My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giddy up... GO!!!

Well, moving took it's toll on my body, sanity & my PU's build. Gastrick has been on me about just gittin' 'er done so I decided... today was the day. One of the main reasons I moved was the extra garage space & an air conditioned shop. I got the cab off the frame & got it in the shop this morning. I'll b workin' on the channel, chop & I'm gonna install a modern firewall for a V-8. I also threw in a shot of how rust free the cowl vent is! Still don't have the shop set up properly but I'll git 'er done shortly... now if I can just find my Sawzall!!! ; - >

BoB

Attachments

• cab1.jpg
    cab1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 193
  • caback.jpg
    caback.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 172
  • firewall.jpg
    firewall.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 165
  • cowlvent.jpg
    cowlvent.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 143
Did i hear you right Air conditioned shop Do you have room for another project and a fat man:D Looking Great Tripper !!!

air conditioned shop! did you mention something about the truck, i couldn't hear you because i'm still focusing on the air conditioned shop part......:p

Did i hear you right Air conditioned shop Do you have room for another project and a fat man:D Looking Great Tripper !!!

Tiny,
Not sure there'd b room for 2 fat men in there!!! ; - >

air conditioned shop! did you mention something about the truck, i couldn't hear you because i'm still focusing on the air conditioned shop part......:p

Joe,
No kiddin'... a/c!!! It's nearly 100 here today & nearing 100% humidity too! Once I wrestled the cab in... it shore felt good!!!!!!!!!! Mite even get some real work done now!

BoB

I'm new and working on my first build ('37 ford PU). I really like your progress pics there. What size and kind of tubing did you use to brace the cab?... and I assume you just mount your floors to those braces?

Tubing

I'm new and working on my first build ('37 ford PU). I really like your progress pics there. What size and kind of tubing did you use to brace the cab?... and I assume you just mount your floors to those braces?

Kelsey,
That is 1"x1" tubing I bought @ my local steel store. The picture of the bracing is deceptive as the bracing on the bottom is about 12" above the floor so I would have room to work. I am going to channel it 4" in the back & 5" in the front. I will b choppin it 4" in the back & 5" in the front as well. Once I redo the rear reveal & make body mounts, I'll put it back on the frame (after top chop too), drop in a mock motor & tranny & then redo the tubing for the flooring. I'll fully document all this as I go along.

BoB

Thanks Tripper,

I will be following attentively. I am working on a 37 Ford PU for my first project ever... So your build is quite similar. So to understand correctly, all the tubing in there right now is only temporary (for bracing). Then you'll mock up motor and transmission to get exact measurements for flooring and weld the final tubing in. Is this correct? How tall are you? Are you going to mount the seats directly to the floor? I'm only asking cause I want to chop AND channel, but it seems like I'll be running short of space... I'm only 6' tall though so it should work alright... it seems this is a pretty common chop and channel.

Chop & channel!

Thanks Tripper,

I will be following attentively. I am working on a 37 Ford PU for my first project ever... So your build is quite similar. So to understand correctly, all the tubing in there right now is only temporary (for bracing). Then you'll mock up motor and transmission to get exact measurements for flooring and weld the final tubing in. Is this correct?

Kelsey,
Yes, that is correct. I am working on body mounts in near the original positions. After teh chop, I'll mount it back up to the frame & proceed to make the new floor bracing with motor & tranny in place.

How tall are you? Are you going to mount the seats directly to the floor? I'm only asking cause I want to chop AND channel, but it seems like I'll be running short of space... I'm only 6' tall though so it should work alright... it seems this is a pretty common chop and channel.

I'm 6'1". There should be plenty of room & I'm probably gonna mount the seats on a mounting bracket I'll buy with the seats. At least that's my current plan. I am more concerned with front to back clearance because I like to kikk back in da seat. I've seen plenty of trucks where they sit almost straight up... can't go there! Mite have to extend da cab too. ; - >

Where are u in the process?

BoB

Right now I'm getting the frame back into good shape... I split the x and welded to the side to make room for a new transmission mount and to brace the frame better. I'm in process of boxing the front end right now. Once that's done I can level the frame and mock up the cab to see how much I want to channel the cab. I want to use the original bed too cause both the bed and cab are full of bullet holes.

4_fame.jpg

driverDoor.jpg

under_bed.jpg

Gittin' ready!!!

Well I taped my top chop off today. After measuring teh interiorr space minus the top chop & channel I'm considering going from a 4" chop / 4" channel to a 3"/3". I figure I'll cut 3" off da top & can always cut another 1" off but not easily the other way. I rented a "Pod" for all my tools, parts etc in my garage & now all my tools are unavailable... especially my compressor, welding helmet & Sawzall. I cry!!! I'll be gettin' the Pod delivered this week & will proceed as planned.

BoB

Attachments

• fronttape.jpg
    fronttape.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 89
  • backtaped.jpg
    backtaped.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 88
Haircut!

Okay Tripper, I'll get off your back now. :D It looks like your gettin there. Nice!!

Gastrick,
I needed a little *help* getting back on track... thanks! I've finally gotten my strength back & once I get my tools the cab will b gettin' a haircut!!!

BoB

Glad to see you moving ahead on it Bob. Just a question. Are you planning on slanting the windshield back, or filling the top to move it out to meet the windshield posts?

Reason I ask, if you are going to lay the windshield back, cut less out of the posts than you do in the back, otherwise you will be filling some metal back in to them. As a example, we cut 5 out of my Dodge in the rear, and 3 in the front, because when we laid the posts back, they lose some height.

Just thought I would mention that before you fire up the sawzall.

Don

Photos!

Tripper,
I'm gonna follow your top chop close. Please take lots of photos!

Rattler

Bob, here are the pictures of the front posts, as promised in our PM's. I thought I had more, but this is all I have. Oh, to make leaning the windshield posts easier, we un welded the dash and removed it. It was adding too much strength to the posts and they laid back easier after it was out of there. Only spot welds were holding ours in place. Also notice the tape on the rear and the front. See how much less had to come out of the front? I think the ratio was 5 in back and 3 in front, and it ended up working out just right when it was leaned back.

Hope these help bud.

Don

Attachments

• dodge top cut off.jpg
    dodge top cut off.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 270
  • more chop pix 005.jpg
    more chop pix 005.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 236
  • dodge chop windshield piecut.jpg
    dodge chop windshield piecut.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 262