Jfg455 Road to Bonneville 2013

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
So, as usual, I start this thread not from the beginning but 4 days into it or 1/2 way through. Must be the A.D.D. Again... So long story short I have been all over the USA and even driven passed Bonneville but have never been to speed week. So some now I talked my lovely wife into letting me road trip out there for our 10th anniversary. The plan was for me to finish my 1950 GMC to take out there because 1: you have to take a hot rod to Bonneville and 2: the truck has gone across country 3 times (2 times with my father getting MG's and once to move our family from CA to NH. Well as you may have seen from my build thread that just didn't happen. That brings us to today which is day 4 of our trip and the first post.

We get all packed, call the rental car company, only to find our car is ready for us in Concord CA not Concord NH! Scramble around, curse a bit and finally pick up our car for the next 2 weeks later that

ResizedImage_1375963566204.jpg
[/URL]

Well it isn't a Chevy but it will do. At least it is American mostly and you can't argue with these numbers.

ResizedImage_1376075935253.jpg
[/URL]

We stopped in Cleveland the first night. Not a bad hotel. Our GPS took us out through a run down section of the city. Sad to see 3 out of 5 houses boarded up. Then we stopped in Granite City IL at a KOA camp ground. All the other KOA's we have stayed at were excellent. This one not so much! It was behind a fertilizer company and a trailer junk yard. Dotty and moldy too! It's is me fishing the raccoon out of the dumpster

image-1.jpg
[/URL]

Then we stopped the next morning just south of St. Louis MO to see Falconvan and his build. My wife and I had such a good time with he and his wife that I totally forgot to take any pics of his build! Great people and a great asset to the RRR and to hot rodding. And don't let his calm demeanor fool you. Pat has some hidden building talents! Nice work on both of the coupes Pat.

Then came the 11.5 hours of nothing to do but let the legs on the rental run! We are talking Kansas here. Flat with nothing to do. We did see a line of rats, about 5 of them, stopped on rt. 55 N. we were 3 lanes left doing 90mph so didn't get the camera deployed quick enough.

ResizedImage_1376180934366.jpg
[/URL]

We did see this guy running on I70 in MO though

image.jpg
[/URL]

So we got into Denver around 10pm (mt time), dropped into our KOA cabin in Strausburg CO and fell asleep. Seems there is a freight train that comes through there at 6:30 am! Lol so we get up (this campsite was very clean and well run), shower and hit the only gas station in town. I am pumping gas, nowhere near my camera when a 57 Chevy cruises through. Then a 69 Couger, 69 camaro, 67 Chevelle, and a 67 GT 350 mustang on a flat bed that had Independant rear suspension and side pipes built into the body work! Then they were all gone by the time I grabbed my phone. So back into the car and headed north. Caught these 2 cars on the road. Beetle in CO on rt. 25 N . What is the irony of a younger couple in a 2013 Mustang convertible passing an older couple in a 1965 Mustang convertible?

ResizedImage_1376245061756.jpg
[/URL]

ResizedImage_1376245803403.jpg
[/URL]

Forgot this one. For a dollar, some where in IL, you can put a token in the dragon and it will shoot fire out of its mouth! Lol And it is right next to the liquor store with a drive up window!:eek:

image-2.jpg
[/URL]

ResizedImage_1376093689112.jpg
[/URL]

Not much to do in WY either unless you really like to stretch you r legs so to speak. Watch for those pesky cops hiding in the weeds as you come over the knoll running 120+... "Oh. You are on the job? Have a safe trip and try to keep it in the double digits." (Wife smacks me "Really??") lol. Then we are into Utah where the scenery is wild, beautiful and desolate all at the same time.

ResizedImage_1376242408976.jpg
[/URL]

ResizedImage_1376242386728.jpg

ResizedImage_1376247596082.jpg
[/URL]

image-5.jpg
[/URL]

image-4.jpg
[/URL]

GJunctionMike - we are swinging through Fruita way on the 13th. Hoping to hit Boneheads shop on the way through. If you are going to be around during the day PM me your address and we will try to stop in. Going to try to hit JMlColorado near Denver the next day too.

Tomorrow we will be on the salt all day. Hope to catch up with Cornfield Customs out there and any other RRR member. Just look for a red stang drop top with MA plates or a crew cut red head with flame tattoos. I will have my camera with me there though!

Last edited:
So we made it here. I am just posting a couple of teasers as I am beat and burnt. Had a blast on the salt. Met some cool people. I will add more pics tomorrow when we hit Denver

image-21.jpg
[/URL]

image-22.jpg

image-33.jpg
[/URL]

image-36.jpg
[/URL]

my brother and his boss are there running a 80" flat head bobber, i think the best run so for is 155, more then likely the new record. their bike was in impound for inspection and they should get it back today. they also have a vette there. the bike number is #3358. do me a favor, it you see any lsr 60 t0 66 chevy trucks, please snap a few shots for me. y'all have fun and be safe.

Well after swinging by Boneheads shop (awesome stop! More on that later) we are stuck just south of the Eisenhower tunnel on I70. This what we see.

26T - here is a teaser...not an LSR but I have another I will post later in the salt section

Attachments

• IMG_20130813_162003_992.jpg
    IMG_20130813_162003_992.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20130812_124607_315.jpg
    IMG_20130812_124607_315.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 30
No worries Jeff. You have a little slice of heaven there on top of your Mesa. Thanks for having me.

These first couple of pictures are of a coupe and older gentleman and his son were running. Wound up shooting the breeze with them regarding traction issues at 150 mph. I did tell them this was the first time on the salt for me but they seemed interested in what I thought the issue was.

image-48.jpg
[/URL]

image-46.jpg
[/URL

image-45.jpg
[/URL]

These are just some cool cars I found. There was something for every taste from streamlines, bikes, even a Saab Sonnet running the nastiest sounding 2 stroke I have ever heard

image-44.jpg
[/URL]

image-43.jpg
[/URL]

image-42.jpg
[/URL]

image-39.jpg

image-38.jpg
[/URL]

Latest posts

Back