My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple mo.........

Don

Attachments

• dodge chop front of roof done.jpg
    dodge chop front of roof done.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 175
  • dodge good cab shot after chop.jpg
    dodge good cab shot after chop.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 244
  • dodge good front view after chop 2.jpg
    dodge good front view after chop 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 317
Thanks again!!!

Bob, I think 5 in back 3 in front, if memory serves me correctly.

Don,
Thanks again!!! My stuff is supposed to get here today so I'm really gettin' fired up! Hopefully I will get the deck off by the weekend! This Pod rental has been sort of a hassle too because they have all kinda rules that they don't tell u about!

BoB

Tripper goes topless!!!

Well, the Pod I rented that contained all my tools finally got here this morning & I *could not* wait to get to work!!! The top HAD to come off &... it did!!! Next I'll be taking the chop out of the remaining posts & laying the front posts back! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this sucker will look!!!

BoB

Attachments

• stripe.jpg
    stripe.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 148
  • hacked.jpg
    hacked.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 186
  • topless1.jpg
    topless1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 205
  • topclose.jpg
    topclose.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 166
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
That's what I've been waiting for right there. Looks better already. How are you gonna sleep at night till you see it chopped and the lid set back on?

PS - That was a nice solid cab till you hacked it up :D:D:D

Lo down lid!

That's what I've been waiting for right there. Looks better already. How are you gonna sleep at night till you see it chopped and the lid set back on?

Gastrick,
Tell me!!! I had been waiting so long it just came over me once I got my stuff back & it just happened! It was really fun!

PS - That was a nice solid cab till you hacked it up :D:D:D

I fought with myself when I 1st got it home about chopping it but then I thought... what the hell!!! What would a good truck be without a lowered lid!!!

BoB

Hacked!

that old hack saw has a nice patina but it could use some pinstrips to be truly ol skool:cool:

Moto,
My bad... I'll get right on that! Really I just started the cuts with the hack & then the saber took over but I did hack the front posts!

BoB

1 roadster is enough!!!

Looking good Tripper. And, if things really go bad, you can turn it into a roadster!

Don,
I have fears of that & the roadster thought has crossed my mind but I'm gonna really b careful with this next part as I really want a roof... 1 roadster is enough!

BoB

Makin' up fer lost time!!!

Well, since I got stalled with my move and my tools in storage for the last month I was ready to make up for lost time. Got the top off yesterday & like Gastrick suggested... I couldn't wait to see what it was gonna look like! As always there are some issues to be addressed & those are evident after you put the top back on the lowered body! That's what BIG hammers, saws, come-alongs, torches etc are for... oh boy!!! Now comes the fun part... here's a look @ where I am now!

BoB

Attachments

• hack3.jpg
    hack3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 260
  • frontpost1.jpg
    frontpost1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 263
  • frontpost2.jpg
    frontpost2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 246
  • topchopdiff.jpg
    topchopdiff.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 290
  • topchop.jpg
    topchop.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 317
Wow, you do good work for a guy with only a rusty hacksaw! :rolleyes::D I hear there are places where you can actually buy new blades these days. :D

(sorry, couldn't pass up that shot at you :p)

Looks so much better chopped, love the rear picture. Just a couple of vertical slits in the top section to pull them out and you will be very well aligned. You are really making progress........and yep, that body is super nice to start with. Rear window is spot on.

Don

Attachments

• topchop.jpg
    topchop.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 120
Great job so far! ( you don't have to use old tools on an old truck)

It even lines up pretty good on the posts, mine were at least 2 inches off.

Leanin' da posts!!!

When deciding to chop my truck I wanted to lean the posts back because I like the look. I only chopped 3" so the front post difference would not be so pronounced. Don said I would lose some height when I leaned them back so i only took 2 1/2" out of the front posts. I also knew when I leaned them back teh angle would not be the same so I make the angle the same with my grinder. When I leaned teh posts back this pie cut opened up & I will cut a peice & weld in back in.

BoB

Attachments

• leanpost.jpg
    leanpost.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 199
  • postpiecut.jpg
    postpiecut.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 203
Rear post

The rear post presents this problem... as the cab curves up the resulting top & bottom of the cut are about 1/4" off. I will relief cut this as well, bend out to the cab edge, spot weld & fill in the resulting gap. Overall... it's fitting really well.

BoB

Attachments

• rearpost.jpg
    rearpost.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 177
I usually see that "pie cut" made from the inside, but that way may work well for you, since it makes it easier to match the two sides. The other way you would remove a pie instead of add it. The front post line up well, and the back doesn't look like a problem. Looks real good Trip.

Latest posts

Back