miles to a quart of oil...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
since we are on the subject of milage, how many miles before ya have to put in a oil. do ya get a lot or a little?

the dodge is a 'bout every 1OO miles or so.

l had a 1975 vega wagon , stock motor, that was every 25-35 miles it would need a quart or more of oil, but it got 30+ miles to a gallon of fuel. stop and buy a case of oil every two weeks.

l figured it got 20 miles to quart :eek:

Later:cool:

Last edited:
your vega sounds like the 78 ford with a 300-6 my dad use to have he said once it hit 400,000 miles you would fill it with oil and check the gas :D

my bronco with a 300-6 it seems like you have add a quart of oil every thrid or fourth trip up and down the mountain (about 40 miles or so)

Since I only have about 5 miles on my motor I can't give you any real world info.

However, the original manual for the motor states. Fill with 6 quarts of good oil. Engine will use one quart every 500 miles. Add 3 quarts at 1500 miles.

I was paraphrasing but you get the idea. It was actually made to use oil, strange huh? I think it has to do with the original seals, they are very strange.

The dipstick is graduated in quarts, shows 6, then 5 then 4 then has the refill line.

1938 Pontiac flathead 6

I've never had a car that used oil between oil changes, but I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles. I once had a Chevy that used oil until I switched to Valvoline Racing. That stopped the consumption.

This really did happen

Have not had to add a drop in 500 miles. But my cousin about 25 year ago had a old ford wagon she would drive about 50 miles and have to add a quart of oil. This when on for a while till one day the car started smoking and running real bad. There was oil all over the engine compartment. She call her dad to come take a look. When he got there and and checked it out he asked her if she had been checking the oil. She said she would check and it would need a quart. So she added a quart and would check it again in two days and it would read a quart low again, so she added a quart. So He asked her to show him how she was checking the oil, So she reached in and grabed to dipstick to the auto trans tube and pulled it out and said "see it's still a quart low".

Well... My rat ain't finished yet. However, I got a 2008 Dodge 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. I haven't changed the oil in that for over 35k miles. I pull a sample every 4k or so and have it analyzed. As long as it's still within acceptable limits, I just spin a new filter on it every other sample and top 'er off! The International 4300 shop truck has been getting the same treatment for the last 300k miles and is going strong with 62k on it's current oil!

Gotta love that Mobil Delvac! [cl

Latest posts

Back