International L122 B Binder Rat Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
I know there are a lot out there that are COMPLETLY against the IFS, for good reason. If I had a dime for every fenderles rat with IFS that the guy just took the fenders off and left everything in the factory location!
My goal was to make an IFS look as good as I can.
Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone doesn't move things around to make them look half good. Really isn't that hard. No harder then making the rest of the truck look right.

I think that is the key, I don't mind the looks at all of a nicely done IFS, but its gotta be in the right place..and if the spindle centerline is lined up with the 3rd spark plug it's gonna look badly noseheavy

Dd some work on the drivers side today. Got the lower control arm cupped for air bag clearance. Used 8" pipe that has 1/4" wall. Pretty heavy duty!
Also got the drivers side headlight mount built. Left some room to set it up to steer off a bearing later if I get the urge.

Tomorrow the same stuff is going to get done to the passengers side :)

photo-22.jpg

photo-23.jpg

Never mind the crooked headlight and missing brass bolt, those are going in now
photo-27.jpg

photo-26.jpg

The shock mount looks all boogered cause I was in the process of cutting it off then changed my mind. I'll straighten it out and re weld it back on tomorrow.
photo-25.jpg

View from below.
photo-24.jpg

So I swung into one of the many local junk yards today to scope out pedal assemblies and brake master cylinders. Came across this 70's chevy van that was SCREAMING to have parts of it carry on life reincarnated into so.mething else.
I'm new to the brake world so I was assuming you would want a MC setup based off the rough GVRW and brake style of the project, right?
I know this truck will be under 4000 pounds and this van has a GVRW of 4600lbs.

The question is to juice, or not to juice?!
I would prefer to juice but HATE the vacuum booster look! ESPECIALLY on a fenderles!!!

Here's the candidate :)

photo-40.jpg

photo-30.jpg

photo-29.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm sure everyone is really tired of seeing these stupid brackets by now, but I really like them. I finished the last one for the passengers side headlight so this will be the last rant about them :D

photo-41.jpg

And back to the previous post, you guys think I should run boosted brakes or not?

So I'm sure everyone is really tired of seeing these stupid brackets by now, but I really like them. I finished the last one for the passengers side headlight so this will be the last rant about them :D

They came out really nice, you should be proud... rant on! Your build is looking good!

Brackets what brackets[S Oh the ones we have been looking at for two pages LOL. they came out look'n good [cl

Holy crap has it been 2 pages?!:eek:
Okay, moving on.

So next I want to cut and weld on my fish plates to reinforce the frame at the zee's but I have a couple ugly welds. What do I do, grind the welds down flush so the plates sit tight against the frame before welding or leave them alone?
I have heard you don't want to grind welds on structural pieces to keep strength.

The vertical weld in the 1st photo is the worst one.
photo-42.jpg

I guess my biggest concern would be bridging an 1/8" gap. Kinda defeats the whole point of adding plates.
photo-43.jpg

grind them flush. If you have good penetration then it won't matter. And you are ading to the outside as well with the plate.

Got the passengers side air bag setup today. Also, picked up the master cylinder out of the sexy van from above :eek: and installed that too. Once the pedals were installed, I found I felt twisted sitting in the drivers seat [S
Turns out the stock location for the steering wheel wasn't in the right place anymore.
I ended up having to move it over 1", and MAN, what a difference an inch makes!!!That's what she said

Also, just playing around with ideas here, satin black and "brass" paint on the air cleaner.
Dunno if I like it or not.
photo-50.jpg

photo-47.jpg

photo-48.jpg

photo-49.jpg

Look good but now you have to do the valve covers.

Yeah me and my buddy were looking over the whole truck and figuring out where brass accents would look good.
I think the air cleaner cover might be too much, like baybe I should have done it in black, then just the raised parts in brass. Exactly opposite of what it is now.

Valve covers would get the same treatment, then a bunch of other small stuff to carry the theme through the whole truck.

I think If you do the valve covers the same as the air breather you will have a good balance on the brass. If you change it up the other was your going to get in to more bass color and won't be an accent any more.

try revesing the edelbrock area. do the background all in black and just the script in brass. that will tone down the shine factor a bit. Just my $.02

Got the passengers side air bag setup today. Also, picked up the master cylinder out of the sexy van from above :eek: and installed that too. Once the pedals were installed, I found I felt twisted sitting in the drivers seat [S
Turns out the stock location for the steering wheel wasn't in the right place anymore.
I ended up having to move it over 1", and MAN, what a difference an inch makes!!!That's what she said

Also, just playing around with ideas here, satin black and "brass" paint on the air cleaner.
Dunno if I like it or not.
photo-50.jpg

photo-47.jpg

photo-48.jpg

photo-49.jpg

I deffinitely like the look of the bigger air cleaner, gives it a meaner look than the little 2in air cleaner lol. As you sait the inches make the difference. I also agree on matchingt he valve covers with the air cleaner. Seems to me it would tie it all up better. Now what about the blue block? Lol, it all looks great! Thanks for the thread link!
-Zach

I deffinitely like the look of the bigger air cleaner, gives it a meaner look than the little 2in air cleaner lol. As you sait the inches make the difference. I also agree on matchingt he valve covers with the air cleaner. Seems to me it would tie it all up better. Now what about the blue block? Lol, it all looks great! Thanks for the thread link!
-Zach

Welcome zack! Nice to see you made it over here! You found the best site on the planet for picking brains on this kinda stuff.
If you read through my whole entire thread, I applaud you [cl that's a lotta reading!

I'm still up in the air on the air cleaner. I'll probably finish building the other one and if I don't like it then, ill take it off.

Now it's time to setup the braked and fuel lines. So I won't have many fun photos, but I'll continue to update.

Latest posts

Back