My '41 Ford PU build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress!!!

Well, I have been workin' on the Tripper Truck but it has been pretty ruff goin'! I used the butt weld clamps like in the 1st picture & it left a fairly large gap that wound up being hard to weld. I've decided these clamps would be perfect for braze welding coat hanger style. I like the look of leaning the front posts back & that involved relief cuttin' the upper & lower section of the post & relief cuttin' here & there to make it align well. I'm gettin' there & should be finished by the end of next week. Doors next!!!

BoB

Attachments

• clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 370
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 261
  • toprelief.jpg
    toprelief.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 269
  • weldpost.jpg
    weldpost.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 315
  • frontshot.jpg
    frontshot.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Tripper, I didn't want to say anything about the clamps because everybody has different opinions, but we ended up not using them either for the same reason. We like to get a tight gap, and they left about an 1/8 inch gap. I would have mentioned this, but felt it was best for you to decided for yourself........some people love them.

Truck looks like it is coming along really well though.

Don

Tripper, I didn't want to say anything about the clamps because everybody has different opinions, but we ended up not using them either for the same reason. We like to get a tight gap, and they left about an 1/8 inch gap. I would have mentioned this, but felt it was best for you to decided for yourself........some people love them.

Truck looks like it is coming along really well though.

Don

Don,
I'd never used them & it wasn't a real good experience. I nearly cut the top back off & started over again but decided not to. Next time I'll use the kind Dan did unless I decide to get my coat hanger on! I put a piece of brass behind the gap & got down to business. Also I had a hard time initially with my new welder... I sat out for a couple of days & started back Friday nite & got on a tear & could do no wrong. The stupid aprt was... I had worked *so* hard to make the gap perfect... should have just left it @ that. I am making progress & can't wait to get to the doors!

BoB

BoB

Looks great Tripper. It's a good thing Don warned you about those clamps :D. Do you have any pics of the truck from the side. I've been waiting to see the profile.

Side shots!

Looks great Tripper. It's a good thing Don warned you about those clamps :D. Do you have any pics of the truck from the side. I've been waiting to see the profile.

Gastrick,
No, haven't done that yet... thanks for asking & I'm surprised I didn't do that from the start! Better get to it because that's the reason I did it this way in the 1st place!

BoB

Progress!

Well... after lookin' @ my top chop for a while... I was considerin' cuttin' another 1 1/2" off! Then I decided that would really slow progress down so I worked on the front posts this morning makin' some alignment adjustments. The litttle time I took off gave me a new attitude & I really made progress today. Had to go to work to make a little loot to keep the build goin' so I didn't have time to take pictures... I'll post some tomorrow! It's lookin' good though!

BoB

On to da doors!!!

Well I decided not to chop off more of the top as I'm already behind schedule. I finished up the chop but still have a little "cleaning" up to do but that can wait. Today it was time to move on to the doors & I roughed out the driver's side today. Would have gotten further but multiple interruptions all day long... my day off *never* winds up being my day off!!!:(

BoB

Attachments

• doorgap.jpg
    doorgap.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 237
Schedule... er...

Yes, I sorta had a schedule because I'd like to drive this truck in this lifetime!!! ; - >

Today I worked on the doors again. I opted to lean the windshield posts back so I had to lean the door post back a little to match. I pie cut at the window level and am working my way up. It also left a little gap in the front which I'll fill in with metal & weld up.

BoB

Attachments

• frontjam.jpg
    frontjam.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 217
  • frontpostfront.jpg
    frontpostfront.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 199
  • closepost.jpg
    closepost.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Back post!

The back post is coming along as well. I got everything just about aligned & am nearly ready to weld the top of the door back on after a little more adjusting.

BoB

Attachments

• rearpost.jpg
    rearpost.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 164
  • topfitvert.jpg
    topfitvert.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 250
don't you own a sedan/roadster?

i think i saw pictures elsewhere of another car you built. it was a sedan/roadster. do you have any more pictures of the car and the build?

Doors

Well since I have been lagging on the top chop I thought I'd finish up the driver's door today. After tacking the front & rear uprights on... the upper portion was 1/4" too long so I cut 1/4" out of that piece & tacked it all together to see how it fit. So far so good! Now I just need to go back & weld it all up properly.

BoB

Attachments

• windowdiff.jpg
    windowdiff.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 191
  • quarterchop.jpg
    quarterchop.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 238
  • backhalf.jpg
    backhalf.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 178
  • clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 223
  • driversdoor.jpg
    driversdoor.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
4 of your last pics won't open, but it is looking good. looks like you are getting plenty of practice here. I didn't understand the double cut on the rear upright section.

Whoops!!!

4 of your last pics won't open, but it is looking good. looks like you are getting plenty of practice here. I didn't understand the double cut on the rear upright section.

Bonehead,
I was rearrangin' the fotos... sorry. The double cut was an er... error in judgement... er... measurement! How's that go? Measure once... cut twice?!? ; - > Pass the Budweiser please!!!

BoB

looking great tripper !! the doors was the hardest part for me i didnt think i would ever get them welded back

Measure once... cut twice?!? ; - > Pass the Budweiser please!!!

BoB

You know I am a big fan of metal, and that is one reason. It's only metal. Try cutting a 2x4 in two and putting back together. No big deal, and it might make the second door go better. Looking good.

Latest posts

Back