My '36 ford truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bead pattern makes for a nice detail on your self-made bed. Things like that will make your truck standout from the others.
Also cool to see some of the other projects going on at your school in the background of your pictures.
Keep at it.[P
Torchie.

Thanks! I wanted to make it for the cab and also have it be somewhat period correct but also completely unique.

In the shop currently is a 1973 Honda cb360 bike, international scout, 1952 Chevy 4 door car, 1953 3 Window Chevy, 31 Chevy coupe, two 76 Chevy pickups, 1938 Pontiac coupe with a blown alcohol 396, an old woody Wagon, and of course the '36 is tucked in there too. There is a lot going on and everything is getting something different.

Well guys, I didn't do much today, but I did get the beads finished and cut out for the axle and I bent the 90* bend on the bottom and the 45* bend on the top. I also started using the shrinker/stretcher to build some pieces to weld behind where I cut out to ad some strength.

The top of the bead, Its not perfect but it will work for me!

Drilled some holes to use the circle burner in the plasma cutter

A circle burner and a straight edge makes cuts that don't even need to be cleaned up

Stretcher

Last edited:
thats sweet you have access to all that kickass equipment[dr[cl:D

This shop has everything!!

Metal work room!

Bending/shearing area

Hand tool room

There is so much I cant fit into pictures. There are three more large rooms full of tools and power equipment. This experience at the school is absolutely awesome!

I made these pieces today with the stretcher, It took a while so that they didn't crack but they turned out great. I trimmed them to fit the bend contour on the back side and then tack welded the corner temporarily. I then got to use the spot welder to weld them on. I will finish welding the corners up and metal finish tomorrow.

Before trimming to fit

If you have never used a shrinker/stretcher, they are sweet little tools, a must have for any shop in my opinion

Trimming to fit on the back of the panel

This is the contour to fit the bend at the bottom

Fit is good on both panels

I also got to use the spot welder, what a cool tool to use!
I was originally going to drill holes and use the mig welder to plug weld but I was concerned about heat warpage. I saw the spot welder stuffed in the corner so I dug it out and put it to work.

Last edited:
I started building the front of my bed on Friday, but I had a "Whoops, OH ****" and ended up having to head to the ER. I took it easy Monday and Tuesday so that I wouldn't stress my wound (doctors orders).

I got stitches out today so I got back to work, I finished up the front and started on the back.

I am still not entirely sure how this happened but I bet down to pick up an air hose and when I stood up I cut myself on a piece of sheet metal that was on the table.

The cut was 2" long and cut all the way to the bone.
I ended up with 10 stitches.

After the stitches came out, It is healing up pretty quickly just 5 days later.

All good builds need some blood, sweat, and tears right?

Back to the build!

I ordered the stake pockets from Macs Antique Auto Parts because they were cheaper than I could build them.
Here are the back two, the front two haven't showed up yet.

The front of the bed is also 18Ga. sheet metal, and I rolled three 1" round beads in it to stiffen it up a little bit. I rolled the beads all the way off the end to minimize distorting the panel so I used the torch and a hammer and dolly to shrink and shape the ends to what I wanted.

I folded a 1" flange around the sides and bottom to weld to and stiffen the panel more.

A close up of the bead.

Here is a little mock-up teaser. This was the first time I saw the bed where it is going to sit, mainly because I knew if I had the opportunity to change it, I would, so I did not let myself do a mock-up until the point of no return.

I just need the front stake pockets and to finish up a tail pan, weld everything up, and then build a tailgate and this little bed project will be complete.

Last edited:
Looking great . Is that your final wheel base or is that yet to be decided? Glad to see you healed up ok. be glad it was back there and not your face or an eye.

Glad you were ok, thats a little too close for comfort on the neck there...

Man oh man I wish I had the room for all that equipment!
Build is looking great!

Thanks guys!

Looking great . Is that your final wheel base or is that yet to be decided? Glad to see you healed up ok. be glad it was back there and not your face or an eye.

This is not the final wheel base as of now, The rear axle is staying where it is, but the front is just tacked in place for now so that I can wheel it around the shop, but I think its close just as a guess until I get the engine in. I am also glad the injury didn't turn out worse that it did.

Glad you were ok, thats a little too close for comfort on the neck there...

Man oh man I wish I had the room for all that equipment!
Build is looking great!

Thanks,
I have had closer calls so this one didn't bother me too much. I guess I must be a bad luck magnet (more broken bones than I can count, over 100 stitches in my lifetime, Two time cancer survivor... the list goes on) and I'm not even 20 yet.

As far as the shop, It is quite the place and there are three identical shops in this building for the three different street rod and custom fabrication classes. I would love to own one like this some day.

nice work! and only 5 days to heal? you wolverine or something?

I attribute my fast healing to being young and too stubborn to give up on anything, but being Wolverine would be awesome. I try not to let injuries or illness get me down!

Today was a slow day in the shop, I ended up helping hang and allign doors on a 51 chevy car so that cut into my build time, but I did get a little bit done.
The front stake pockets came in last night so I was able to work on them today also.
I drilled a bunch of holes for spot welds and got everything squared and clamped, ready to weld up in the morning. Then I have to figure out a way to mount the bed to the frame.

This is what the front pockets look like, I wish they came pre-drilled but they didn't.

A couple pictures of the back ones clamped up.

Overall I am happy with the quality of the stake pockets, I definitely couldn't have made them for what I paid. I only had to drill the holes for the plug welds, and also re bend the top flange because they didn't fit at all, but that was only a few minutes worth of work so I cant complain too much.

I made some progress last Friday, First off, I welded the stake pockets to the sides of the bed, then I clamped the back piece in and the front piece on and squared everything up, then I welded everything up. All I have left to do is cut and weld the tubing to the top of the bed and figure out a tailgate. The bed is basically complete, now to figure out a unique way to mount it.

There was only about a million plug welds

Latest posts

Back