My '36 ford truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumminsfabshop

Hi all. I'm Josh, I'm 19,
This is the first build I've ever done, so I am learning as I go along. As always, I look forward to input from everyone, and also welcome some constructive criticism.

I acquired a 1936 ford truck cab for free from a local farmer, and I've got big plans for it, the cab overall is in pretty decent shape, almost no rust, and every panel is straight except for the roof.

The dash is even complete!

I guess you could say I am a diesel addict, I am fascinated with them, and love fixing and building them... So of course this rod is getting one.
I will be building the frame from scratch and I will fabricate anything I am able to to save money and, well, because I can... I like being able to show off my work and when people ask where I bought something I can say I built it.

Progress Well probably be slow because of limited cash flow, and the fact that I'm a full time student going to Wyo Tech up in laramie, and I'm building it 100% by my self.

Here goes nothin!

First off, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have some good plans for the truck. I too am a huge fan of diesel power (Cummins) so I'll be watching this build very closely. Judging by your screen name I'm guessing you might be using a Cummins to power this old girl? If so could we get some details on the motor and Trans. Good luck.

-Chris

Welcome! And cool cab and idea. I WILL have a 35-37 ford cab some day. The way the cab sweeps at the bottom when sitting right just makes it look fast and have that natural rake.
th

First off, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have some good plans for the truck. I too am a huge fan of diesel power (Cummins) so I'll be watching this build very closely. Judging by your screen name I'm guessing you might be using a Cummins to power this old girl? If so could we get some details on the motor and Trans. Good luck.

-Chris

Well you are correct in guessing. I am headed back to Colorado this weekend
to pick up the engine. It is getting a '93 12 valve that I will be a mild build on, I don't want to throw too much into the engine until i know everything else is going to work out, I am still on the hunt for a trans, but I am looking for a getrag 360 or nv 4500 5 speed

Nice looking project
Thankyou!
Welcome from New Mexico.
nice to start with a solid old cab.
Good luck with it.
I am super happy that I was offered the deal that I was on this cab, I have been eyeing it since I was little.
Nice cab to start with! I'm interested to follow this build as well!
Thanks!
Welcome! And cool cab and idea. I WILL have a 35-37 ford cab some day. The way the cab sweeps at the bottom when sitting right just makes it look fast and have that natural rake.
th
I am a Chevy and Dodge guy, but i got the deal of a lifetime on it, They are definitely my favorite body style!

Well you are correct in guessing. I am headed back to Colorado this weekend
to pick up the engine. It is getting a '93 12 valve that I will be a mild build on, I don't want to throw too much into the engine until i know everything else is going to work out, I am still on the hunt for a trans, but I am looking for a getrag 360 or nv 4500 5 speed QUOTE]

Sounds like a good plan. I have a 92 12 valve with a Getrag G360. I was going to run the G360 behind my 4bt thats going into my 52 dodge but due to starter placement it didnt work out. Id say depending on what kind of mods you plan on doing to the engine the G360 should be fine. I know that some guys encountered problems when towing and that theyre not as bullet proof as the NV 4500. Ive heard that overfilling the gear case by a certain amount (cant remember how much) helps them live a lot longer and happier. If you plan on bigger power i would up grade to the NV 4500 as they have a good reputation for being real stout. Thats just my 2 cents. Once again good luck and i'll be watching.

-Chris

Sounds like a good plan. I have a 92 12 valve with a Getrag G360. I was going to run the G360 behind my 4bt thats going into my 52 dodge but due to starter placement it didnt work out. Id say depending on what kind of mods you plan on doing to the engine the G360 should be fine. I know that some guys encountered problems when towing and that theyre not as bullet proof as the NV 4500. Ive heard that overfilling the gear case by a certain amount (cant remember how much) helps them live a lot longer and happier. If you plan on bigger power i would up grade to the NV 4500 as they have a good reputation for being real stout. Thats just my 2 cents. Once again good luck and i'll be watching.

-Chris
Thanks!
I think I want to use the getrag for more simplicity, and I shouldn't have to many problems with it since my ford will weigh less than half what a full size dodge does, and I plan to keep it under 300 horse For now.
I have learned a few tricks with them also, such as over filing which you mentioned, and a few others I will write about when (if) I find one.

Good luck bud and don't worry, we are patient folk. No need to rush, take your time and do it right the first time!

Thanks! I really can't afford to do it over, so doing it right is about the only potion even if it takes twice as long.

Thanks!
I think I want to use the getrag for more simplicity, and I shouldn't have to many problems with it since my ford will weigh less than half what a full size dodge does, and I plan to keep it under 300 horse For now.
I have learned a few tricks with them also, such as over filing which you mentioned, and a few others I will write about when (if).

No problem. I think with 300 hp you'll be real happy with how that thing will drive. It'll be fun as all hell with all that torque, get ready to spend some money on tires :D. I bet in stock form the 160 hp and 400 ft-lb would make the truck real fun too, like you said the trucks going to be light.

The way I found my 12 valve and G360 was that I bought a running truck that was in pretty sad shape except for the motor and Trans. I ended up paying A little bit more up front for the entire truck but once parted out I could make my money back easily. The first gen cummins trucks can be had for a fair price. It's the second gen trucks that seem to be very expensive lately. I think it's cause guys are lookin for the 12 valves with P7100 injection pumps to turn into big HP rigs.

-Chris

I got a shipment of parts in over the weekend, I got a steering and brake kit from speedway, and a Vega steering box.
I built the axle in the shop at school, it is patterned after a 4 inch drop from speedway but I couldn't bring myself to spend the $269 they wanted for one. I wasn't able to take pictures of building it, but it is 2 inch. 250 wall DOM tubing I bent in the hand bender. I have about $65 in materials, that $200 I saved will be very helpful somewhere else.
Here are some pictures of putting it together in my storage unit since I don't have a place to work up here. It got to cold to finish, I will finish assembly one night this week.

I also got my wheels and tires in today, pictures of those to come when they are mounted.

In the mean time I have been working diligently on the frame. After two days of working in class I have one frame rail cut and tacked together. Tomorrow I will cut the second side and track it together and start welding them up if I have time. The rails are 2x4 .188 wall rec tubing which is 3/16 wall. There's also 3/16 backing plates at all the miter cuts. I will try to take pictures tomorrow after class.

Last edited:
Looks like you are moving along nicely. Do you go to school for welding/metal fab?

-Chris
Thank you!
I started at WyoTech in the diesel program and I am currently in chassis fabrication which is welding and custom fabrication. I did alot of welding and fab work back home on our farm so I had some experience but not too the extent I do now. It is very fast paced, this class is only 3 months and teaches you the basics of almost anything you want to know about metal work.
Well, I'm pretty impressed so far and sounds like you have a good plan goin too. I'll be following along!

Thank you!
I can't wait to get the frame done and hang suspension and get it on the ground

Thank you!
I started at WyoTech in the diesel program and I am currently in chassis fabrication which is welding and custom fabrication. I did alot of welding and fab work back home on our farm so I had some experience but not too the extent I do now. It is very fast paced, this class is only 3 months and teaches you the basics of almost anything you want to know about metal work.

Thats awesome man, good for you. Im sure the chassis will turn out great then. Do they let you work on the truck at school? It'd be cool if they counted your project towards some sort of class credits.

-Chris

Sweet build! I love the idea of a diesel. I considered it for my build, but decided I'm not smart enough. Great job on that front axle!

BTW, I'm in central CO.

[P

Latest posts

Back