Little different fenderless 53 pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a few more nice pics...

Me trying to figure out what to do next...lol!
l_958ba1d4451d457286d894d1b191fd04.jpg

l_0e201e0079f14e5391bd33d130174801.jpg

Yup ive had many nights just standin there lookin at mine tryin to thing of where to go. So many things to get done yet. Killer build though

Looking great!

I like the idea of mounting a rack to the axle, that is what I was thinking I would do if/when I build a fenderless ride. It should be much tighter than the traditional steering setup on straight axle setups. Plus it avoids bump steer that could be created with a rack mounted on the frame.

One thing I am concerned about though is welding the mild steel stuff to the cast iron axle. Are you using a high nickle rod on those welds? Some of the old timers on here can probably tell us what is best to use but I was thinking you have to use a certain rod on cast iron.[S

Well Bro your killin me with all o f the owrk your getting done on the ride. It is like -6 degrees outside and I spent all my warm day time working on the truck. Which means I didn't allow time to get the wood stove built, hmmmm maybe I should start a build thread for my wood stove.

Naahhh, I'll just get it done quick so I can catch up with what your getting done. By the way!! That is some awesome metal work, looks really good......

Keep it up Bro it's L@@KIN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking great!

I like the idea of mounting a rack to the axle, that is what I was thinking I would do if/when I build a fenderless ride. It should be much tighter than the traditional steering setup on straight axle setups. Plus it avoids bump steer that could be created with a rack mounted on the frame.

One thing I am concerned about though is welding the mild steel stuff to the cast iron axle. Are you using a high nickle rod on those welds? Some of the old timers on here can probably tell us what is best to use but I was thinking you have to use a certain rod on cast iron.[S

That is a very true staement 62chevyII!! But the difference is that the axles we are using are cast steel and not cast iron. Cast steel you can mig weld or tig weld on as DONUTS1 has done, And on Cast iron you have to use the nickel rod.

That is a very true staement 62chevyII!! But the difference is that the axles we are using are cast steel and not cast iron. Cast steel you can mig weld or tig weld on as DONUTS1 has done, And on Cast iron you have to use the nickel rod.

That is good to know! I have the axle from my 48 sitting around for that "future" project.[;)

Innovation!

Great truck! I just got through putting a Mll front end on my uncles 53 truck. I really like the front end set up. I was wondering what kind of spring you will use on the front end? Is the upper control arm connected to the motor mount? I'm having trouble making it out. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Oh I found that you are gonna have the coil over and push rod for spring up front--- nice!

Ya'll are great around here! Really keeps me motivated! I'll be heading out of town this weekend, so no progress until next week....:(

Looking great!

Bowatjr6969 was right about the cast steel stuff, but I also have everything bolted together just in case there might be a weld failure. Kind of a double safety thing. I am preheating the axle then mig welding it and it seems to weld really nice so far.

Well Bro your killin me with all o f the owrk your getting done on the ride. It is like -6 degrees outside and I spent all my warm day time working on the truck. Which means I didn't allow time to get the wood stove built, hmmmm maybe I should start a build thread for my wood stove.

Naahhh, I'll just get it done quick so I can catch up with what your getting done. By the way!! That is some awesome metal work, looks really good......

Keep it up Bro it's L@@KIN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!! I've been running thru alot of diesel in my shop heater! This cold stuff ain't for me...lol! When I get bak from my trip it's on again!!!

Great truck! I just got through putting a Mll front end on my uncles 53 truck. I really like the front end set up. I was wondering what kind of spring you will use on the front end? Is the upper control arm connected to the motor mount? I'm having trouble making it out. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Oh I found that you are gonna have the coil over and push rod for spring up front--- nice!

Thanks!!! I'll be running strange double adjustable coilovers with a 225lbs spring to start with. Prolly going to have to play with spring rates to get it exactly where I want it. The control arm is mounted to the motor mount, but it will receive lots of bracing before it hits the road.

Awsome truck...

Awsome build...

I will be looking for updates next week.

Side note: That other site probably gave you the boot because you documented using "BILLET"....Never the less, you see how much sleep we loose over here because of them..:D

Keep driving on with your build.

Well, I said I wouldn't have any progress this weekend, but we got back from our trip in time to head out in the shop for just a little bit. Started working on the rocker assembly this evening....

Started with a piece of 2" solid stock steel....

l_b7f850e353c944a48c810cf8626db4dd.jpg

After I machined it and pressed the bearing race in...

l_4a0455c3c09746ad9da6ac2b0921ffac.jpg

And with the bearing in and the thru bolt...

l_bd92a03ea5f94b8da893df1c182bdb5c.jpg

And the assembly together...

l_edae47c3580f43e08a1f39c248ee055d.jpg

Still lots more to do on it, but it's a start!

We need to know more !!! More updates needed !!!

Well, been kinda a crazy week. Not much time to work on the rod, but did get a couple of parts ordered. Nothing too cool though. Hopefully I can get a little work done this weekend. Will definitely post updates as they are made!

Glad to see this project over here, was following it over on you know the 'other' rat site and then it disappeared. I noted just the other day that a post I know I replied to was gone, so I erased the URL for that site out of my browser and I'm done over there. Much nicer here. (And if mister Ban Happy over on the 'other' site has any spies here (long story but he banned someone who said something on another site), you can ban me, could care less, but one final word on the 'other site' KMA you loser!).
Great looking stuff man, keep it up I'll be watching this with interest. [P

Regards,

Rev. D.

Was busy most of the weekend with some other things, but managed to get a little mock up work done on the rocker system...

l_f124d2d1f6ae49bc8e3d08764e4cd9ac.jpg

l_3fc32118adee4c599ba7bd870568d961.jpg

l_9bc02918508e4ff3a81d157d19bedf68.jpg

Cool build.

I always thought front axles were drop forged, not cast. I know Henry's were forged, did the process change later? if they are forged, welding is not problem, although a preheat would be a good idea.

Back