I'm not too good at welding vertical. :eek: [;) Frame is sitting about 2" above ride height to clear the engine hoist. I have the transmission pan just a little above the bottom of the rail for clearance. Cab fire wall will be just behind engine and back of cab will stop at green tape on rail in front of Z.

Attachments

• 100_0652.jpg
    100_0652.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0656.jpg
    100_0656.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_0651.jpg
    100_0651.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0650.jpg
    100_0650.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 72
Ok, not much of an update but a lot of thought and welding went into it and everybody likes pics :D Engine and trans mount built and tacked in place. Trans 3 degrees down. Still got to beef up that front Z some and also plan to beef up the trans. crossmember a little more. Everything 1/4 or 3/16 so far.

Attachments

• trans mount.jpg
    trans mount.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 56
  • engine mounts.jpg
    engine mounts.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 67
Clean. I was kinda looking at that trans mount - that flat iron has no strength like that. I just had to put a deep notch in mine and ran into the same problem.

This is true Sam. Did not think the trans. would be that high. Once I put the oil pan 1/2" above the frame scrape line and the trans. 3 degrees down I ended up turning the cross member over to work out. Going to have to do some creative thinking to make it stronger and still not interfere with the floor above and exhaust below. Oh well, live and learn. When I build my next one I will know how to do it :D

I bridged my 6" span with a couple 1/8" - 1x1's welded on the top flat portion of the 1/4" 2x3. Did that make sense? Basically, I cut out the lower 1-3/4" of the 2" side of a 2x3. Then I flattened my 2-1/2" exhaust pipe down to 1-3/4" tall to fit through. Kind of a gorilla way of approaching it, but it'll work for now. It still has about the same flow as a 2-1/4" pipe - which was the smallest I was willing to go.

If you need to have a flatter exhaust pipe, think about welding in a section of 2x4 or to get you past. Or possibly 1-1/2x5. (Figuring a 2-1/2" pipe) Keep in mind, you need to keep the same sectional area in order to avoid reducing flow.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I am not satisfied with it so I know it will get changed. Some Zoomies would solve my problem but I want full exhaust (under the truck) :D

Ok, built a new trans. cross member to shorten the span on the 1/4 plate. Needed to have room for 2.5 exhaust and fuel and brake lines. Not an easy task considering the room I have to work with. Everything is 1/4 or 3/16 plate and just tacked in place so the stick welds are not finished, plan to go back over them. Also plan to box in the bottom 45 degree angle part of the cross member but think I will wait until I run the exhaust.... just in case. I build school buses for a living......scary ain't it :D (actually, I just run the tool repair maintenance part of it so your kids are safe LOL :D),

Attachments

• trans crossmember 10-8.jpg
    trans crossmember 10-8.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 96
  • trans crossmember2 10-8.jpg
    trans crossmember2 10-8.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 97
Doubt you will see a cab put on like this on one of those other web sites. :D LOL

Attachments

• 100_0675.jpg
    100_0675.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Pictures do not do it justice. It is about 3 inches higher than ride height and I am going to cut 3 inches off the bottom of the cab due to rust and bondo. Set the cab on so I can fab up some body mounts.

Attachments

• 100_0673.jpg
    100_0673.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_0683.jpg
    100_0683.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_0680.jpg
    100_0680.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0679.jpg
    100_0679.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 114
Well it has been a very very busy year due to my job since before last Christmas. In this day and time though I am not complaining. Mostly just been doing some lurking on RRR. LOL The rest of my mustang ll stuff should be in this week with the coil overs. That will allow me to get correct ride height in the front. Decide to go with the 2” drop spindles. Depending on how things go I may change the rear to a four link…not sure, we will see. The project is still on go, should see some pics soon though, [cl LOL

Latest posts

Back