My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress!!!

Well I made some serious progress on my chop this week! I finished up the passenger side door & started cuttin' piees to fill the pie cuts I made on the front posts to lean it on back. I wore my old bones out on a bender to get this thang knocked out & will post some fotos tomorrow! Gots to finish this rascal up so i get started on the Crosley Altered!

BoB

Pictures

OK... a little more work today & some fotos. I did a lot of cuttin' to make the front edge of the door clear & button up some pie cuts. And here's my funky Aces & 8's helmet!

BoB

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 214
  • pass.jpg
    pass.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 213
  • drside3.jpg
    drside3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 304
  • helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Looking good. Are you using a flap disk for that grinding? There is some new stuff out there too. Also the abrasive disks (like sandpaper) that work well too. I dig the helmet, I'd be afraid to scratch it.

Looking good. Are you using a flap disk for that grinding? There is some new stuff out there too.

Bonehead,
So far I've only used a regular grinding disk because it is so much faster but plan to do a little more prep work B4 I prime. What do u suggest?

BoB

The chop is lookin better all the time Bob. I'm really diigin the proportions. Cool helmet too. After I switched to a big window auto darkening helmet, life became so much easier. Be careful making those continuous welds on sheetmetal. She'll wanna warp on ya, but it looks like you're almost finished anyway so it must be working well for you.

A brand new quality 80 grit flap disk, will not only take off metal fast, it really smooths things up well. After that it depends on if you are going to paint, prime, or what. If you go to 120 grit on a flap disk the metal gets pretty slick for paint. Either way it takes a light touch at the end. Don't bear down too much, let the weight of the grinder do the work.

Next!!!

The chop is lookin better all the time Bob. I'm really diigin the proportions. Cool helmet too. After I switched to a big window auto darkening helmet, life became so much easier. Be careful making those continuous welds on sheetmetal. She'll wanna warp on ya, but it looks like you're almost finished anyway so it must be working well for you.

Gastrick,
Thanks... I am ready to move on to the channel now. Seems like this part has taken forever! I'm hopin' to get it sittin' on the frame shortly.

BoB

Thanks!

A brand new quality 80 grit flap disk, will not only take off metal fast, it really smooths things up well. After that it depends on if you are going to paint, prime, or what. If you go to 120 grit on a flap disk the metal gets pretty slick for paint. Either way it takes a light touch at the end. Don't bear down too much, let the weight of the grinder do the work.

Bonehead,
This will b a primered full fendered ratster but I have some other stuff planned there too paint wize. Thanks for the flat disk tip... I'll definitely do that!

BoB

Flap!!!

flap, man flap. Flap disk. It looks like a stack of sand paper on a grinding disk.

Bonehead,
My bad... me typin' skills r very week after I've bean watchin' footsball if u catch my drift! Flap disk... gonna get 1 2day!!!

BoB

air conditioned shop! did you mention something about the truck, i couldn't hear you because i'm still focusing on the air conditioned shop part......:p
Here is how I got my airconditioned shop. When I built my garage I put a small apartment on the second floor. I rent it with all utilities supplied,I ran ducts into garage and when tennant has A/C or heat on i get it too. Works for me also rent is paying for the whole build. Have really enjoyed reading this thread I was at this point a year ago and its been fun watching you do this. I am just now getting around to doing the mail slot thing. Got more experience now I hope LFE

Last edited:
Rainy day blues!

Well, since it's supposed to be raining here all day today & tomorrow... I have no other recourse than to get out in the garage & finish up my chop... fotos later!!!

BoB

Pie cut button ups!

To make hte posts lean back I made pie cuts on the posts & on the dash. Today I was finishing some other areas & filling the pies too! 1st are the upper posts not quite finished & second r the dash fixes after grinding. Should b basically finished tomorrow!!! Yipppeee!!!

BoB

Attachments

• postpies.jpg
    postpies.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 175
  • postbuttonup.jpg
    postbuttonup.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 176
  • passpostb42.jpg
    passpostb42.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 196
  • patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 204
tripper, I just read this whole thread. Wow, some great work. I can't wait to see the channel job as I am planning on doing this on my truck.

Keep up the progress and the pics.. :D

Latest posts

Back