First timer - 49 Ford Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once it is all done the cab will be mounted to the chassis with four Energy Suspension Polyurethane body mounts. Not sure about the bed yet.

Well, mocked up the front a-arms and coil over’s today to establish “true” ride height in the front so I can get the rear correct. This Mustang ll set up is for a 63 Fairlane designed by Rod and Custom Motorsports but I am using it for the Rat Rod, cause that’s what I had, [;). With the engine and trans in place I loaded up the a-arms and set the center of the 2” drop spindle at 12” for a 24” tire. Looks like the bottom of the cross member, which is on level with the center of the frame, will be 5 ¼”. Shooting for 5”, guess I can live with that, :D. Look out possums!! :eek:

Attachments

• Front end 1.jpg
    Front end 1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Front End 2.jpg
    Front End 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Front End 3.jpg
    Front End 3.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 81
bed mountng

l welded in a 2 X 2 square tube from side to side front and rear in my bed.

then we lined up every thing square off from the cab corners and did the cross tape X'ed corner to corner across the bed. then measured off the frame on all 4 corners, when everything lined up l drilled a hole thru the square tubing, all the way thru the frame and used 4 3/8 grade 8 bolts and lock-nuts on all 4 corners.

been driving her for a while now and it hasn't moved at all.

really liken' the truck:D[cl

good choice with the IFS MII, had that under a roadster l drove and LOVED IT![dr

keep it up, it looks good.

Later:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Skull, this is a friend of mines here. Thinking about something like it when the time comes.

Attachments

• 100_0739.JPG
    100_0739.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 71
Well another busy year, plus I got me a Sweetie last year.[dr She’s a car girl and is tired of people blaming her cause I ain’t working on the truck so I got to get back on it. :eek: Her dad ran a little NASCAR back in the day so she loves being in the garage. Trucks in the garage so it’s just a matter of picking up where I left off, this could take years at this rate. :D :eek: Installed leafs springs and shocks in the rear and put in a fuel tank. Didn’t like how the ride height was turning out and there was little adjustability. So I cut it all back off and am now working on four link brackets. Got my links and QA1’s on the way. Maybe get some pics up this weekend. [;)[P[P

Well my links didnt come in but my QA1's did. :( Finished up my brackets, just need to clean them up some. [;) Links are 25" long. Not much to look at but here it is.

Attachments

• Four Link.jpg
    Four Link.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 35
got me a Sweetie last year.[dr She’s a car girl and is tired of people blaming her cause I ain’t working on the truck

congrats on the sweety!! Always good to have some one who supports your habits/hobbies/addictions/whatever you want to call them!!

Don't sweat it on taking years, I am two years in to mine and I thought it was almost done when I got it.

Nice work on the truck. Wondering about the frame. How much is the rise in the backend and how did you get to that number. What rake did you set the frame at when welding in the front crossmember. Am planing on doing about the samething with a 52 ford cab. Was planing on using chrysler leafs on the rear with a 9" ford. What problems did you run into to change your mind on the leafs? Sorry aim asking all the questions but trying to get some ideas before I start.

Thanks for the kind words Tnn, there are some very smart guys on here though that can build a frame and I aint one of them. :D I will tell you where I went wrong and maybe that will help, it almost made me give up.:eek: When I started on this I had a lot of parts for a 63 Fairlane including the cross member, leaf springs, Cal-Tracs, etc. The rear end was even set up to go under a Fairlane. Because I was trying to make all this work, the rear of the frame had to be wider than the front, that was a problem. The cross member had a 5 degree slant for the Fairlane so that had to be figured in as well. I never could get the ride height and wheel base right with the leafs. They were new and it was tough trying to figure out the body weight ahead of time. If I did this over I would take all the smart guys advise about this and not have done it my way.:D
The very first thing I would have done was know my wheel height and my ride height and then build out of 2x4s (lumber). I would have caught a lot of things early if I had. I was really shooting in the dark by not starting out with those two measurements. I later found out I could have swapped the Fairlane cross member from R&C for one set up just like I needed at no charge, (good people) that would have helped. I would have cut the leaf brackets off the rear and ran my rails parallel front to rear. That way I could have laid them on top of each other to weld. Even if I had still used the leafs it would have been easier to re-weld spring brackets on the axle than make a frame wider in the rear. I went with four links because my buddy has a couple rats he built with four links and they are just so much better at being able to adjust than leafs are. It would have been easier to buy the brackets though. I just wanted to make mine. I did buy new coil over’s that added to the cost. Maybe someone here can help about how to plan your frame when you have leafs, I just couldn’t make it work.[S I will get those measurements you ask for though tonight and post tomorrow. Hope I can be of some help. Welcome and be sure to start a build thread with lots of pics. [P [dr

Last edited:
Thanks, your right there are a lot of talented people on here. I have read so much that I am getting confused. So I guess the best thing to do is like you and just do it. I can always go back and fix my mistakes.

Tnn, if you can cut it you can weld it :D Got my four links in yesterday then realized I forgot to get some bolts. :confused: Hope to tack it all in this weekend and toss out a pic. You will find these guys love some pics to look at [P

Got to get a good pic of the four link but took this one with the phone yesterday. It's my new gas grill :D [dr Got to adjust them some to get below cab and maybe to clear front tire but I think I'm good on the tire :) Going to let the exhaust pipes run out from under the cab in front of the rear wheels.

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 47
  • headers2.jpg
    headers2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 43
Lot of computer problems lately :confused: Anyway... here are a couple shots of the four link tacked in. Axle is at bottom out height on the shocks to make sure the panhard bar clears. Waiting on my panhard bar, same size as four link bars. Working on the coil over mounts now. Measured a million times on the four links :D[P

Attachments

• 100_0806.JPG
    100_0806.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0808.JPG
    100_0808.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0809.JPG
    100_0809.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 39
Gonna cut 3" off bottom of cab. Tossed it on to see what the exhaust needs to do. [P Long way to go [P[dr

Attachments

• 100_0811.JPG
    100_0811.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0814.JPG
    100_0814.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 46
This is a great thread. Despite what you might think, this is teaching guys like me a lot. Thank you for that.

However, my only complaint is that I'm torn on what to do with my '51 F3. Keep it as is, or chop the living snot out of it. :eek:

Thanks Guys! Tough decision Mr. Crown! In the beginning I knew I wanted the chopped and slammed look. However, looking back, since I had a complete truck I think I would have liked just putting the whole thing on an S10 chassis and driving it as is….and then start on another one [dr

Latest posts

Back