Flat head 8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not many pros they just look cool. It's old technology. They are heavy, not very powerful, and expensive to rebuild. But they look cool.

001-11.jpg

All the above are true! The old Tripper just can't live with 150 HP although I do have a flattie V-12!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

When I was growing up in the mid 50's we couldn't pull flatheads out fast enough to replace them with the new OHV V8 Olds, Buick, Cadillac, Chrysler, Studebaker, and then the brand new Chevy V8's. A hopped up flathead is about equal to a stock 283 Chevy motor in performance, for comparison. They are also expensive to build, and the old saying is "You will never spend so much money to go so slow." :D

But, they do look old timey and cool, especially when done like the one in dmw56's coupe and the one Gastrick is going to use in his Tudor. There is just something about seeing one between the rails of a hot rod that makes you stop and stare.

As for gas milage, they were not all that hot back then, but gas was 20 cents a gallon, so it didn't matter.

Don

if you want something that is different, that may make you wanna stop and stare, pick yourself up a 4BT cummins diesel..... they make great power, they can be run quite efficiently, plus they will last forever and a day in a rod. i know a flathead V8 is the epitomy of hot rod along with the HEMI's, and a SBC is way overdone. oh and diesel is typically cheaper than gasoline too [cl
put that in ur pipe and smoke it!! :eek::eek: :D

I guess it depends on what you consider "fuel efficient". I've heard of flatheads getting 20 mpg + in a heavy car. I imagine if you back it up with a transmission with overdrive you’d get good freeway mileage. I drive a 1965 Chevy C-10, and with it's inline 6, I only get 10mpg.

Come on Tripper, it’s not always about HP; you need to think “torque”. A stock 239 ci flathead produced 110hp but a whopping 194 ft lbs of torque. I’m not sure how hp/torque scales up, but you can easily build a 175hp flatty. If it’s a linear scale you would produce over 300 ft lbs of torque. I don’t expect my truck will tip the scales much over 2000 lb. That’s not a power ratio.

I figure what I’m building isn’t practical in the first place, so gas mileage isn’t important. If I were a smart person I’d be putting my money into retirement, but what fun is that.

Build it cool!

Sid

really what this site is all about is rat rodz built on the cheap as they were back in "the day" so if your planning a project use the engine and tranny that you or a friend just have lying in the back 40. be it a old caddy, a nailhead, pontiac, even a old flat head inline 8...... anything can be good on fuel if you keep your foot off the floor [cl :D:D

just build it man!! and lets see the pics [P[P

Henry Ford invented a machine that would boil water....he then realized he could power his automobiles with it.

Seriously though, since the pros and cons have already been covered, I'll just say why I'm using one. I'm trying hard to build my current project car with pre-1950 parts or some facsimile thereof. Plus, I love the sound of a nice running flathead. I'm not so much worried about the lack of horsepower, if I feel the urge for more, I'll just hop in one of my other cars for a while.

I used to have a need for speed, but I'm growing old fast it seems, I have tendons pulled loose on my shoulders, my neck can't take the snapping backwards anymore. So I just want a cool looking rod with a dependable, easy on fuel putter me & my grandson can cruise around in and take a 300 mile run if we want to that doesn't break the bank.

Hey Bill, here is one that is close to what your will be like. Great sounding motors, aren't they? :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzLTo2_59xw&feature=related

Don

OOOHHH, that is sweet music !![cl I'm waiting for the release of the all-aluminum flathead from the company that advertises in StreetRodder, H&H or Motor City Flatheads or something like that - 100 cu. in. larger, they keep taunting us with a pic saying it's not ready yet, so don't ask. It should be fum if it ever comes to market.
I know they are rare, but Lincolns had bigger flathead 8's, over 300 cu.in., though I guess there's zero hop up parts for them out there....

Lincoln Flathead 8s were 337cid. But weighed over 800lbs. There are 2X2 and 3X2 manifolds being made for $$$$$.

Lincoln V12s 305cid were only 120hp. And, there are hop up parts for those but they are really pricey too. You can get aluminum heads, 3 carb intake manifolds from Kearney Foundry in San Jose Ca. http://www.kearneyfoundry.com/
I sold 3 1947 Lincolns with V12s last year.

Latest posts

Back