My '36 ford truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats awesome man, good for you. Im sure the chassis will turn out great then. Do they let you work on the truck at school? It'd be cool if they counted your project towards some sort of class credits.

-Chris
Thanks!
That is exactly what happens, once lecture is done we go out in the shop and complete the comps, which is just the required work that teaches us what we need to know. If we finish all of the required work then we get to work on our own projects as long as they pertain to what we learned in class. We get graded based on the project and how much work it requires, the grades are at the instructors discretion based on the work done and craftsmanship on the project. We need 15 points to pass, mine had 15 just in the designing and cutting stages. Most kids build bumpers and simple projects and I chose to challenge myself and build a 100% custom rat!
Sweet build! I love the idea of a diesel. I considered it for my build, but decided I'm not smart enough. Great job on that front axle!

BTW, I'm in central CO.

[P
Thanks!
Personally I think diesels are easier than gas engines, but that's mainly what I have been around.
The axle was my first time working with tubing, other than the roll cage we had to bend and weld for our class grade, and I am extremely happy with it, proud to say I built it at least!
central, Colorado as in Central City, or where abouts exactly, I have lived in Sterling all my life other than going to school up here

Thanks!
That is exactly what happens, once lecture is done we go out in the shop and complete the comps, which is just the required work that teaches us what we need to know. If we finish all of the required work then we get to work on our own projects as long as they pertain to what we learned in class. We get graded based on the project and how much work it requires, the grades are at the instructors discretion based on the work done and craftsmanship on the project. We need 15 points to pass, mine had 15 just in the designing and cutting stages. Most kids build bumpers and simple projects and I chose to challenge myself and build a 100% custom rat!

Wow you are really showing up the other kids in class. This things gunna be sweet. Plus you must have access to some pretty awesome tools at school. Challenging yourself is the best way to learn and grow, good for you.

-Chris

I've been really busy lately guys, haven't had any time to post on the forum.
I was able to get the frame basically complete aside from cutting the front to the final length and adding some cross members. Tires are mounted to the wheels and the rear axle is tacked in place and ready for suspension and the front will be tacked up soon, time to start in a little body work for a change of pace.

Here are some pictures, some of the front axle may have already been posted, but its alright.

I am ready to get back to work on it and start posting some more progress.

The frame on the bench with the cab on it for thee first time!

Stuffed in the storage for a little while.

Couldn't resist seeing what the axle would look like under it!

From the top of the cab.

My favorite view of the beast. Feels like it is really starting to come together but it is a long way from the finish line.

Great looking workmanship.
That's a heck of a Z'd frame. What kind of ground clearence do you plan on having?
Keep up the good work.
Torchie.

Great looking workmanship.
That's a heck of a Z'd frame. What kind of ground clearence do you plan on having?
Keep up the good work.
Torchie.

Thanks!
It will be getting a set of shockwave air bags from Ridetech. With the air bags empty it will be about 1 inch from the bottom of the frame rails to the ground, ride height will be 5-6 inches.

Very cool man, looks great. I had been wondering what was going on with this build. Those frame rails look like they're made of 1/4" thick material? Should be plenty stout for the 6bt.

-Chris

Thanks, life just got busy and time slipped by over the winter,
the frame is 3/16 and will have a fairly stout X member to add more strength, it should be enough I hope.

I was able to spend a couple hours roughing out the huge dents in the roof, I am pleased with how it is going so far.
I was also able to get the doors open for the first time also.
More metal work happening tomorrow I hope!

Cab roof is looking good.
One word of usolicited advice. Get that roof as straight as you can before you chop it. Otherwise it will come back to haunt you.(That is if you are chopping it and they haven't already told you this in school:) )
Great job. Keep going...
Torchie.

It never hurts to have a reminder! I'm not sure if I will chop it or not, I want to get the bed built, engine in, and suspension finished before I make a decision.

Thanks for the advice!
I'm just learning so everything helps, I can only learn so much in school!

If I ever do another bubble roof, I will make a jig the shape of the roof and tack it about 3/4" away from where I plan the cut, then make the cut and flange the roof with a panel flange tool. These bubble roofs are a pita when you cut them they tend to try to curve more...

I started building a bed today, So far I have a plan and have the pieces cut and laid out.

It will be built out of 18 ga. steel

Here is my progress from today:

Everything came out of my head for this project, Here is what it looks like in my brain. Only one measurement changed from my plan so it would fit on a 4' wide sheet

I started with a cardboard template so I could change my mind until it fit the pickup

Laying out the bend lines

Practice bend template

Measuring and marking out the axle cutout

Next is marking out for the 1/8' step bead I am going to roll in it

Matching left side

Last edited:

Both sides together

Using cleco clamp fasteners to hold stiffeners on to help when I run it through the planishing hammer to pre-stretch, and then to help when I Roll the step bead in it

Last edited:
Thats going to look really good. Good idea on the pre-stretch before running those beads. Cant wait to see it with the beads.

-Chris

Well today was a productive day, I was able to pre-stretch both panels and get the beads rolled. I ended up using the power hammer to do the stretching instead of the planishing hammer because it is easier to control and worked a lot faster. All I need to do is some finish work to fix a few spots in the bead with a hammer and dolly.

I stretched all of the straight lines first and once both panels were stretched on the straight lines I worked on the corners and axle clearances.

Here is the Power hammer with the highest crown die the school has to stretch a small area quickly.

Stretching the corners and the wheel opening area

Instructor photobomb!

That's me

This is the back side of the bead, after the stretch the panels came out almost perfectly flat. All I need to do is clean up some of the lines with a hammer and dolly.

I ran out of time for the day, tomorrow I will post more pictures of the outside and the finished bead after I clean it up. I hope to get the top 45* bend and the bottom 90* bend done and then cut out the axle opening.

Back